Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Best tutorial Ever!!

Took me about a week to muster the nerve......and less than 2 minutes to lay my opty 170 bare.

Good work and thanks again Travis. I do have one question though...why are the IHS even on there? Without it on there my opty looks like two barton core athlon XP's. We didn't need IHS's before why would we need them now?

JC

I do have one question though...why are the IHS even on there? Without it on there my opty looks like two barton core athlon XP's. We didn't need IHS's before why would we need them now?

AMD apparently got sick of RMAing cracked cores, not to mention shorted out CPUs from using too much AS5. It doesn't make sense to me either; AMD has always catered to the enthusiast market. And now they're soldering their IHSs on. :rolleyes:

AMD apparently got sick of RMAing cracked cores, not to mention shorted out CPUs from using too much AS5. It doesn't make sense to me either; AMD has always catered to the enthusiast market. And now they're soldering their IHSs on. :rolleyes:

Solution to the AS5?

Ceramique.

BTW, I've seen temps drop 0C at idle...but 10C on full load. Definately worth the cost of a razor blade. I did have to use shorter bolts for my waterblock as well. I got it to seat-up "pretty good" then fired up and ran orthos loading both cores to the max. Then at full load slightly tweaked the retaining bolts till both cores ran at the same temp...I'm just waiting for the ceramique to set up. Overall I'm very pleased with the results of the IHS removal.

A word of caution concerning the pins may be necessary...my iron grip on the chip caused me to slightly bend 3-4 pins on the underside. Gently straightening them solved the problem...in retrospect I'd have gripped it just a little less "firmly"

JC

A word of caution concerning the pins may be necessary...my iron grip on the chip caused me to slightly bend 3-4 pins on the underside. Gently straightening them solved the problem...in retrospect I'd have gripped it just a little less "firmly"

Yes, that happened to me too, when I scalped my Venice. I don't have a bolt-on cooler though so I can't use that chip anymore until I do. Not that I was planning to.

Finally got around to beheading my Opty. Earlier I had very uneven temps, at most a difference of 8°C between the cores at full load. Now both cores run at basically the same temps, it varies a couple of degrees but it's nothing to worry about.

I masked the bare CPU with black electrical tape keeping sure that it was not too thick. I also mounted a Scythe Ninja with clips, It was VERY nerv-wrecking but I manged to get it in place without damaging the CPU. Some grinding was necessary of the mounting bracket on the motherboard so the cooler would fit deeper into the socket.

Thanks for the tips, and the video made it all so much easier. :)

so by doing this lil mod will it drop my cpu temps?

It should drop by an average of 2-3C, but if your IHS was seated improperly at the factory you can expect to see pretty big ones.

I removed the IHS on my 165 and recieved a 8-10C drop in load temps. My idle temps where roughly the same but load temps came down alot.

i removed mine and got 0c change on both core's, and core 0 still reads 10c warmer then core 1 on idle and it still reads 3-4 higher on load. over core 1..

I put the IHS back on since it didnt help to remove it.

I also saw no diff removing my 3000+'s along time ago.

Does anybody have a picture of an AMD dual core CPU with the IHS removed? Are the cores separate, in the middle, or in some other configuration?