IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Angry_Games

A vain attempt by AMD to put a "lid" on astronomical overclocks on their processors (no pun intended). They probably never considered that all of us nuts would start popping the lids off of them anyway :)

Warranty be damned.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think sombody figured we would... mine has AMD stamped on the inside !!!:eek:

:) i got it running just fine. i had a problem with my first cfx3200 in which two of the ram slots stopped working, and it seems to be contagious. either the ram or cpu maybe dont like to play. i took out a stick and threw it and the cpu and held my old arctic cooler 64 pro on the naked proc and all was fine!

still cant nail 3ghz though. i probably need a shim so i sit 100% flat. i tried recycling a athlonxp's old rubber pads but they lost sticky'ness, and i ripped one or two:rolleyes:

But im getting close. soo close. but i also went up to 1.7vcore i think so i dont know. all i do is drop ram multi,htt multi, max cpu multi to 9x, disable cool 'n quiet, and set fsb to 334 w/ vcore 1.55-1.7 with no luck. any tips?

my cut is healing good. i probably would've needed stitches if i didnt clot so good. i had as5 in the cut but it's healing fine anyways. it was about 1" :P and it bled for a minute solid and quick, and then just stopped.

ite smart guardian reports temps of ~22 at room temp, on water cooling. but coretemp reports each core to be around 34 if i remember. 2.8ghz

I got A new 3800 coming tuesday, i'll test that out:eek2:

my ihs was tight, a shaving razor-blade was perfecto btw and i didnt realize they were so big, but i just grapped one of those cheapo 1-bladers and melted it and then tempered it (didnt help much, it was too thin :P) et voila. easy. i wasnt shaky. except when i was using the box cutter and sliced myself a third thumb:p

A vain attempt by AMD to put a "lid" on astronomical overclocks on their processors (no pun intended). They probably never considered that all of us nuts would start popping the lids off of them anyway :)

Warranty be damned.

actually the reason for the heatspreader was to put a stop to the high RMA rate from users cracking the cores (AthlonXP as well as Intel's lesson from the P3 socket cpu's) when installing a heatsink on them.

Intel moved away from pinned cpu's because they were tired of high rma rates from users bending pins installing the cpu's to motherboards (which put the warranty responsibility on mobo mfg's by forcing them to use the LGA socket with embedded pins).

The overclocking had nothing to do with it. AMD solved that by locking the multipliers in the AthlonXP days, and up-locking them on the new A64's (except the FX, which like the Intel Extreme, has upwards-unlocked multipliers but you pay $1000+ for such a cpu)

bah... i wish they'd be overclocking friendly but i see why not. if you can make a processor run at twice its speed stably, why buy the more expensive one?

:sweat:

does anyone else's ihs have amd printed on the underbelly? i thought it was pretty funny finding it there. maybe someone else knew it'd be removed and included it in the design, it would slow the production down to have it printed on the underbelly