Sign in to follow this  
palehorse

What does your DFI board report for CPU temps?

347 members have voted

1. 1.

• I believe that the reported CPU temperatures are accurate
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by less than -10C
    • I believe that the reported CPU temps are off by -10C to -20C
    • I believe that my CPU temps are all over the place and have no idea how far they are off!
    • I have no idea.

I think if my Ultra-D is off is by less than 10 degrees. Another Ultra-D with the same hardware use to measure 32C idle instead of 28C with the new one. Maybe I just did a better job with the thermal and heatsink placement.

Motherboard: NF4 UT Ultra-D

Mobo Revision: ? (new)

Mobo BIOS version: 704-BT

CPU: 3800+ X2 @ 2520MHz

Room Temp: 25C

Idle Temp: 28C

Load Temp: 46C

Cooling: Air - TT Polo 735 (3900 rpm)

Marcelo

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe mine is off less than 10C.

Motherboard: LP NF4 Ultra-D

Mobo Revision: ???

Mobo BIOS version: 704-2BTA

CPU: Opteron 146

CPU ID: ???

Idle Temp: 27C

Load Temp: 34C

Cooling: Water

What choice did you make in the poll above? I have no idea.

Motherboard: Ultra D

Mobo Revision: AD0

Mobo BIOS version: 062303

CPU: X2 4400+ (CCBWE 0536XPMW)

2.5Ghz @1.45v

Idle Temp: 22C

Load Temp: 36C

Cooling: Big Typhoon

Added: Ambient 22C

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe mine is off less than 10C.

Motherboard: Ultra D

Mobo BIOS version: 6/23/05

CPU: Opteron 146: CAB2E 0546FPAW

CPU ID: ???

Idle Temp: 38C

Load Temp: 48C

Cooling: Air (XP-90)

What choice did you make in the poll above? I believe mine is accurate.

Motherboard: SLI-DR

Mobo Revision: AD0

Mobo BIOS version: 704-2

CPU: 4400x2 @2.6Ghz 1.41vcore

Ambient Temp 20-21

Idle Temp: 29-30C

Load Temp: 40-41C

Cooling: Air

NC™

What choice did you make in the poll above? Mine seems to be within the normal range. Definately < 10C off the mark.

Motherboard: NF4 Ultra D

Mobo BIOS version: 6/23/05

CPU: X2 3800+ @ 2.6Ghz 1.55v

CPU ID: ??

Idle Temp: 31C

Load Temp: 44-45C

Cooling: Air on XP-90 + 92mm Panaflow

2.5Ghz 1.55v

Idle: 29C

Load: 43-45C

2.4Ghz 1.45

Idle: 28C

Load: 40-43C

Stock 2.0Ghz w/ Stock Voltage

No Idea, Never Looked, No Desire to know

Ok I did some air flow and voltage optimizations @ 2.4Ghz ~1.425v

Idle: 28C

Load: 38C

Dropped Full Load temp by 2C

Also lowered memory from 2.8v to 2.6v since I'm not OCing the memory at this speed. Don't think that made too much difference in temps but you never know.

i hope that some of you do realize that temps below 30C are not very likely using Air for cooling unless your ambient temps are arctic. Theoretically it's possible, but not altogether likely, especially if your overclocking! Even some of the decent water solutions dont actually give you below 30C idle, so maybe that puts it into perspective. (most of the benefit in watercooling is in reducing the delta between idle and load temps!)

So alot of users who believe their system is reporting accurately are actually wrong... and that is basically the point of this poll and thread! so please keep that data coming! I think that DFI will be genuinely interested to see the results, and ALOT of users could benefit from whatever fixes they put out in terms of temperature reporting. (Alot of Ultra-D and Expert owners especially!)

This will also aid in raising the support and customer awareness of their temperature reporting accuracy, or lackthereof...

I have an SLI-DR Expert board, the bios temps are consistently 10 to 15 degrees less that when I look at what everest tells me.

my Everest reports much higher temps as well, but nobody has been able to tell me why it's the only program to do so. Also, those higher temps dont fluctuate AT ALL under load, so it pretty much makes them null and void in terms of accuracy...

excellant thread palehorse

have 4 boxes, 3 lian li / 1 lanboy,1 sli-dr,3 ultra-d, ambient temp in room 74F , lian li- boards all run at 32C (90F) motherboard, 30C (86F) cpu , all lian li with xp-90c's that are mirrored finished with panaflo fans , infact ya could shave in the bottoms of them....hehe

the lanboy runs at about 5 -7C higher but it has an xp-90/panaflo...all temps from everest ultimate edition and mine Do show fluctuation from idle to load...

i think you need to bring all factors in, cases make a big difference because the different metals all 'hold & dissapate' heat differently, so is it the board or the case it is in....what about airflow? one cable can redirect air flow from behind the board to infront of it causing a 'hot pocket' of air, especially if you have a removeable motherboard tray.

thinks dfi would be interested but there are so many factors that need to be 'factored in' it would be daunting process unless it truely is a motherboard problem..

just my 2 cents :)

excellant thread palehorse

have 4 boxes, 3 lian li / 1 lanboy,1 sli-dr,3 ultra-d, ambient temp in room 74F , lian li- boards all run at 32C (90F) motherboard, 30C (86F) cpu , all lian li with xp-90c's that are mirrored finished with panaflo fans , infact ya could shave in the bottoms of them....hehe

the lanboy runs at about 5 -7C higher but it has an xp-90/panaflo...all temps from everest ultimate edition and mine Do show fluctuation from idle to load...

i think you need to bring all factors in, cases make a big difference because the different metals all 'hold & dissapate' heat differently, so is it the board or the case it is in....what about airflow? one cable can redirect air flow from behind the board to infront of it causing a 'hot pocket' of air, especially if you have a removeable motherboard tray.

thinks dfi would be interested but there are so many factors that need to be 'factored in' it would be daunting process unless it truely is a motherboard problem..

just my 2 cents :)

thankyou, and well put!

Actually, the problem for alot of us needs less specificity because the temps being reported are SO far off that it becomes obvious that it is either the Mobo or CPU. In another thread we were able to gather enough information to show that it was not specific to any particular type of CPU, so it pretty much points to the mobo, and how the DFI boards go about measuring/reporting the temps.

If you scan through the results above, you will notice that alot of boards are reporting temps that are pretty much unrealistic and well below their actual values. The result is twofold: first, for those of us "in the know," we have to go about OCing our systems blindly in terms of temperature, and that's bad juju. Second, those who dont realize that their temps are being reported wrong will go around thinking their Air-cooling solution is giving them temps in the low-to-mid 20's, which isnt very likely at all unless they're living in a refrigerator.

So raising awareness AND getting DFI to address this problem is my goal. I figured the best way I could do both was in collecting the data here. The poll will go to show the level of awareness, and the actual text posts containing specific data will provide the engineers with some feedback.

wish me luck in my crusade to remedy this problem because I'd really hate to fry my chips because I'm OCing semi-blind!