Sign in to follow this  
grozni

DFI and Opteron

I have a following problem.....I have opteron 170 which is working on 2.5Ghz, 250x10, and almost every time I reboot windows system hangs on first screen I see Award bios version, but CPU and memory info are not showing, then I reboot on button and everything is normal again. Curently CPU is running on 1.44V, 100% stabil in windows, all test and all I tried is runing normal on this voltage, I play games also normaly, but have this problem when rebooting but not everytime. I lowered voltage to 1.41V all the same except when I reboot have a little line near sign where says award, but also all test I run and all games 100% stabil, dual prime was running about 15h no errors. +12 rail says 12.02 sometimes and sometimes 12.09, +5V rail 5.04 all the time. Memory is running at 2.7V but it is just fine with 2.6V. CPU steppings says JH9-E6, as in signiture I'm using 6.23 offical bios, also tried with 702-3, all is the same. Can someone help on this please, much appreciated guys?

:)

Anyone with some hint? I have never had this problem, before Opteron I had San Diego 4000+. All configuration was the same, and also running SD at 250x10, but San Diego default is 2.4Ghz :D . Thanks

my guess is that it is somehow related to that very bad PSU you are using... do you have another one you could test it with? The Ultra-X PSU's are definately on the "avoid these PSU's" list...

Why is that :D? I have never had any problems with it......of course I will try with another PSU, that is not a problem. I like this PSU because of UV cables...thanks

the Ultra PSU's aren't that great, but that particular model's specs are well w/in range of adequate current being supplied to your board.

if it's defective, that's a different story, but i don't think it is.

i'd suggest going over all of your BIOS settings with a fine-toothed comb to be positive that you don't have something enabled/disabled that shouldn't be.

Also, you may want to try disconnecting your two optical drives and boot, if it doesn't give you problems, then possibly a firmware issue.

Also, you may want to try disconnecting your two optical drives and boot, if it doesn't give you problems, then possibly a firmware issue.

I have 3 optical :) Anyway, I have disconected Yamaha, I reset 3-4 times and it is working for now fine :nod: Thanks, I tried lowering voltage to 1.425 (board shows 1.41) and it was the same, hangs on first screen after reset. I discionected all 3 optical on that voltage 1.41 same thing. I called friend I will try his PSU I think he has Thermaltake 680W practicly new one week old. I will try on this voltage 1.41, but if it is not working I'm happy with 1.44, so if Yamaha is causing problems it will fly thru window definately :shake:

What is your startup voltage?

Perhaps you should go to like 1.45v in case that is the problem.

Have you tried running on the bare minimum of components required?

If you take out your dvd burner, etc, then the power you need will be less. If it boots securely and consistantly after this, then you know you have a PSU problem.

well it could be the voltage as well, but you said it was 100% stable at the lower voltage right? if so, it should be a problem during POST either.

sometimes optical drives' firmware can act kooky, so either upgrade the firmware or junk it.

I jumped to conslusions early :( It's not Yamaha fault, same happen later, reboot, lock, bad....I will definately try other PSU and post results, something will fly out of window :nod: I lowered voltage to 1.41 it was running prime like 13h normaly, before that S&M was running like 90min. and SCCT was running for 30min. all was error free on 1.41...stange. I pulled out 4-Pin Peripheral from mainboard and turn on PC and it hang when showed CPU code that never happen before. So I think it is definately related somehow also to PSU. Putted back 4-Pin Peripheral, normal POST. This is 20PIN PSU after all....

What is your startup voltage?

Perhaps you should go to like 1.45v in case that is the problem.

I can't get 1.45V when I put 1.45 it is 1.43-1.44, when I put 1.425 it is 1.41. I tried various combination I couldn't get 1.45V, also 1.475 shows 1.46 and so on..

Have you tried running on the bare minimum of components required?

If you take out your dvd burner, etc, then the power you need will be less. If it boots securely and consistantly after this, then you know you have a PSU problem.

I did try, same thing......

well it could be the voltage as well, but you said it was 100% stable at the lower voltage right? if so, it should be a problem during POST either.

Yes all is even 100% stabil on 1.41V as I said.....

I tried other PSU, same thing same problem. I solved it. All I done was I set DRAM Drive Strength to AUTO, before value was 7. I'm now on 1.4V @ 2.5Ghz. :D :D :D :D :D