Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

When i poped it off the thermal grease looked like it was making good contact.

tried pushing it farther but at 1.5v and 2.8 core 0 stoped after 40mins. Which is better than before as it wouldnt do that with any voltage.

I thought it was really odd that mine also looked like it had perfect contact when I pulled it off to tell you the truth. I don't know what I was expecting to see but it wasn't what I saw. The TIM was like cookie dough that was left out in the air but there looked to be an excellent contact patch. I also checked the IHS on a piece of glass and it was flat both sides. So... I dunno.

-pickles

another question

using phase change.....i read somewhere that IHS on could create condensation.....and that would be better to take it off

as anyone tested this?

i am 48 hours away from assembling my prometeia for 24/7 use and i am a bit scared

thnxs

....i read somewhere that IHS on could create condensation.....and that would be better to take it off

With phase you're gonna get condensation whether the IHS is on or off, which is why dielectric grease is necessary to cover your board as well as more insulation in critical areas.

I am uploading the IHS Removal vid to Google Video right now, and if it works out, I will be uploading ALL of the videos to Google Video after a bit of time on bittorrent.

I am uploading the IHS Removal vid to Google Video right now, and if it works out, I will be uploading ALL of the videos to Google Video after a bit of time on bittorrent.

I've uploaded videos of myself to Google video months ago and they're still not live yet. They're approved but not live. :

Guest FZ1

AG, nice video. You cut pretty deep on while you were working around. OK for that sempron but the dual cores have transistors fairly close to the edge (~5mm). I think it's something worth mentioning. If I was a noob and had never read any accounts of cutting it off, I might not be so careful about the depth after watching the vid. Also, if you find the blade not sliding so smoothly...sprinke a little alcohol on it and it helps. BE CAREFUL though as you can slip easy and go deeper than you want. I have also found it helpful that, once I have cut all the way around, use dental floss to work through the cut areas and get any remaining areas not cut by the blade without putting delicate parts in jeopardy. Heating the IHS with a haridryer helps too if it's really stuck to the lid good with TIM.

Those with Intel chips - be careful! Some chips have the IHS's epoxied on and you'll rip the core right off trying to remove it!

Well I am almost done DLing the video.

I promised myself when I invested in water that I'd remove the IHS. Storm G4 + IHS = waste...

So it's got like 5mins left. I'll seed after it's done. I hope to remove my IHS soon, though it still seems really scary.

The biggest thing I am worried about is crushing the core. I'd have to remove the little white plastic drums that keep you from overtightening it. Or maybe replace with 3 washers or something, subtracting the IHS thickness? Either way I don't think any safety mechanism is a good idea because if it was too short I'd tighten it too hard and crunch, and if it was too tall, it wouldn't tighten enough.

And electrical tape over the little blocks... I want to do this to avoid shorts, BUT do they get hot at all? Elec tape is very insulatey and sticky, sounds bad for heat...

Guest FZ1
Well I am almost done DLing the video.

I promised myself when I invested in water that I'd remove the IHS. Storm G4 + IHS = waste...

So it's got like 5mins left. I'll seed after it's done. I hope to remove my IHS soon, though it still seems really scary.

The biggest thing I am worried about is crushing the core. I'd have to remove the little white plastic drums that keep you from overtightening it. Or maybe replace with 3 washers or something, subtracting the IHS thickness? Either way I don't think any safety mechanism is a good idea because if it was too short I'd tighten it too hard and crunch, and if it was too tall, it wouldn't tighten enough.

And electrical tape over the little blocks... I want to do this to avoid shorts, BUT do they get hot at all? Elec tape is very insulatey and sticky, sounds bad for heat...

Just don't crank too hard when seating the block and you'll be ok. I had tape on mine and then I took it off. I did see a few degrees difference in temps without it so I'm keepin' her totally naked from now on :D

Guest FZ1

That would probably work better temp-wise but it might be hard to set the tape in the right areas perfectly. I decided to take mine off when I couldn't find anyone who had an issue with the bare transistors shorting out.

If I was a noob...

then you wouldn't be attempting such a dangerous, warranty-voiding trick. And if you were and did anyway...nothing I could instruct you about would make a difference.

also note that double-edged razor blades are so thin that they will NOT destroy any of the resistors or transistors or whatever the hell they are (you can be assured that i have now removed 9 IHS's from many different cpu's and have yet to destroy any piece or part of any of them)