DFI Expert:are there any new bios?

The chipset on my expert never goes above 41C on full load 24/7 overclocked per my sig. I haven't done anything to it. I really don't see the need for a chipset mod on this mobo, but if you want 5-10C cooler you might go with that nice Vantec iceberg chipset cooler and some AS5. Whatever floats yer boat man, but I think you'll probably only see 2-3C difference by AS5ing the DFI chipset cooler.

thanks for the advice mate. WIll go very slowly and steady. Do you think I should remove the fan for the mobo chip and scape off the tim and replace with arctic silver? How much of a difference does this make?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

richiec77 Hi,

Im firing up my Expert, for the first time, in just a few hours after I clean todays pallete of things to do.

Just wanted to comment on your last question. Cleaning your chipset and replacing with AS5 will help if you plan to overvolt your board, and as with me will be less of a worry knowing that you have a good mating between cooler and chip-set. It really is sooo easy to do, no special tools absolutely neccessary. I didnt use the guide, but its there and the pics are pretty self expanitory. Good Luck Mate.

They didn't name it the "Expert" for no reason... If you didn't want to have to work to get it to be "one of the most stable boards" you've ever had, then you shouldn't have gotten a board with the title "Expert". That, to me, implies that you should REALLY know what you are doing before trying to tackle the board.

Like you, it took me some work to get everything up and working correctly, but I love the board. Just because people who don't know what they are doing with it think its a pain in the butt doesn't make it a bad board. It just means they need to think twice before getting something that may be hard to deal with. Especially if you're easlily frustrated.

In other words... Don't get something with the label "Expert" if you're not already one or plan on doing enough research to become one. I'm sure there will be new bioses for the board like every other board, but it will definitely take time if you want a bios that will make the board any easier to deal with. That is probably why they are taking so long to get out a new bios. Companies like DFI don't just crank out new bioses so people can play with them. They listen to complaints, try to isolate bugs, and tweak the bioses accordingly. Besides, the Expert is a fairly new board... Just be patient. ;)

hey m8 I think you may have read into my post a bit too deeply as I didn't imply any of those things (Well except the fact that I could certaily benefit from being more patient, lol)! That doesn't mean that they arn't true though :nod:! I don't think alot of people who get this board know what the're getting into. I for one certainly did know and that is exactly why I bought it! In fact after having the board for a couple months now I've come to really enjoy the amount of testing, tweaking, and work it has taken to get things where they are today. I've learned more from this board then I did in 2 years of using Asus boards!

I see that you flashed over to the E704-2BT version, I recently did the same thing and like it very much! With my current hardware setup this BIOS is working great so far. I must say that the 2 most important BIOS settings have been both the DRAM Drive Strength and DRAM Data Drive Strenght. If you dont' mind what value are you currently using for those settings with your GSkill and are you happy with those settings? With my UTT I'm using Level 8 and Level 3 respectivly and I think that is where they'll stay.

Same problem for stable TCCD in DC at more of 300HTT.. but after some test it work with one stick HTT315 2,5-4-3-8 2.71V.. stable all test..

second installed, totally instable duirng Super Pi32M.. i begin be not sure it's only a bios problem but something can come with voltage regulation beetween the 2 orange DDR slots.. ( i can make a big misstake)..

the max OC stable i have right now is 260x12.. this is not bad.. need say.. also the OCZ 4800 run at 2.0-3-3-6 ( 1T) stable at 250x12...

I hope too they can release a better bios if it's solve problem...

I have the same attitude about the board. It was the hardest board I've ever come across and it taught me LOADS! I love it though. As you said, just because you have the same attitude as me doesn't make my statement any less true. :nod:

Yeah, I flashed OCZ Tony's beta, but I haven't really had the chance to play with it too much. My initial impression is that it is more friendly to the RAM to start out with, but I'm not sure about overclocking capability. I mean, I took it to 270 @ 1T stable with the exact same timings I could only get 260 with before, but when I dropped to 2T it didn't seem to want to go any higher. With the 12/7 bios I could take it to 285 stable on 2T. Like I said, I really haven't played with it much, but when I get the chance I certainly will and I'll let you know.

BTW- My drive and data drive strength are at 8/4 and yes I'm very happy with that. I've tried decreasing it for more MHz, but it seems to not make any difference on mine.... Not sure why since everyone says its so sensitive to this. Just weird that I would be the only one to get a board that wasn't... Or maybe its my RAM that doesn't care what drive strengths I use? I'm going to try some different combos though so we'll see about that too. ;)

hey m8 I think you may have read into my post a bit too deeply as I didn't imply any of those things (Well except the fact that I could certaily benefit from being more patient, lol)! That doesn't mean that they arn't true though :nod:! I don't think alot of people who get this board know what the're getting into. I for one certainly did know and that is exactly why I bought it! In fact after having the board for a couple months now I've come to really enjoy the amount of testing, tweaking, and work it has taken to get things where they are today. I've learned more from this board then I did in 2 years of using Asus boards!

