Sign in to follow this  
Guest maelstrom_merged

Unexplainable problems

Guest maelstrom

I built my system right before Christmas and have been getting some problems.

1. My DVD drive seems to be transfering files from a DVD really slowly. I tried to transfer a 45 Meg file from a DVD. This is a DVD that is known to be good (used on same drive before rebuild and on other computers). When I transfered file the system froze for about 2 minutes with intermitent periods that unfroze for a few seconds. An estimated transfer time of 45 minutes then came up and took about 25 minutes.

2. Sometimes the system will slow down a lot. When using photoshop today the system froze and then ran slow(slower than my laptop which is a 1.7GHZ Intel). I was only working with a 5 meg file.

3. Upon restarting the computer still ran slow. The bios booted up fine to the windows loading screen. From there it took about 5 minutes to get to the user log on screen to come up. After clicking on a user it took anther 5 minutes to load.

4. When I go to open a folder. Sometimes explorer will freeze up and has to be manually shut down. If I then try the same folder again it will work.

5. Half life 2 will freeze for a second or two avery few minutes, even while playing single player. Feels like you are getting lag spikes, except it is single player.

Some of these problems were there from the very begging on my install, from a fresh install. These problems also don't happen on a consistent basis, but happen frequently enough. Certain programs seem to trigger these problems more often.

Memtest passes fine run for 48 hours. Prime95 runs solid for 24 hours.

I have built many systems before, although not with a DFI board, and never had these type problems. I consider myself somewhat knowledgable, but by no means an expert. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know.

1. Well, assuming nothing has changed... have you checked for viruses and spyware?

2. Do you have CPU throttling disabled? If the system gets hot.. this will slow ya down.

Guest maelstrom

I run a spyware check every night and virus check every week. Unless a virus has disabled some part of the scanner, there are no viruses.

The cpu is not throttled.

No I am not getting any system errors asides from what is described.

I havn't tested the voltage of my PSU under load conditions with a meter. According to MBM the voltage seems to be in check to the CPU. I was thinking this could be a problem but I am really not drawing that much power for a 600W supply (unless there is a defect)

I have the 12/07 bios.

Thank You everyone for any help

Sounds like you have installed more than one virus scanner / spyware scanner. They can interfere with each other quite nicely... resulting in even nicer delays... like the one you describe here

Can you use taskmanager to check your performance when this happens? I had a similar problem after installing a HP printer. It installed something called StatusClient or something like that and it was periodically taking over my system and using 100% CPU. This slowed everything else to a crawl. Anyway, check with taskmanager and if you see your CPU usage at 100%, go into processes and look to see what is taking all of your CPU cycles. Also, if you haven't installed an HP printer, keep in mind that other things can cause this as well. The only thing I didn't experience was your #3, but the other stuff like using PhotoShop, burning DVDs, and opening folders was the same for me.

Sure sounds like you've been hijacked....run your antivirus from "safe mode" if that doesn't detect anything go to run msconfig....see if you got some wierd stuff loading on startup....last but not least....get online and have Trend Housecall scan your PC...it's free....recently detected 3 trojans and a few trackers that Norton didn't know existed....cleaned it all! Good luck