My Venice 3000+ losing its overclock?

I've had the rig in my sig running OCCT/Prime/Gaming stable for months (since the Venice chips were released) at 1.5 Vcore with no problems.

A couple weeks ago it just started BSODing/locking up under general use (websurfing, listening to mp3s, etc) most BSODs were files associated with my Marvell LAN adapter.

I've reformatted, tested my boot HDD, changed LAN ports to the Nvidia (no firewall or NAM installed), upped the Vcore to as high as 1.57 in windows, and for whatever reason I cannot maintain 2.8 GHz stable. OCCT will crap out in about an hour if it doesn't lock up the PC first. A friend thinks I must have changed something, but this system has been untouched since I isntalled a 7800 GTX (at launch).

I know CPUs can lose their OC over time - but typically only if overvolted fairly high - I'm only running 1.5V through this chip.

Anyone have any suggestions at all?

This is what I would do..

Move back to stock and test it to see if it is totally stable there.. Then work your way back into an overclock slowly, testing your ram and cpu seperatly to see if the individual maxes have changed..

I'm going to stress test it tonight at stock (optimized defaults) using S&M - a friend recommended it, it seems to be a pretty good program when running the FPU tests...

Does this make sense at all to you or anyone? I mean this system was definitely rock solid at 2.8... Why all of a sudden is it not responsive. Even if I back off the OC 50 or 100 MHz I get BSODs pretty quickly.

Is there any ways this can be narrowed down to a board or cpu problem?

this just happens to some ppl. like said before, go back to stock speeds and test at that. if it passes then keep working up, you will have to overclock all over again. sad to say, but odds are that your cpu wont be able to overclock as much.

I upgraded to OCZ Platinum PC3200 2GB set and ran beautifully for over a month, then BSOD and no POST. Turns out one of the modules went completely bad (would not POST) and the other was no longer stable even at stock. I had suspected I fried my memory controller on the CPU, but thank goodness it was just RAM, and it was replaced under warranty. Awesome OCZ support, btw, top notch.

Test OC on seperate components gradually and determine where the problem is like Thunda said. Force be with you!

I've had the rig in my sig running OCCT/Prime/Gaming stable for months (since the Venice chips were released) at 1.5 Vcore with no problems.

A couple weeks ago it just started BSODing/locking up under general use (websurfing, listening to mp3s, etc) most BSODs were files associated with my Marvell LAN adapter.

I've reformatted, tested my boot HDD, changed LAN ports to the Nvidia (no firewall or NAM installed), upped the Vcore to as high as 1.57 in windows, and for whatever reason I cannot maintain 2.8 GHz stable. OCCT will crap out in about an hour if it doesn't lock up the PC first. A friend thinks I must have changed something, but this system has been untouched since I isntalled a 7800 GTX (at launch).

I know CPUs can lose their OC over time - but typically only if overvolted fairly high - I'm only running 1.5V through this chip.

Hi Canadianpsycho!,

read the post #4 at http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37012 and let me know if this help you! ;)

See you and thanks for your time.

Thanks for the advice so far...

The chip ran overnight 100% load/100% CPU usage using S&M with no errors at stock. I'm now memtesting the RAM at the settings I was running earlier (DDR622) to see if the RAM is fine - already through 2 passes with no errors.

I thought about reapplying the AS5 - I'll do that when I get back from visiting relatives this weekend. Someone over at the OC forums suggested checking the caps on the board - I'll do that when I repply the AS5.

So far I'm thinking the chip has just decided 2.8 isn't going to happen anymore... I would think if my RAM was dying I'd have issues POSTing, but its mostly when I get into windows and put a load on the CPU...

I ran into a very similar problem to this with my 3200 Venice and OCZ RAM. I fixed it by going on a Divider. However there is a SPD dump issues (god help me if I can find the link over at Extreme systems) that can cause this on TCCD modules. (BH-5 Also)

HA, found the link:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85533

I don't know if this is your problem, but the symptoms do sound quite familiar. Apparently you can fix this SPD issue (if that is what you have) and get your system back to where it used to be. Once CAVEAT: I have not tried to do this on my modules, as I said, I fixed by using a divider. I would reply on that thread in the other Forum to get more help.

I would definitely try the other poster's suggestion on the AS5. I ruled that out on my machine because I had reapplied with AS5 in November.