What does your DFI board report for CPU temps?

palehorse

347 members have voted

1. 1.

• I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by -10C to -20C
    • I believe that my CPU temps are all over the place and have no idea how far they are off!
    • I have no idea.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all new here, this is my input.

What choice did you make in the poll above? Accurate

Motherboard: SLI-DR Expert

Mobo Revision: ???

Mobo BIOS version: Latest

CPU: X2 4200+

CPU ID:

Idle Temp: 39

Load Temp: 43 - 45C

Cooling: Air, in between moving to water

Metal thing?! You mean the heatsink? I wouldn't touch the core though. Hold the CPU at the edges. Never touch the core itself or the metal pins. Chances are nothing would happen, but there is a ever so slight chance you're gonna electrocute the CPU. You don't even have to notice the discharge physically to ruin it.

I'll take off this metal thing - then I'll be able to touch the core - won't I??

@Hirotaro> what metal thing are you referring to? Does it have all the writing on it? if so, then yes, if you use a blade to take it off carefully, your core will be exposed, but this is not something to be done on a whim! lol, so be careful!

@Dinos22> the biggest problem that i'm encountering is determining a CPU's "stock rated output". do you have a link to a table that might show that for the AMD chip lineup?

@Caebron> I didnt realize that the 3700+ had such a low rated output. Where did you find that? anyhow, i redid your math based on the specs in your sig (11x240=2640, right?) so:

Ok, here we go:

2640/2200 = 1.2

1.14 x 1.2 x 67 = 91.656 (Total Output)

35-20 = 15 (CPU Delta) (note that in my previous post I posted my idle temps as 22, not load temps)

15 / 91.656 = 0.1637 Thermal Resistance

now, the key here will be determining whether 67W is the true rated stock output. i seriously didnt realize it could be that low these days. i'm so used to cpu's running 80-110. so if anyone has a chart to confirm AMD's chip wattages, please share! (im thinking that the value i had for mine is suspect now as well !)

@Caebron> I didnt realize that the 3700+ had such a low rated output. Where did you find that? anyhow, i redid your math based on the specs in your sig (11x240=2640, right?) so:

Ok, here we go:

2640/2200 = 1.2

1.14 x 1.2 x 67 = 91.656 (Total Output)

35-20 = 15 (CPU Delta) (note that in my previous post I posted my idle temps as 22, not load temps)

15 / 91.656 = 0.1637 Thermal Resistance

now, the key here will be determining whether 67W is the true rated stock output. i seriously didnt realize it could be that low these days. i'm so used to cpu's running 80-110. so if anyone has a chart to confirm AMD's chip wattages, please share! (im thinking that the value i had for mine is suspect now as well !)

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/de...n=ADA3500DAA4BW

and:

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/

Thanks for redoing the math...! :O

So, what do you think palehorse?

Possibe cause for a previous miscomunication: I noticed that the post you were referring to (the one you were criticising) posted his temps as idle, whereas the formula calls for load temps to achieve CPU Delta. The same applies in my case. The CPU Delta is 15, not 2 as you had thought.

Other than that, from all the reviews (and I've read many) I've read on both air and H2O cooling, there are a few select (air-) heatsinks out there that actually are just about on par with H2O cooling. Granted though, most of these reviews are comparing the sinks with H2O kits rather than custom assembled H2O-cooling. Thermal resistance may look a lil better on H2O cooling, but the water can't be below ambient temps either unless you had the reservoir/radiator airconditioned somehow.

That's just what I've read tho - I don't have any firsthand experience on H2O cooling. And again, the reviews compared to pre-assembled H2O kits, not customized ones.

right on.. ok, i dont want to take this thread/poll too far off topic in discussing the thermal resistance formulas and whatnot, but there are two threads you may wish to check out (one is mine, and the other is a tool that calculates a few variables that may alter the math here)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88393

and

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71044

That said, thanks much for the links! I didnt even think to check AMD's spec sheets..duh. I went off on a wild google chase when i should have gone to the actual source...DOH!

on another note, your temps DO appear to be accurate given your stated delta and calculated thermal resistance which falls into the range for your HS! and they are nice temps, so congrats!

Unfortunately, mine still appear to be off by 15C or so...DOH!

(I'm still trying to figure out if TDP or MaxCasetemp effect the math, so wish me luck there...)

@Hirotaro> what metal thing are you referring to? Does it have all the writing on it? if so, then yes, if you use a blade to take it off carefully, your core will be exposed, but this is not something to be done on a whim! lol, so be careful!

I've done it before with Venice 3000+ so I believe I'll make it :D

I wonder what is the real temperature of my CPU. Thinking about Water Cooling...

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe mine is 10-20C low.

Motherboard: SLI-DR Expert

Mobo Revision: 1.0 / A3

Mobo BIOS version: 12/7 Official

CPU: 3800+ X2 dual core stock

CPU ID: JH-E6

Idle Temp: 20C

Load Temp: 30C

Cooling: Zalman CNPS9500