Hello

I've just finished installing my new stuff;

AMD Althon 64 X2 3800+

DFI lanParty UT NF4 SLI-D

2GB G.Skill PC4000

BFG GeForce 7800GT

OCZ PowerStream 600w

Windows XP SP2 (32bit)

I have a problem though.. For some everytime I start a game, or even a dvd player my computer restarts (after 30 secs maybe?) and I'm not to sure why.. I have the latest bios installed and the latest drivers from gfx card.

My tempetures seem ok too (occording to mbm5 / speedfan)

CPU: 27c

GFX: 44c

NF4 chipset: 45c (maybe high? - Not to sure)

or maybe it's due to my voltages (all lights are green on the back of the PSU and I've not manually adjusted anything);

+3.3: 3.25

+5.5: 5.00

+12.00: 12.41

The system itself seems stable in windows and prime95 ran without resetting. I did notice some stutters in music while under some heavy load - but prob due to the load. By the way I've tried installing the AMD x2 patch thing - didn't seem to do anything. I wouldn't call myself a beginner at computing, but I'm stumped at this one.. Anyone out there got any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard

Hve you run Memtest? If so, how long?

How long did you run Prime? Did you run 2 instances of Prime simultaneously?

Can you run a few loops of 3dMark05?

What vid card drivers are you using?

Edit: Please put your PSU in your sig

There's a couple of things you need to understand:

1) Do not trust sensors, as they are useless. They are wrong, and always will be.

2) Get a digital multimeter to test your voltages - because again, the sensors are wrong. Your sensors can read as 12.9, which would be wrong as well, when in reality, your computer could be crashing and it be undervolted instead.

3) What bios are you using? "Latest" one doesn't cut it. Please read the forum rules and list every piece of hardware in your sig. Bios is located in the bottom left of the screen when it first boots up denoted by a date, ie 5/10/2005, 6/23/2005.

4) You will need to tweak your computer probably if you're crashing - and even run memtest to make sure your computer qualified to Install the OS.

Guest thespin

Your temps and voltages are fine, even great. If your system is Prime95 stable (8 hours of the torture test on both cores) then I suspect it may be your video card or its setup. Try newer drivers if they exist (if it's overclocked you need to back off) ...

Thanks for all the help..

I tried the latest Nforce4 drivers (instead of the cd one) it played the dvd for longer and CSS loaded ok. So might of fixed it. But I'll trial run it more tomorrow and stuff..

Thanks again people (can't belive I've been so noobish) :(

Guest thespin

The small handheld MMs are about $25 from Radio Shack. That's nothing compared to most people's overall PC costs and the MMs are useful around the house and auto too ...

Just a quick update...

The reset seems to be fixed on watching dvd's and playing games but..

I get problems with game freezing (can't ctrl + alt + delete or anything) and the sound goes all weriod and I'm forced to reset via the reset button. This only happens (that I've tested so far) in half-life 2, f.e.a.r. But in CoD2 I can play though the game fine without any frezzes. I was wondering if this is maybe related to the dual core? I heard somewhere that CoD2 has quite good dual core support.

Anyhow, with refrence to the previous posts, I've run memtest (over night) with no errors and run prime95 for a few hours. I've also been though 3dmark a few times 03 and 05, with no errors.

Just wondering if anyone has a clue to this problem.

Oh and about the bios version:

06/23/2005

Edit:

Just got an datacache.dll on half-life 2, searching the forum seems to bring up stuff relating to relaxing the memory timings, not 100% sure this is right but I think they're currently 3-3-7-3 at 2.6v (I think can't remember) (I've not changed it, so how ever it came installed).

Maybe I need to do this, can anyone suggest kind of memory timings I need to set for my G.Skill mem if this is even the case?

Thanks,

Richard