DFI Expert:are there any new bios?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to know how good e704-2bt?? has anyone here try it out? right now i'm using 12/7 bios... and can hit 300 with my gskill fx tccd timing 2.5-4-3-6.. wanna try 2.5-3-3-6

This is a bit off topic but could you please post your bios settings that allow for those timings? I've got the same ram and can't get it stable above 275. If you don't wanna post you could im me or email me at [email protected].

I've been waiting for a new bios to correct the tccd problems, but if I could run stable at 300 2.5-4-3-6 as you are I would be content.

Thanks in advance!

For Psitech and others...

i just flashed to bios E704-2BT.. n can run with timing 2.5-4-3-5.. memtest pass, super pi 32m pass... and ram stress test for 6 hour stable...

my settings...

Opteron 144 CACJE 0546 BPAW

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR eXpert (Bios E704-2BT)

Gskill F1-3200DSU2-1GBFX PC3200 (2x512mb)

Enermax Iron FMA 535w

FSB Bus Frequency 300MHz

LDT / FSB Frequency Ratio x 3.0

LDT Bus Transfer Width 16 16

CPU / FSB Frequency Ratio x 9.0

PCI eXpress Frequency 100MHz

K8 Cool 'n' Quiet Support Disable

CPU VID Startup Value Startup

CPU VID Control 1.400V

CPU VID Special Control Above VID * 102.4%

LDT Voltage Control 1.20V

Chipset Voltage Control 1.52V

Dram Voltage Control 2.72V

Dram Configuration

Dram Frequency Set (MHz) 200=RAM/FSB : 01/01

Command Per Clock (CPC) Enable

Cas Latency Control (Tcl) 2.5

Ras# to Cas# Delay (Trcd) 04

Min Ras# Active Time (Tras) 05

Row Precharge Time (Trp) 03

Row Cycle Time (Trc) 08

Row Refresh Cycle Time (Trfc) 13

Row to Row delay (Trrd) 03

Write recovery Time (Twr) 03

Write to Read Delay (Twtr) 02

Read to Write delay (Trwt) 03

Refresh Period (Tref) 4708 cycles (166MHz 1.95us*)

Dram Bank Interleaved Enabled

DQS Skew Control Auto

DQS Skew Value 0

Dram Drive Strength Level 01

Dram Data Drive Strength Auto

Max Async Latency 08.0 nano sec

Dram response time Fast

Read preamble Time 05.0 nano sec

Idle Cycle Limit 016 clks

Dynamic Counter Enable

R/W Queue Bypass 16x

Bypass Max 04x

32 Byte Granularity Disable (4 Bursts)

I have been curious for some time now about what the real differences are between two BIOS versions for the same motherboard are? Besides just the changing of on-screen settings like DRAM Drive Strenght or available dividers. For example say I have 2 identical Expert motherboards. One of them is running the official DFI 12/07/05 BIOS version and the other one is running the modded E704-2BT version. Both systems have the same hardware as well (CPU, RAM, PSU, GPU, etc....). I realize that even 2 systems with the same exact hardware won't perform the same or have the same potential. Last but not least both systems are setup with the same exact BIOS settings (I also realize that the modded BIOS doesn't have all the same available settings as the DFI 12/07/05 does).

So given the above situation, both systems being basically the same with the same BIOS settings what would be different? The only one I know about is the different "romsip"on the modded E704-2BT. The E704-2BT has a "-2" romsip which is more optimized for UTT/BH/CH/etc... I guess the differences I'm interested in could be called the "Low Level" differences, that is you can't see the differences becasue there programing differences.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be greatly appreciated. Plus thanks in advance for bearing with me on my above questions as I don't really know much about the technical aspects of BIOS programming. Thanks

I have been curious for some time now about what the real differences are between two BIOS versions for the same motherboard are? Besides just the changing of on-screen settings like DRAM Drive Strenght or available dividers. For example say I have 2 identical Expert motherboards. One of them is running the official DFI 12/07/05 BIOS version and the other one is running the modded E704-2BT version. Both systems have the same hardware as well (CPU, RAM, PSU, GPU, etc....). I realize that even 2 systems with the same exact hardware won't perform the same or have the same potential. Last but not least both systems are setup with the same exact BIOS settings (I also realize that the modded BIOS doesn't have all the same available settings as the DFI 12/07/05 does).

