Sign in to follow this  
sdaspland

Onboard sound

hi i have a lanparty ut nf4 ultra d mobo

i have been using a soundblaster live 24 bit 5.1 card

and i was wondering how the onboard sound was?

basically which is the best one to use

any feedback really appreciated

I would always recommend and even prefer the use of an actual PCI sound card over any onboard sound.

I tried my onboard sound...it was fine, but it just wasn't the same quality that i got with an Audigy 2 ZS, and a X-Fi. Sometimes in CS:S, when you need to hear footsteps, you can't hear 'em...which is a pity. It's a nice module, and a great feature to any board, but it just doesn't meet gaming standards to me.

I agree with what Reinvented said.

I can add how the Karajan sound, for my SLI-DR mobo, is a huge step forward from any previous on board sounds I have used... even the legendary Soundstorm from the nForce2 Ultra400 motherboards, but an Audigy 2 is a lot better.

Hey, here's a good Q - Music Xtreme or Platinum?

I don't need the front port panel, but unfortunately, Music Xtreme doesn't have the 64 MB of RAM. Is that RAM important, or is it just for MIDI composers?

I read somewhere that right now only BF2 makes use of the RAM, and the Xtreme Music would stutter.

Guest Dynamic

The 64MB of RAM only comes in the X-FI Fatality which provides better frames per second in games. The ram from the Fatality puts some of the load off the cpu so the cpu can use that load for other tasks. You probably should read more about it at their website, soundblaster.com. I would never install an on-board sound card. They never have the EAX support or an actual 5.1-7.1 sound system in games. I hope this helps.....

So the Fatailty worth it? I thought there were some other features missing besides FPS in games. It had something to do with numbers of samples played simultaenously, I think.

I read about it on some magazine. They have too many versions of the X-FI that I couldnt remember what is what until I start some serious research before my purchase stage.

Right now I am just merely curious.