Sign in to follow this  
deeselcyde

is a 1.71 cpu voltage to high?

god id love some phase change. IMO keep it below 1.55v on air and below 1.6 on water. as for phase change well 1.7 i spose. regardless of temps. alsom id say if my temps go above 50 then its not good. i will not run above 50. :)

Guest thespin
i will not run above 50. :)

50*C is 122*F. I believe temps in Death Valley get above that so I wouldn't consider that really hot. What I am more concerned about is 'bleeding' from over voltage. But the fact that ludeboy has his 3200 Venice up to 1.82V is encouraging though temps probably also play a smaller factor in 'bleeding' ...

I think 1.8 is too high... i dont see its worth giving that much juice and overload it just for couple hundred mhz which you will see no performance increase.. well..if its all about getting to 3.0G, there u have it...!

The general consensus aroung here seems to be 1.55v MAX for air cooling. 1.6 if you are water cooling.

Yet the overclocking guide states 1.65v.. right at this site.

This wasn't to argue that one voltage is more optimal than another, but to show that every person has a different opinion, and the only person who can state what voltage would be ok would be an engineer for AMD.

1.7v is quite high.

1.82 got me to 3.1ghz....just been tryin it out the last few days

but basically i have ran at 3ghz w/ 1.79 volts since i built this back in august or something when i went phase......hahahah

Over about 1.65 the temps start jumping drasticly indicating some "bleed" and therefore risk of failuer. There are actualy a paper from IBM about this from a year or so ago. I actualy went up to 1.95on my whenchester just to see what would happen nothing really did other than it getting very warm. I went back down to 1.74 and continued running as usual. I was able to do ths for most of a year I did eventaly kill it though it really doesnt seem like it was the normal volts but simple carlessness when I was rushing something before work. that did it though it probibily did not help to be running high. I was planning on replacing it soon anyway so I was doing those " tests".

Guest thespin

It seems from the posts I have read that the more compact the architecture, the more careful and conservative you have to be with voltages and temps. The 90nm architecture doesn't do well over 1.6V or over 60*C while the older 110(?)nm architecture appeared to be able to go over 80*C ... (can't remember voltages) ... just my perception ...

It's not just temperatures which rise with voltages, the risk of other damage (e.g. quantum tunnelling by electrons) rises as well. The smaller the die size the greater the risk of damage.

Hm... I'm running my A64 Venice 3200+ @2700MHz with voltage 1.7515 (1.550 * 113%) and the temperature is around 44°C in load and around 35°C when idle. I hope it doesn't frie too soon :)

i have tested under phase

venice 3000.....1,82vcore....8 hours run

opty 146.....1,8 vcore....12 hours run

3700 SD....1,82 vcore....4 hours run

i do 1,65 with my 3000 on air for 24/7 for 5 months

but i feel a lot more relaxed when throwing volts to a 130 euros cpu...the opty is a lot more stressfull....more expensive

like was said before.....90nm core is more fragile.....so....i guess its up to u to decide to take the risk.....cause there is a risk