IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Angry_Games

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Partizan

Instead of using a razor blade, get yourself a scalpel, it's a lot easier as you have a better grip and it's more controllable.

Regards, Partizan

I read yesterday about someone had a Clawhammer FX-55 (like mine) that ran very hot (high 50's, low 60's C, also like mine). He removed the IHS, cleaned everything completely, applied AS5 thermal compound, and then reattached the IHS using black, automotive-type, high-heat gasket silicon, which may actually be almost undetectable if done correctly. He said that this dropped his temps dramatically!

I am somewhat of a wuss, and not a rich man by any means; I would love to keep the IHS on to help protect the core, even if it means not running at the absolute lowest possible temps.

My question is based on the info that we have and the experience that many of you have, is doing the same thing worth the effort? If due to tiny variences in dimensions, or even in the amount or fit of the thermal compound that was installed during assembly, the possibility exists that some of the same processors could run much hotter than others (and mine does!), could this make enough difference to be worth doing?

Thanks in advance for any info and experience that anyone can offer.

Instead of using a razor blade, get yourself a scalpel, it's a lot easier as you have a better grip and it's more controllable.

Regards, Partizan

Which scalpel? I used a number 11 and it truly sucked. I like the idea of using duck tape on the back of a razor blade next time but would prefer a scalpul if I can get the right one.

Regards, Partizan

do NOT use a scalpel or ANY other kind of Exact-O or regular razor blade.

they are simply too thick and the only good blade we've seen so far that won't eat the cpu's organic coating (if done properly anyway) nor destroy anything is a double-edged razor blade or another blade that is that thin

anything thicker is simply too thick and is just not worth trying to use

Something just occured to me. Angry, are you left-handed? Or do you hold the processor in the hand you're agile with?

I'm left handed when I eat or write

I'm right handed when it comes to guitar, throwing a ball, etc

I'm a switch hitter in baseball, and somewhat of a switch hitter in hockey (but I am leaning more towards right handed)

when I want something done precisely, I tend to use my left hand for it (since it is the hand I write with)

My question is based on the info that we have and the experience that many of you have, is doing the same thing worth the effort? If due to tiny variences in dimensions, or even in the amount or fit of the thermal compound that was installed during assembly, the possibility exists that some of the same processors could run much hotter than others (and mine does!), could this make enough difference to be worth doing?

on an FX Clawhammer, or really just about any Clawhammer/Newcastle 130nm chip I'd say it would be worth the effort, since they all come 1.500v default, and they are 130nm, which means they do run hotter, and especially with overclocking.

but

you always have to judge how risky something is compared to the end results if you do it correctly ;)

(ie: no one can tell you if you should or should not...you, in the end, have to decide for yourself)

do NOT use a scalpel or ANY other kind of Exact-O or regular razor blade.

they are simply too thick and the only good blade we've seen so far that won't eat the cpu's organic coating (if done properly anyway) nor destroy anything is a double-edged razor blade or another blade that is that thin

anything thicker is simply too thick and is just not worth trying to use

Yeah, the exacto knife was a real pain in the butt to use when I did mine, just didn't have anything else around the house and was too lazy to go buy something. I'm actually going out today to get some double-edged ones for my new processor.

I'm left handed when I eat or write

I'm right handed when it comes to guitar, throwing a ball, etc

I'm a switch hitter in baseball, and somewhat of a switch hitter in hockey (but I am leaning more towards right handed)

when I want something done precisely, I tend to use my left hand for it (since it is the hand I write with)

So for a right handed person, would you reccomend holding the processor in the left hand and using the razor with the right?