What does your DFI board report for CPU temps?

palehorse

347 members have voted

1. 1.

• I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by -10C to -20C
    • I believe that my CPU temps are all over the place and have no idea how far they are off!
    • I have no idea.

my results based on the innacurate readings:

cpu delta = 10

Total W = 159.50

themal resistense = 0.062696

so now what? basically all i determined was that my temps are being reported incorrectly. there is no chart anywhere that can tell you what your actual resistance should be based on whatever HSF you use... is there? Where did you get the 0.18C/W value?

using the same would give me 49.71 load temps, so it's closer, but there's still no mathematical way to determine real temps, right? i wish...

general research into the subject of HSF permformance gave me the same finding: My temps are reported wrong.

basically some CPU coolers will state what their thermal resistance is

it can be said that high end air coolers will normally have around 0.18C/W Thermal Resistance.......mid range is around 0.20-0.21 and low end 0.23-0.24.....there is not much in it.....also it really depends what sort of cases and fans are used and a whole bunch of other crap................you have a decent cooler so just use 0.18 value and....as you've calculated you're around 50C load rather than the reported Expert temp.........hence needs fixing :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C

Motherboard: SLI-D

Mobo Revision: ???

Mobo BIOS version: 704-2BTA

CPU: 3500+ Venice E6

CPU ID:

Idle Temp: 22C

Load Temp: 35C

Cooling: Air

What choice did you make in the poll above? are off by -10C to -20C

Motherboard: SLI-DR Expert

Mobo Revision: A02

Mobo BIOS version: 12/7 Official

CPU: A64 3500+ Venice E6

CPU ID: ???

Idle Temp: 22C (37C Compensated)

Load Temp: 27C (42C Compensated)

Cooling: SI-120+AKASA Amber 120mm

No way to have 22*C when I've got 20 in the room.

More revision soon - when temp moitoring diode will arive => changed compensation will be and more accurate data.

what type of temp monitor are you getting? how will you get it anywhere near the core?

the best that I was able to do was place a probe on the bottom of the HS just next to the chip. I did so by sliding it underneath the socket AFTER mounting the HSF.

It reports 29C idle when the system reports 22C, so atleast it's closer, but unfortunately it's also off by enough to make it pretty useless as well... there is just no way to measure the core temps accurately with a remote probe of any type that I'm aware of. With the HSF mounted, you cant get anywhere near it! so now what?

hence the importance of fixing the onboard sensors!!

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate.

Motherboard: Ultra-D

Mobo BIOS version: 11/14/05

CPU : Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2441MHz(244x10)

CPU Idle : 26°C

CPU load: 38°C

Cooling: Stock Air

Room Temperature: Approx. 24°C

-EDIT-

Increased my CPU voltage recently, OCed my 3200+ to 2650MHz(10x265), and temps went up about 2°C on either end.

CPU idle: 28-30°C

CPU load: 38-40°C

I still believe my temps are accurate, though.

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate.

Motherboard: Ultra-D

Mobo BIOS version: 11/14/05

CPU : Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2441MHz(244x10)

CPU Idle : 26°C

CPU load: 38°C

Room Temperature: Approx. 24°C

yet another example of someone who thinks that their temps are accurate when there is no way for that to be true. your CPU cannot be 2C above ambient with simple air cooling. it is more than likely ATLEAST 10C higher. sorry :(

there is a definate trend here in terms of awareness, or rather the lackthereof.

What choice did you make in the poll above? CPU temps are off by -10C to -20C

Motherboard: SLI-DR Expert

Mobo Revision: ???

Mobo BIOS version: 12/07/05 Official

CPU: Athlon64 X2 3800+ Toledo

CPU ID:

Idle Temp: 22C

Load Temp: 32C

Cooling: Thermaltake Big Typhoon

yet another example of someone who thinks that their temps are accurate when there is no way for that to be true. your CPU cannot be 2C above ambient with simple air cooling. it is more than likely ATLEAST 10C higher. sorry :(

there is a definate trend here in terms of awareness, or rather the lackthereof.

My room temp is 20C, my CPU temp is 22. After having used a probe I now believe my temps are in fact, correct.

Constructive criticism or feedback is best applied without judgement and hype. If not, then it is by it's very nature not constructive and serves no other purpose than to flame others. Sorry.

@palehorse

The idea of this thread is quite constructive, but if it's used to simply questioning specific peoples judgment, I think it has lost its purpose. Let everyone who wish to post their data and opinion do that without being in public criticized. A comment like "yet another example of someone" isn't nice and it doesn't encourage others to participate. Frankly it resembles an authoritarian old-school teacher who's giving his pupils a row about how worthless they are.

Your intentions are certaily well ment, so let the thread go on, then publicize after a while well based findings and tests - not hypothesisses - which can be helpful for all of us.

Good luck in your work! :)

what type of temp monitor are you getting? how will you get it anywhere near the core?

I think that touching the core with the sensor - after aplying Radiator - will be quite close. Not the 100% right, but for sure better than MoBo readings.

My room temp is 20C, my CPU temp is 22. After having used a probe I now believe my temps are in fact, correct.

Constructive criticism or feedback is best applied without judgement and hype. If not, then it is by it's very nature not constructive and serves no other purpose than to flame others. Sorry.

For the record, i wasnt trying to flame you or anyone else, and im sorry if it came out that way. I apologize!

The point that I was trying to make, but i guess it came out very wrong, is that many people are not aware of the inaccuracy of their readings. Those who voted that they believe their readings to be accurate, then go on to post their info showing sub-30C temps on air-cooling, are examples of the people who DFI and AMD need to reach out to and educate on the subject of cpu temps; especially as overclocking becomes more and more prevelant.

I also have to question your probe reading. a delta of 2C between ambient and CPU is unheard of (read: near impossible!), even with custom water systems! Again, im not attacking you here personally. Where exactly did you place your probe when testing, and how was it held in place? what type of probe was it? What type of HSF are you using? Is your chip naked?

again, I apologize for using your post to try and make my point. I never meant to flame or single you out. That's not my style at all...