IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Angry_Games

popped the top off my venice 3000+ today and everything went pretty smooth. I hope I have the same success on my 146, this 3000+ was my practice run.

http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf38377bi.png

I have xp-120 so I cant really use it on naked core. (yet)

Running prime small FFT stock speed, volts and cooling: 38degrees

One question... (I will have to test this myself anyway) would I see better temps with naked core on stock cooling, or reapply/lap/as5 the IHS and continue using my xp-120?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the looks of the stuff, no. And I wouldn't scrape it off either because if you go too deep you could essentially kill the CPU. There's a guy on this forum that killed an Opty when he accidentally cut into the core while removing the IHS. Besides there's really no reason to remove it, since it's not in the way of anything and you'll never see it once you've got a block on there.

great vid! very informative, even to someone who's never owned a 64. i'm sure the IHS adhesive that holds it to the core can be removed also, via rubbing alcohal/arctic clean?

the thermal material between the cache core of the cpu and the IHS can be cleaned with alcohol yes

the black epoxy seal that holds the IHS to the cpu cannot be cleaned off with alcohol (it is epoxy seal after all!).

you can use a product called Solvoplast (apparently only available in Canada, it is an adhesive remover) but as I have found out and shown in the video, it is totally unecessary.