Sign in to follow this  
szcraftec

..:: Help With Converting Required ::..

Hello to everybody !

I have one question for you guys... Is it possible to convert 4" Neon light for car (12V) to work inside computer case ? I'm asking this 'cause I have few 4" 12V blue lights for car, and I want to put those in my PC case. I sent a photo in attachment. It suppose to be pluged into cigarete lighter in car (12V). What should I do to make it work inside my PC case ? If it's possible, please send a picture (scheme) what should I do to convert it...

Thanks in advance !!!

P.S. You guys rulez !!! :D

Sasha

Corect me if im wrong guys. But I think you cut of the cigarette lighter plug and just sodder the ground wire on your light to a black wire on a molex connector. and sodder the other wire on your light to the red wire on a molex connector.

Edited by savethedodobird

or just go to radio shack and get another molex connwctor and installit like everything else

Corect me if im wrong guys. But I think you cut of the cigarette lighter plug and just sodder the ground wire on your light to a black wire on a molex connector. and sodder the other wire on your light to the red wire on a molex connector.

red wire of a molex is only 7v you'd want the yellow for 12v.

That is correct savethedodobird, but he should solder it to the yellow wire. When you look at a molex connector, it should have a yellow, a red and two black wires. The yellow wire carries a +12v charge, the red carries a +5 and the black wires are grounds. I believe this will work just like in a car, because they both run on a DC wiring setup. HOWEVER, I would make sure the neons from your card don't generate too much heat. they may not have the necissary precautions that the ones made for a computer have. Remember, looks come after performance

edit: Dang, sykocus beat me to it :P

Edited by ravix

Thanks guys for your kind replies. I knew that you'll help me... Sorry I'm being so stupid, but could anyone send a photo of molex connector and also tell me where should I plug in that connector ? I just moved to Canada from Europe, so please have patience with my english language.

It would be great if someone can send at least a hand drawing or scheme "how to connect".

I left that 4" neon light to work inside my car for 5 hours (I was traveling) and I didn't notice any heat around the light. When I touched it, it was almost cold...

Regards to all !!!

..:: S.Z.C ::..

Ok... it's me again...

I've just tried and everything works perfectly ! It goes like you guys said... black wire is -, and yellow wire is 12V +

Another one... can I plug wires from 2 or 3 lights inside only one molex connector or I have to use separate connectors for each neon light ?

Regards !

..:: S.Z.C ::..

Holy smokes this is so wiered i did this today with a 15 inch neon car light, except after I got it all hacked up and plugged in my I found out the brand new light is broken and doesn't come on all the way only the end with the starter lights up. If you tap it the light comes on but it flikers, I think the starter is bad. :(

so now I gotta go buy a new light :(

I'm glad your works bro, post some pics.

Gigashadow, it might be that your PS is not supplying enough power to the light,a 15 inch neon needs a lot of juice(this was originally ment for a car fuse (15 amp) minimum.

But i could be wrong.I'd try to rewire it and plug it in a car just to be shure

Edited by kobalt

Hmm just a moment. When i lived in the uk i bought a couple of four foot lights any way when i moved here i found that while u could use them without converting the power they arent as bright. Most likely its the starter not the power supply.