Sign in to follow this  
Bobo Balinski

Noob just about to buy this-comments?

Whoa, talk about some help and advice.

Rgone, I am confused on the CPU "multiplier". How do you even find this info on a CPU? Can you recommend a specific model of CPU that represents a good "value"?

What about "stepping"? I've noticed that you can select different 3200+: with either a E3, E4, or E6 step?

Is the PC4000 a wise choice for me over the PC3200?

Keep in mind that I have never even built a PC, much less OC'd one. But, I am fearless and foolish, so therefore, I am ready.

BBB

Bobo, here's a link that explains AMD processor stepping;

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_ty..._docs/25759.pdf

Of particular interest to you will be page 8 of the .pdf

The Mushkin PC4000 will give you some head room when overclocking. I'd go with that (but I highly recommend the OCZ PC4000 - I'm kind of an OCZ homer). Generally speaking you're trading tight timings for the ability to really push your FSB when you're overclocking.

The CPU multiplier will be listed in the sales and specification information when you're researching what CPU you will evenually buy. AMD CPU's that operate at lower stock frequencies will have lower multipliers i.e. AMD 3000 Venice core has a multiplier of 9 (so 9*200=1.8Ghz). An AMD 3200 Venice core has a multiplier of 10 (so 10*200=2.0Ghz) and so on. Almost all AMD CPU have multipliers that are locked upward - meaning that you can change the default multiplier to lower values, but you cannot change the default multiplier to higher values. The FX series is the exception. Be sure to read all of the great guides here at the Street for a complete explanation on how to build your rig and subsequently overclock it when you're ready.

I'd recommend visiting www.newegg.com and researching some of the customer feedback on the AMD processors that they stock and sell.

Personally I think the AMD 3200 Venice core is a particularly good value right now @ $164.00

Just my 2 cents:

The EVGA 7800GT-517 are around $299 and run at 470/1100 default; I have 2 of them and they kick some serious butt!

Also, the San Diego core 3700+ (like wevsspot's) available in the $220's have the 1MB cache, and are just sick overclockers. I've built 2 systems for friends using them, and both ran easily at 2.7+Ghz; one of them did 2.7Ghz at default voltage with factory air cooling!

You said that you wouldn't be doing extreme overclocking, but it's pretty easy with the hardware that you're looking at here. However, if you are not going ot be running super high FSB speeds, go for the lowest latency RAM you can find in a solid PC-3200. If your board likes it, you can't go wrong with 1GB set of OCZ Platinum Rev 2 TCCD. I get everthing from 2-2-2-8 running around default speeds to 3-4-4-8 at 300Mhz FSB. You leave the voltage at 2.7-2.8vt and just change the settings to get more speed.

If you really want to OC I'd recommend a 1GB set of OCZ 4000VX. I know that I am talking about the two sets that I have, but I have had such extreme performance from them that I cannot recommend them highly enough. The VX allows you to exploit the voltages that the DFI boards give you. Run a 250Mhz FSB @ 2-2-2-8 at 3.3vt, and at 3.5vt, run 2-3-3-8 with a 300Mhx FSB. The stuff is sick.

I have nothing to add to the other information provided by the fellow members here. Its all good, solid info. Now you just have to decide what your mix is. Good luck and have fun!

Sign in to follow this