Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

wow temps suck as hell. increased by like 5degress my heatsink isnt makn enuf contact. and ive added spacing betwen the heatsink and heatsink bracket and its touching the core with the max of its capabilitys.

i think i need to put the IHS bak on..

this sucks man. dont take off the IHS unless you know for sure thaty our heatsink fan can touch the cpu core.

Can you take pictures? I might be able to help.

Ok, I did this yesterday.

Thanks for the video happy, I dont think I would have done it without that.

I now have a nice copper keychain.

It lowered my CPU temp 5 degrees. I am not 100% sure the TDX waterblock is rubbing the side of the socket or not. Maby in a cupple weeks I will take it off and file that side down slightly.

On a side note it seems to overclock better now (I am running 2.85GHz stable, 1.5v) I dont really want to give it more volts though. entering the range of danger?

I tried removing the IHS on my 3700+ using this tutorial. I'm not sure what happened to my chip during production or what, but the only blade I could get to work were from shaver heads that I broke open, and those are super flimsy. Everything else was too thick to go all the way under the IHS, even an X-Acto knife I bought. I scraped through the edge of the green substrate a little bit (exposing a small piece of copper trace), but it seems to be working okay.

So far, my idle temperatures are a few degrees lower, but my load temps went up, by about 7 C. I can't get it Prime95 stable at my previous settings but it's hitting around 55 C so I'm thinking it's getting too hot to be stable. If anyone wants a slightly damaged and naked 3700+ SD, they can PM me :P. I guess the good thing about this is that I know that my current setup isn't naked CPU friendly so I won't de-IHS my Opteron 170 :).

The video was very good though, especially the music :P.

but my load temps went up, by about 7 C.

If I had to guess, your heatsink is not secured properly. This mod is for a screw down type heatsink.

Your heatsink must not have enough pressure on the cpu. When I 1st booted mine it said 53c idle...

When I screwed it in a bit more it dropped to 32.

It's a bolt-down type, a Zalman CNPS-7700 to be specific. I did a test install to make sure it was making good contact, and it looked like it was. The paste was spread around by the pressure, just like on my Athlon XP system. I screwed it down as tight as it would go. It doesn't bother me much that the temperatures went up, as my Opteron 170 is sitting right here waiting to take its spot :P. I have the 3700+ at about 2.48 GHz with a touch over 1.4v, and it's hitting about 45-46 C in Prime95. What surprised me about the idle temperatures is that it was idling at about 33 C, even at 2.65/1.57v. It used to idle at about 38 with the IHS on.

Is the Zalman CNPS 9500 a bolt down like the 7700 or is it a clamp down like the XP-120. If it is a clamp down, is there any other way besides sanding down the retention bracket?

For example, my current heatsink is a bolt down, but has spring stoppers to prevent to much force being put down. To bypass that, I offset the top of the spring stopper by 2 mm by using nylon washers I got from Home Depot.

Is there any such trick with clamp down heatsinks or am I stuck with sanding the bracket?

Well I hadnt seen this thread yet.....so thanks Happy Games for the vid....I read about this stuff on some other forums and I must say I'm tempted to do it also. I got an old 754 socket Newcastle cpu anyways so well could be worth the risk hehehe :)

can't get ram to work properly.

can't work with slots:

dimm 1 & dimm 3

dimm 2 & dimm 4

dimm 3 & dimm 4

works fine at stock but not when oc:

dimm 1 (one stick of ram)

dimm 1 & dimm 2 (2 sticks)

dimm 2 (one stick of ram)

it's soo weird. after removing the ihs it wont' seem to work. but i'm sure that i didn't damage anything on the chip or scratch any of the capacitors because if i did why would it work with "dimm 1 & dimm 2 (2 sticks)". i think something is up with my dfi motherboard. but i'm not sure what is wrong. doesn't any one have similar issues? let me know.

thigns i have done:

clear cmos.

long cmos clear (8 Hr)

can't get ram to work properly.

can't work with slots:

dimm 1 & dimm 3

dimm 2 & dimm 4

dimm 3 & dimm 4

works fine at stock but not when oc:

dimm 1 (one stick of ram)

dimm 1 & dimm 2 (2 sticks)

dimm 2 (one stick of ram)

it's soo weird. after removing the ihs it wont' seem to work. but i'm sure that i didn't damage anything on the chip or scratch any of the capacitors because if i did why would it work with "dimm 1 & dimm 2 (2 sticks)". i think something is up with my dfi motherboard. but i'm not sure what is wrong. doesn't any one have similar issues? let me know.

thigns i have done:

clear cmos.

long cmos clear (8 Hr)

Wow, what a ridiculously off-topic post. Isn't this your third thread about your issue? Didn't H_G already merge your second thread?