So given the above situation, both systems being basically the same with the same BIOS settings what would be different? The only one I know about is the different "romsip"on the modded E704-2BT. The E704-2BT has a "-2" romsip which is more optimized for UTT/BH/CH/etc... I guess the differences I'm interested in could be called the "Low Level" differences, that is you can't see the differences becasue there programing differences.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be greatly appreciated. Plus thanks in advance for bearing with me on my above questions as I don't really know much about the technical aspects of BIOS programming. Thanks

I emailed OCZ Tony and he said the only difference between his bios and the official 12/7 bios is the memory timings. As well, he said that the timings table he used are friendly with all RAM. Just to let ya know... ;)

It must be nice to have connections like that, thank you very much for asking the source! Now I promise I'm not just being thickheaded here but when he says, "the only differene between his bios and the official 12/07 bios is the memory timings", well does mean the timings that we all have access to have been changed from the official version (The settings that we all see in the Genie Advanced BIOS section/the optimized defaults)? Or are those memory timings some other value that we as the consumer don't see, that is these timings changes take place in the background (Settings that we don't have access to)?

I'm pretty sure that the changes to the "Timings Tables" are changes that happen in the background that we don't have access to? With that said I am supprised I thought all along that the E704-2BT BIOS was optimized for UTT/BH-5 RAM because of the "-2" romsip? I don't think I'm the only one who thought that?

Again thank you very much d3MOn for taking the time to ask the source about the E704-2BT BIOS version, much apprecaited!

no problem... I'm assuming that by changing the memory timings in the bios it means that probably the ones you can't see have been changed as well as the defaults in the bios actual. Its just that the timings you can't see are now loosened sufficiently that it will run the higher latency RAM more efficiently and probably will improve overclock of the htt for all RAM. I have extensively worked with my G. skill 2x1Gb HZ set on the 12/7 bios and now I know its max capabilities on this bios. I am definitely going to flash Tony's bios to see if I can maybe get a little further overclocking my sticks. I probably won't be flashing till this weekend sometime or later, but I will post my results when I get done tweaking it (which may be a week or 2 to really map out the differences in the performance). Hope this will help you!!

d3MOn,

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated! I take it you have not used the E704-2BT BIOS yet? I have used both used the official 12/07 and the modded E704-2BT and liked them both. When I first got my DFI board I had a 1GB kit of PQI Turbo Platinum DPU TCCD modules (Used the the 12/07 version with them). I then picked up a 1GB kit of Mushkin Redline UTT modules and I flashed to E704-2BT before I even isntalled them (At the time I thought that BIOS was optimized for UTT/BH-5 RAM). Unfortunelty I only had about a week to test and play around with both the Redline modules and the modded BIOS because I had to RMA the memory.

While my Mushkin RAM was away at RMA I bought the same RAM you currenlty have (2GBHZ GSSkills). Before I installed those I flashed to the DFI official 12/07 version thinking it would be better for that RAM. Again I only had about 2 weeks to test that BIOS along with that RAM before I got my Mushkin RAM back from RMA and sold the GSkill.

Now I have the Mushkin UTT RAM installed along with the 12/07 BIOS but I'm -thinking about switching back to the E704-2BT modded version because I think it was a better match for the UTT RAM? We'll see, I'm going to give it a few more days before I got back to the modded BIOS. I will also keep everyone posted on how both BIOS versions do with my higher voltage RAM. Take it easy and keep us posted on your BIOS version tests!

No, I haven't used the E704-2BT bios yet. Now this is just a theory, but I honestly think that when DFI made the 12/7 bios (or earlier) that what they had in mind was that enthusiasts would want the super low CL RAM that is all the rage for these high end athlon 64 systems and set the bios timings as such. It just so happens that the RAM that has and works well with the super tight timings are the UTT/BH-5 type modules. If Tony loosened the timings, then we should see higher bandwidth and tighter bios setting timings for ANY ram modules. As well, some of the higher CL RAM will probably work better if that is the case because they probably couldn't handle the tight default timings in the 12/7 bios version. This is why I'm flashing... so I can test my theory. :D I'll definitely keep you posted though!

d3MOn,

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated! I take it you have not used the E704-2BT BIOS yet? I have used both used the official 12/07 and the modded E704-2BT and liked them both. When I first got my DFI board I had a 1GB kit of PQI Turbo Platinum DPU TCCD modules (Used the the 12/07 version with them). I then picked up a 1GB kit of Mushkin Redline UTT modules and I flashed to E704-2BT before I even isntalled them (At the time I thought that BIOS was optimized for UTT/BH-5 RAM). Unfortunelty I only had about a week to test and play around with both the Redline modules and the modded BIOS because I had to RMA the memory.

While my Mushkin RAM was away at RMA I bought the same RAM you currenlty have (2GBHZ GSSkills). Before I installed those I flashed to the DFI official 12/07 version thinking it would be better for that RAM. Again I only had about 2 weeks to test that BIOS along with that RAM before I got my Mushkin RAM back from RMA and sold the GSkill.

Now I have the Mushkin UTT RAM installed along with the 12/07 BIOS but I'm -thinking about switching back to the E704-2BT modded version because I think it was a better match for the UTT RAM? We'll see, I'm going to give it a few more days before I got back to the modded BIOS. I will also keep everyone posted on how both BIOS versions do with my higher voltage RAM. Take it easy and keep us posted on your BIOS version tests!