DFI Expert:are there any new bios?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Super Nade,

I take it your talking about the Expert not the Venus? I felt the same way you did when I first got the board. Like many I came from Asus and the learning curve is steep for DFI boards, expecially the Expert. Give it some time though, I did and now I love my Expert (By far the best board I've ever owned)! It takes alot of work to get it right but once you do it makes up for all the hours of testing, tweaking, testing, tweaking......

Well mate,

I had the Ultra-D before this and it was a dream board, DDR608 TCCD and DDR540 with BH5. So I figured it wasn't a big jump so to speak, however I've not seen a board not POST'ing with TCCD before. This is new to me.

I hate to admit it but I have seriously considered trading my board or selling it to get the SLI-DR non-Expert. Mostly because there is more BIOS support and the board has been around longer with more info known on it's pro's and con's! Heck I might still trade my Expert for a SLI-DR board for board! With that said I still do like my board more than any other board I've ever had! Your right, it would make a world of differenece if we had a BIOS verions that addressed alot of these issues we have all had!

You have just totally summed up my thoughts on the Expert board ЪngêR, I couln't have said it better myself! Now don't get my wrong I really do like the Expert, it's been one of the most stable boards I've had but it took alot of work to get there!!!

They didn't name it the "Expert" for no reason... If you didn't want to have to work to get it to be "one of the most stable boards" you've ever had, then you shouldn't have gotten a board with the title "Expert". That, to me, implies that you should REALLY know what you are doing before trying to tackle the board.

Like you, it took me some work to get everything up and working correctly, but I love the board. Just because people who don't know what they are doing with it think its a pain in the butt doesn't make it a bad board. It just means they need to think twice before getting something that may be hard to deal with. Especially if you're easlily frustrated.

In other words... Don't get something with the label "Expert" if you're not already one or plan on doing enough research to become one. I'm sure there will be new bioses for the board like every other board, but it will definitely take time if you want a bios that will make the board any easier to deal with. That is probably why they are taking so long to get out a new bios. Companies like DFI don't just crank out new bioses so people can play with them. They listen to complaints, try to isolate bugs, and tweak the bioses accordingly. Besides, the Expert is a fairly new board... Just be patient. ;)

That is what they make guides for man. Just make sure you have an "Expert approved" PSU (the Seasonic doesn't look like it will give you problems, but you never know), some good RAM (I might suggest something a little better than the G. Skill PC3200 CL 2.5, but it might work out ok for you), and go very slow building. Make sure you follow the build guide and only boot with the mobo out of case, vid card, 1 stick of RAM, and the CPU/HSF installed for the first time. Then, after you verify that works, start adding components 1 at a time to isolate any non working parts. Get Windows loaded and then put it in the case. If you take your time and do it right you should have minimal problems, but I would say that for that RAM you're probably gonna have to tweak the timings to get it stable in dual channel at first.

Ok. Seriously shi*ting it. I have just purchased this board and I am a complete novice to overclocking. Have only ever built one pc too :eek2:

Hope I haven't made a mistake.

I'm sure its not bad RAM... I was just saying that with a 7900GT and the Expert and that nice Opty that you might want something that goes a little better than DDR400 CL2.5. G. Skill is a good brand and you might be able to loosen the CL to 3 and get some more MHz out of it, but as far as that Opty will OC you'll probably still have to end up using a divider. And I know that my Expert didn't like the optimal settings on the 12/7 bios to try to run my dual channel sticks in, so every time I want to rest the CMOS I had to take a stick out (the CMOS instructions say to do this anyway, but my CPU HSF makes it a real PITA) and reset it to my dual channel settings before putting the 2nd stick back in. Since then I have flashed to the E704-2BT bios (OCZ Tony's beta bios) and it cured that problem because his optimal default settings are looser. If you have this issue, then I would suggest downloading an iso of Tmod's CD and flashing to the beta bios. That should fix any problems you might have with your RAM.

WHat's so wrong with the ram? Is it really crap or what? Wish I had know I only received it today :(