What does your DFI board report for CPU temps?

palehorse

347 members have voted

1. 1.

• I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by -10C to -20C
    • I believe that my CPU temps are all over the place and have no idea how far they are off!
    • I have no idea.

I believe that my CPU temps are all over the place and have no idea how far they are off!

At load mine runs about 40-42c but sometimes it jumps up by 5c and then immediately return to normal. idle temps 30-32c

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, i wasnt trying to flame you or anyone else, and im sorry if it came out that way. I apologize!

The point that I was trying to make, but i guess it came out very wrong, is that many people are not aware of the inaccuracy of their readings. Those who voted that they believe their readings to be accurate, then go on to post their info showing sub-30C temps on air-cooling, are examples of the people who DFI and AMD need to reach out to and educate on the subject of cpu temps; especially as overclocking becomes more and more prevelant.

I also have to question your probe reading. a delta of 2C between ambient and CPU is unheard of (read: near impossible!), even with custom water systems! Again, im not attacking you here personally. Where exactly did you place your probe when testing, and how was it held in place? what type of probe was it? What type of HSF are you using? Is your chip naked?

again, I apologize for using your post to try and make my point. I never meant to flame or single you out. That's not my style at all...

No prob, bro ;) Sorry if I misunderstood your intention.

I placed the probe directly and securely underneath the CPU and between the pins (using a small piece of thermal tape to hold it in place) - before dropping the CPU into it's socket. I am using a SI-120 with a Sunon fan (~90cfm). The 90cfm are admittedly a total overkill tho - turning the fan down from 4000rpm to 2000rpm bring no change in temps at all, probably due to the heatpipes cooling taking care of the actually cooling and the fan only needing to run at a minimum to allow the heatpipe liquid (gas) to cool suffiently. I have 1x 120mm exhaust, 1x 120mm intake & 180mm intake, plus the 80mm PSU exhaust if you wanna count that one. I use a Aluminum case, a thirdparty chipset fan (which dropped my chipset temps from 54 to 44 idle). Careful cable routing and sleeving has improved airflow dramatically thus helping drop my temps (PWM IC 28). Last but not least the Arctic Cooler exhausts the GPU's hot air directly out of the case instead recycling the same air over and over.

To be honest, up until yesterday I would have totally agreed with you. I could hardly believe how cool the CPU was running and thought my temp readings were totally off. Then I flashed to a different BIOS and thought my temps had increased by ~10c, (which later turned out to be a mistake bcuz MBM5 was reporting wrong after the flash) so I decided to get to the bottom of things and use the probe.

Of course there is the possibility of the probe reading being off as well, but honestly I doubt it. So without the necessity of getting more academic, I accept my temp readings as fact.

No prob, bro ;) Sorry if I misunderstood your intention.

I placed the probe directly and securely underneath the CPU and between the pins - before dropping the CPU into it's socket. I am using a XP-120 with a Sunon fan (~90cfm). I have 1x 120mm exhaust, 1x 120mm intake & 180mm intake, plus the 80mm PSU exhaust if you wanna count that one. I use a Aluminum case, a thirdparty chipset fan (which dropped my chipset temps from 54 to 44 idle). Careful cable routing and sleeving has improved airflow dramatically thus helping drop my temps (PWM IC 28). Last but not least the Arctic Cooler exhausts the GPU's hot air directly out of the case instead recycling the same air over and over.

interesting probe placement. how the heck did you squeeze it between the pins and still get it into the socket? damnn, nice work!

have you calculated your thermal resistence using this forumla? Please try it and post your results. thanks ahead of time!

(Current vcore/stock vcore)*(Current MHz/stock MHz)*reated stock power output = Total Output

Here is the thermal resistance formula:

cpu delta = (cpu load) - (room ambient)

thermal resistance = (cpu delta) / (total output from above)

interesting probe placement. how the heck did you squeeze it between the pins and still get it into the socket? damnn, nice work!

have you calculated your thermal resistence using the forumla in this thread? if you get a chance, please do so and post it for me plz. thanks ahead of time!

Some cutting was necessary - the actual metal part of the probe is less than 1mm, surrounded by lots of plastic (if that's what it is. i simply cut the plastic to the minimum leaving the metal part protected. The actual cable runs between the pins and the sensor is taped squat underneath the core. Drop into socket, close lever, done.

What formula is that? I didn't read the entire thread (which btw may be the reason for misunderstanding your post). Could you give me a direct link?

Ok, here we go:

1.14 x 1.02 x 67 = 77.9076 (Total Output)

35-20 = 15 (CPU Delta) (note that in my previous post I posted my idle temps as 22, not load temps)

15 / 77.9076 = 0.192 Thermal Resistance

Updated!

EDIT: From my research on the web so far, I've gotten different data as to the thermal resistance specs for the SI-120. Thermalright's website doesn't specify any thermal resistance. From other sites I was able to gather that this particular sink is rated anywhere between 0.19 c/w to 0.13 c/w - go figure.

Thanks for the inspiration palehorse, I'm gonna be busy for the next few days!

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe mine is accurate.

Motherboard: SLI-DR

Mobo Revision: AD0

Mobo BIOS version: 704-2

CPU: X2 4800+ @2.8Ghz 1.5vcore

Idle Temp: 31C

Load Temp: 45-48C