Sign in to follow this  
airdog

PS2 Mouse and USB keyboard?

Hey Guys,

I just built a friend a PC (specs below) a new gaming system and I'm having trouble getting a PS2 mouse to work along with any USB keyboard. When I boot the system the keyboard will work but the mouse is frozen. I've tried 3 different mice and gone through the bios several times with no luck. Here's what I've tried that does or doesn't work.

PS2 mouse and Zboard USB gaming keyboard = DEAD mouse

PS2 mouse and Microsoft USB keyboard = DEAD mouse

PS2 mouse and Logitech USB keyboard = DEAD mouse

PS2 mouse and Microsoft PS2 keyboard = GOOD mouse

PS2 mouse and Logitech PS2 keyboard = GOOD mouse

PS2 mouse - Microsoft PS2 keyboard - Zboard USB gaming keyboard = GOOD mouse

Anyone have idea on what's going on?

It's seems that the PS2 mouse will only work with USB keyboard if a PS2 keyboard is also plugged in as well...???

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Guest Dynamic

I can't really comment on this since i have a Logitech MX3100 setup, but please verify your USB settings in the BIOS for me and post, thanks.

Note: There are some USB settings that someone might be experienced with, but i think some are having problems with USB devices on these boards as well.

I've tried them on Enabled and Disabled for both the Mouse and Keyboard.

Currently they are set to Enabled

Note: When I set the USB settings to Disabled the Saitek X52 joystick won't work (probably since it's recognized more as a keyboard type of peripheral)

Some USB devices require a driver. Do you have any driver disks that came with your hardware?

All drivers (latest versions from manufactures website) are installed for the Zboard gaming keyboard. The Zboard is the only device that needed a driver.

I installed Windows XP Pro and installed all updates from Windows update. The mice and other keyboards are easily recognized in Win XP except when I install a standard SP2 mouse and a USB keyboard. I loose the mouse.

I have a similar setup on my home system, (SP2 mouse - Zboard - X52 joystick). The only difference is that I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo and I don't have this problem.

Any other ideas?

Are the case connections correct?

They can be confusing, especially when they are the individual plug types.

What case connections? I certainly hope that DFI manufactured the motherboard correctly because I'm using the connections that come directly from the rear of the motherboard/case. :)

And yes, I did test the other external connections that come off the board and they are wired correctly.

P.S. I have been building PC's as a hobby for the past 4 years. This is the 16th system that I have built in the past 12 months. I usually use Asus boards exclusively. 2 were MSI (never again - bad capacitor issues). This is the first DFI board that I've ever installed for a customer and the first time I've ever had this issue come up.

Any other ideas?

I was thinking of the front connections on the case.

Motherboard drivers all installed?

Every driver is installed:

Motherboard/chipset drivers, Video drivers, etc.

USB 2.0 works fine on all ports (including external case ports). All tested fine using external card reader.

Again, the only problem is the PS2 mouse will not work with a USB keyboard....

any other ideas?

PS2 mouse and Zboard USB gaming keyboard = DEAD mouse

PS2 mouse and Microsoft USB keyboard = DEAD mouse

PS2 mouse and Logitech USB keyboard = DEAD mouse

PS2 mouse and Microsoft PS2 keyboard = GOOD mouse

PS2 mouse and Logitech PS2 keyboard = GOOD mouse

PS2 mouse - Microsoft PS2 keyboard - Zboard USB gaming keyboard = GOOD mouse

Anyone have idea on what's going on?

It's seems that the PS2 mouse will only work with USB keyboard if a PS2 keyboard is also plugged in as well...???

Anyone?

I had trouble running my USB devices earlier, and just recently when i took my computer to my parents house, my PS/2 keyboard wouldn't work. This was solved by flashing the bios to something different. Try flashing to 6/23-3, and see if it will help.

Airdog, I am experiencing the exact same problem. My Lanparty UT nF4-D has been working fine for months, and when I exchanged the PS2 keyboard for a new USB Saitek Eclipse, the PS2 mouse was no longer working after I rebooted. (If I hotswap the keyboards while the system is running, the USB keyboard and PS2 mouse work. Rebooting kills the mouse.) The mouse and PS2 port are completely missing from the hardware list and there is no IRQ reserved for the mouse any longer.

I contacted Saitek and was told that they had a couple of other reports of PS2 mice not working, and that in those instances it was a BIOS issue. Some motherboards require that a PS2 keyboard be connected for the PS2 mouse port to work. Looks like the DFI Lanparty suffers from that problem. I am already running BIOS 623-3, so that won't fix it for you, unfortunately. I am going to try the LDB14 BIOS from 2005/11/14 and will post results here.