Sign in to follow this  
barrettward

If it ain't broke don't fix it - wrong - AMD X2 Driver

/me taps foot... tap tap tap... is it soup yet?

-pickles

Better watch out or I'll stick my finger in your soup.. :shake:

Yes, I consider the X2 driver essential for any X2 system. The improvements it gives to usability are extremely noticeable. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yes, I consider the X2 driver essential for any X2 system. The improvements it gives to usability are extremely noticeable. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what he's talking about.

Well, according to microsoft (they were the one who made the patch) not all systems are affected...

I did install the X2 driver and it seems to work but it didn't fix what I thought it would fix.

Installing the X2 driver gives the same result as setting an application to use just one core (in a performance perspective, the 'jumping' in NFS MW and such stopped without me forcing it to use just one core). Or atleast that is my experience. The "ping-ponging" where a singlethreaded application takes 50% of both cores rather than 100% of one core is however not fixed for me and that does take, as far as I'm concernd, away some performance.

Sticky,Sticky,Sticky

barrettward,

You have just given me a just cause for all the money i spent on this computer. I purchased my first lcd monitor when i was building this system, so i really wasnt sure what to expect in terms of ghosting, or smearing images as i rotated my character/point of view.

Fact is i had it bad. I was telling all my buds how much lcd sucked, and man did i waste money buying this pos monitor. This fix has "ELIMINATED" the ghosting! BF2 is looking so sweet. This monitor is a fixed reseloution monitor. Its supposed to looks its best at 1600x1200. Fact is it looked exactly the same in terms quality, just more pixel depth at higher res'es. The first thing i did when finished with registry was open BF2, and suddenly i was looking at a box about half the dimensional size of my monitor showing the open screens of BF2. I was like "oh shi#, what have i done now?" Once game opened i noticed i had res at 1024x768..hmm, set it to 1600x1200, and screen was instantly filled with hi-res BF2 screens. "oh, thats what i did"

Went to the same single player map ive been using for all my benching needs, and the ghosting is completly gone!!! Im so happy i could spit and catch it!!

Apparently the monitor never was really working properly at all, and when i changed reseloutions, it just filled to the screen like a normal monitor. Now i know what fixed reseloution means, and i think im going to like it.

BF2 locked on me for first time, so i went looking for answer. First i put an old P2 cpu fan to right of chipset blowing any heat from chipset air over top of vid card towards case exhaust fan.

Then i came in here to research the chipset fan mod that i really didnt want to mess with till mine started making the loud noise. Saw your thread, and figured i would give it a shot. Tell them boys at Extremesystems thanks from me. I was reading over there that this fix has stopped there BF2 lock ups as well, so here's hoping:D

And a major Thankyou to you for the heads up!!!

Awhile back I asked wheather or not I should install the X2 driver and the hotfix. I stated my system was stable and all was working well. BF2 played fine and Need for Speed most wanted played great as well.

I was prime stable and all was good.

I installed the driver and hotfix anyway.

HOLY CRAP what a difference. Everything is much smoother in games, jumps and lag that were barely precivable or so I thought - once gone proved to be a HUGE imporvement.

In Need for speed most wanted, my times on a particular race dropped by 15s a 2min 30s race that I could just hardly win became a 2min 15sec race that is so much more contrallable and extremly smooth.

So the point of my thread is this:

Even if you don't believe that you need the X2 driver or the hot fix

TRY THEM BOTH - what a difference, I thought my computer was silky smooth before, now it's a dream.

DO IT DO IT.

This is the best impovment to my comp since overclocking.

I was amazed.

Not to mention my 3dMrak05 score impoved 400 points. Time to update my sig.

Barrett

Please do cos I'm not believin a word of it unless you tell me it's so...

-pickles

Any benchmarks you'd like to see in particular.. ?

Im gona do some 3dmarks of course but I was wondering if anyone had something they'd like me to run.. ?