I see that you flashed over to the E704-2BT version, I recently did the same thing and like it very much! With my current hardware setup this BIOS is working great so far. I must say that the 2 most important BIOS settings have been both the DRAM Drive Strength and DRAM Data Drive Strenght. If you dont' mind what value are you currently using for those settings with your GSkill and are you happy with those settings? With my UTT I'm using Level 8 and Level 3 respectivly and I think that is where they'll stay.

Read premble time seems to be the most important setting for my board/memory for whatever reason when ocing the CPU. It's crazy but changing read premble to 6 from 5.5 makes the difference between the entire pc being able to boot to windows or not with certain dividers. This is regardless of using tight or loose timings and only running the ram at 250mhz. Those .5 nano seconds alone made all the difference.

Like you, this is by far the most challanging board I have ever used. It's almost maddening to test 4 hours then fail or be unable to post only to have to start all over again and test on of the 20+ minor ram settings one by one.

Heh, that's because your memory controller on the CPU has to be able to keep up with the speed of the RAM. Loosening the max async latency and read preamble is comparable to lowering the CL of the memory controller. The more you loosen it, the more your memory controller will be able to handle the speed of the RAM. I usually loosen them to 6.5 and 9.0 and then tighten them after I get my max RAM MHz.

Read premble time seems to be the most important setting for my board/memory for whatever reason when ocing the CPU. It's crazy but changing read premble to 6 from 5.5 makes the difference between the entire pc being able to boot to windows or not with certain dividers. This is regardless of using tight or loose timings and only running the ram at 250mhz. Those .5 nano seconds alone made all the difference.

Like you, this is by far the most challanging board I have ever used. It's almost maddening to test 4 hours then fail or be unable to post only to have to start all over again and test on of the 20+ minor ram settings one by one.

I didnt' realize the importance of both the Read Preamble Time and Max Async Latency. I've had a hard time overclocking my Redlines past 260Mhz at 2-2-2-5 although I have a pretty good idea they have more left in them. When I recently got my modules back from Mushkin after an RMA they sent along their test parameters they use when speed binning the IC's used on this no longer sold RAM. It's cool becuase they actualy test these modules using a DFI SLI-DR so there test parameters are a good starting point. Although they go through and give the reccomended Genie BIOS DRAM settings they leave both Read Preamble and Max Anync Latency values as "Auto" so that is what I've been using.

I have just installed A64 Tweaking to see what those "Auto" values are for this RAM as maybe I'll have better luck actually choosing a value for those settings instead of leaving them at "Auto". Thanks for the post guys, great info!

Hey Tony,

Sorry it's taken me 2 days to get back to you but I've just been so busy! Well I did flash back to the E704-2BT with my Redlines but actually didn't like it very much. I had some problems with stabilty even though all settings were same in BIOS. For example I've been running my RAM at 2-2-2-5 on 3.41v at 255Mhz and on the 12/07 BIOS I was 18+ hrs stable in Prime before I turned Prime off. using the same settings with E704-2BT I was unable to get past 4hrs in Prime? I'm sure I could have fixed that but I really didnt' want to take the time to start all over again with DRAM setting testing as I already spent hours on that with the 12/07 BIOS.

Maybe some of you guys outthere with the Redlines could help me out as I cannot get passed 255Mhz no matter what settings I use while still being stable? It's weird because at 255Mhz I'm rock solid stable with all benchies, as soon as I add a few Mhz it all changes even after loosing up BIOS DRAM settings and increased voltage? Before I had to RMA my first pair of Redlines I was able to go up around 268-271Mhz while still being stable? O-well, maybe the newer replacment UTT IC's are not as fast?

where do u guys get this modded bios at?

I have some team xtreem cronus 2X1024 -5b f replacement ballistix and can barely get em above 270 to save my life..

I had older bios switchet to 12-7 and still no go, so I figured try this tony bios or whatever it is and see how it goes..

No problem Alienwhere, here's a linky to techpowerup.com which has just about every available BIOS for all DFI boards. The BIOS your looking for is one of the last 2 BIOS on the page, there both the same or very similar, I use the last one on the page.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//other/114/4

You can also get it from TMOD's CD as well, if you have the CD I would suggest using it as it is 100% easier than any other way to flash out boards! Good luck and let us know how it works out for you. BTW, sick RAM my friends, how did you come by those modules?