Sign in to follow this  
gsxr310

Question on G.Skill

Ok, this is my second pair of the HZ sticks (1st set; DOA)and now one of them doesn't seem to work. Could that be DOA? I used the orange slots for dual channel (w/ my mushkin high performance;2x512MB). Well I put in one stick of G.Skill in the top orange slot and the computer loads w/ no problem. I then switched the other stick and doesn't even POST. ANy ideas? I mean one stick will will load into WinXP and the other stick won't? Was wondering if clearing the CMOS will even help. Any suggestions?

I have the same sticks and had no issues.

Your receiving 2 sets of dead sticks is starting to stretch belief.

I would definitely clear CMOS as a first step, then boot intoi BIOS, load optimized defaults and run Memtest on each stick individually

Also, what BIOS are you using?

My BIOS is 2005/06/23. And I know these are my second pair but why is it only one works and not the other (separately)?

Guest FZ1

What voltage are you using on them? They like low volts 2.5-2.65v

I had something wierd like that happen. I already had to sticks of G.Skill that I could run in the orange slots no probs. I got a second set of the 1GBLA equaling 4x512. Well I wanted to make sure that the new pair that I got were good. So I remove first set and install the set I just got in the orange slots and system would not post. I then moved the sticks to the yellow slots and they worked fine. After that I placed my other sticks into orange slots so I had all 4 modules in and everything ran fine. I then tried about a week later to figure out the issue with the orange slots and my new set of G.Skill, so I take out the pair that is in the orange slots and move the other pair from the yellow to the orange expecting my system not to boot. Well, low and behold, the system booted right up with no issue's. I placed the other pair into the yellow slots and everything is happy. I'm actually able to get 240mhz out of 4 modules of this memory. So you may want to try the yellow slots and see if they will work there for a while (week or so) then try the orange slots after a week.

ok well right now, only 1 of the 2 sticks will work in the top orange slot. when i take that out, and put the other stick in, no POST. I tried clearing the CMOS for 4 hours and same result. I'm thinking that one stick is bad. What do you experts think? The "good" stick will no POST on any yellow slots either. So only the top orange will work.

I have the same sticks and had no issues.

I would definitely clear CMOS as a first step, then boot intoi BIOS, load optimized defaults and run Memtest on each stick individually

Like boatasiaus I, too, have the same sticks and after I found my cpu and memory comfort zones (thanks for all the info and to Angry for consolidating the guides) I have not had any problems. If it were me I'd follow boatasiaus's advice and start there.

Guest FZ1

Try the 623-1 BIOS. It seems to work best with this RAM. If the computer won't boot with one of the sticks regardless of slot but will with the other, one is prolly bad.

or you could try my bios and it was recommended by a gskill technician, i have 0 problems with it although the best I can get out of them in 1:1 is 265mhz @ 2.6v without getting any errors in memtest.