IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Angry_Games

When mounting the waterblock (little river storm) and you seat it perfectly flat onto the core, how much downward pressure needs to be put on it?

Basicly how far down do u compress the springs, i know all are different. Is there the same risk of crushing the core by putting a little to much downward even pressure as using a clip on sink?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When mounting the waterblock (little river storm) and you seat it perfectly flat onto the core, how much downward pressure needs to be put on it?

Basicly how far down do u compress the springs, i know all are different. Is there the same risk of crushing the core by putting a little to much downward even pressure as using a clip on sink?

honestly the best answer is 'just enough'

i know that sounds weak but you have to decide how far past "tight" you want to turn the screws (or the nuts or whatever your mechanism is)

on my DangerDen TDX blocks, I usually go until the brass nuts start to feel tight on the bolts. CPU Killer basically says same thing...don't bother with over-tighten, but don't undertighten...

honestly the best answer is 'just enough'

i know that sounds weak but you have to decide how far past "tight" you want to turn the screws (or the nuts or whatever your mechanism is)

on my DangerDen TDX blocks, I usually go until the brass nuts start to feel tight on the bolts. CPU Killer basically says same thing...don't bother with over-tighten, but don't undertighten...

you mean german torque? Gouden tight? :D

i know what u mean, but say you have springs that are 1/2" tall uncompressed (just for an example) how tall are they after they have been compressed?

Not an accurate way to measure, i know, you have take into consideration the stiffness of the springs as well as the hight.

I guess ill have to feel it out as i go.

Only 1-3 under load or idle? If that dosnt change you might want to recheck your block placement and TIM application. Even very small misalinment of the block can cause problems. You can shim the CPU also I hear.

I rechecked everything. I'm getting the exact same idle temps I had before, load temp is about 1-3C cooler depending the the particular pass Prime95 is on. I wasn't happy with the results, so I went back and redid the TIM, but this time I used Ceramique, and also I was using a very thin foam pad to protect the other parts of the cpu so they wouldn't make contact with the water block, but I swicthed it up to clear tape, maybe thats why my temps dropped a bit more, but still nowhere near what I expected. Also after I redid the TIM, the instability went away. I'm guessing maybe the foam was actually retaining heat. I think later today I'll re-apply some AS5 and possible pick up some thermal tape to put over the other parts of the cpu. Worst case scenario, I'll just put the IHS back on.

it also takes as5 50 to 200 hour to set. you will see the temps drop then

Yah i recently applied some as5 to my cpu that has the heatspreader on for now and temps droped 2-3 c after 2 days.

I did not use the springs myself they were not called for according to the directions. Someone asked Cathar(the desigener) and he just said use your judgment. I dont have a toch wrench that goes that low.

Really? no springs? thats interesting. I dont think anyone has a torque wrench that goes that low, and if they did if would be the size of your pinky. :D

*Update*

I removed the IHS those blads cut like butter and it took me no more than 5 min to do it.

Temps are about the same, but that maybe because the as5 hasnt cured.

The disturbing part is what was previously prime stable for 8+ hours is no longer.

I tried upping the volts a tad=nothing, downclock the memory=nothing, have each core use 800mb of memory instead of 825=nothing. :mad:

Maybe i need to reapply? I did put some electrical tape on the bottom of the block to keep it from contacting anything. doesnt seem to be hindering contact w/core.

Pretty sure i tightened the block down sufficiently, it still slides a tiny bit on the core.

Umm not recomending general mayheam but I could use a torch wrench to tighten mine though it would need to be a small very high quality one.... the screws are just tight enough my block doesnt move at all. It is about somewhere around 5 Nm that is less than for the "one time only"Aluminum bolts on my race bike . I also counted the number of turns for each screw alternaing on turning them 1/2 rotation after they got tight.

If you dont tighten it very far give it a little extra time to cure it just try to make sure they are farly evenly scrwed in.

The disturbing part is what was previously prime stable for 8+ hours is no longer.

I tried upping the volts a tad=nothing, downclock the memory=nothing, have each core use 800mb of memory instead of 825=nothing. :mad:

Interesting. I got the exact opposite effect. Load temps dropped 8-10 degrees and so far have been able to go from 2750 to 2800 prime stable at the same voltage which had failed almost immediately before the chop. Priming 2900 today at higher voltage and temps are still looking great.

I did the same as you and put electrical tape over the exposed parts around the core, then a very small dab of AS Ceramique, then reinstalled the block and tightened everything all the way down until I couldn't turn anymore... springs fully compressed. Halfassed checked it out with a steel ruler to see if I could tell if it was anywhere close to level and crossed my fingers and fired it up.

-pickles

Interesting. I got the exact opposite effect. Load temps dropped 8-10 degrees and so far have been able to go from 2750 to 2800 prime stable at the same voltage which had failed almost immediately before the chop. Priming 2900 today at higher voltage and temps are still looking great.

I did the same as you and put electrical tape over the exposed parts around the core, then a very small dab of AS Ceramique, then reinstalled the block and tightened everything all the way down until I couldn't turn anymore... springs fully compressed. Halfassed checked it out with a steel ruler to see if I could tell if it was anywhere close to level and crossed my fingers and fired it up.

-pickles

Ok so it must have been the contact, which felt perfect, cause i took it off and applied ceramique this time and its primeing away happily.

Temps though are roughly the same, cant be more than 1-2c better.

I havent tried pushing for more yet, just want to make sure its working perfect.

Can you define "a small dab"? the size of a grain of rice? smaller?

Ok so it must have been the contact, which felt perfect, cause i took it off and applied ceramique this time and its primeing away happily.

Temps though are roughly the same, cant be more than 1-2c better.

I havent tried pushing for more yet, just want to make sure its working perfect.

Can you define "a small dab"? the size of a grain of rice? smaller?

Equal to or smaller than a grain of rice, very small dab.

The other side of the coin is your IHS may have been making better contact with the core to begin with and mine may have been really funky. My temps with the IHS on both my Opterons shoot up like instantly at least 10 degrees as soon as load hit 100% on both cores and then climb some more in the next 10 minutes before levelling off. Now on the naked one it doesn't go near as high and it's alot slower to go up.

-pickles

Equal to or smaller than a grain of rice, very small dab.

The other side of the coin is your IHS may have been making better contact with the core to begin with and mine may have been really funky. My temps with the IHS on both my Opterons shoot up like instantly at least 10 degrees as soon as load hit 100% on both cores and then climb some more in the next 10 minutes before levelling off. Now on the naked one it doesn't go near as high and it's alot slower to go up.

-pickles

When i poped it off the thermal grease looked like it was making good contact.

tried pushing it farther but at 1.5v and 2.8 core 0 stoped after 40mins. Which is better than before as it wouldnt do that with any voltage.