Sign in to follow this  
dmo580

Possible BOARD damage?

I don't know but Windows started locking up on me a LOT on my 7200.8. Sometimes I would boot into Windows a lot and then it would log me in and if I click on start menu or anywhere on taskbar I get a waiting icon. Mouse dies and so does keyboard. System is halted. I got to the point where Ic ouldn't boot. Reformated and reinstalled Windows. I got lockups within 3 days. Reformatted AGAIN, and by the time I was done installing I got lockups again.

I figured the 7200.8 was bad after reading SR's reliability index. Ok, so I set that to slave and I boot from my PATA Hitachi drive instead. I only boot because sometimes I need to access files because by now I'm using my laptop (system is effectively crippled, so I woudl rather wait for a new HD to come in before using it as a main system again). Ok, so I'm using my desktop like 10 min a day at most, and then shutting it down. Starting yesterday I got double lockups in Windows the same way.... I know something is up.

SMART shows the Hitachi drive being flawless and even the Seagate drive is 50% fitness. None of the values have dropped below the warning level.

Basically, if everything worked flawlessly on the Hitachi drive, Ic ould attribute this to a drive issue. However, if I'm getting weird problems on all my drives, then I'm guessing its the board.

I know DFI's offices are somewhere in Fremont? I don't know, but it's somewhere in the Bay Area. I'm going home this weekend and I need to drive to SVC to pick up a few things anyways, so I was wondering if I could just get a board exchange?

Edit: My system is not OCed and HAS NOT been for a good 3 months

I believe their office is in San Jose.

But, i don't think it's the board. Have you tried running at STOCK settings? Have you tried actively cooling your memory since those get really really hot?

Also - what bios version are you using? 6/23-3 would be your best bet.

I believe their office is in San Jose.

But, i don't think it's the board. Have you tried running at STOCK settings? Have you tried actively cooling your memory since those get really really hot?

Also - what bios version are you using? 6/23-3 would be your best bet.

623-3 is being used

1) I am running stock. Read my Edit above.

2) My case is open at this point. I have my Panaflo on my CPU runnign FULL speed. Even with the fan volted down, I IDLE at 24 - 27 degrees. I load at like low 30s. My HD has another 120mm fan blowing at it (currently running full speed). My 7200.8 idles around 30 and the Hitachi a degree or two lower. Load is under 35. My temps are definitely fine

3) Video card has a VF700 running at full speed. I idle around low 40s and load up to 60s.

4) I have an exhaust 120mm fan.

Trust me. cooling is sufficient. If 2 drives are both bad, that's a surprise. I'm running 2 7K250s (1 in an old comp) and they have been fine. I HIGHLY doubt that this Hitachi in my current comp is bad because its the newer of the 2 7K250s I have. moreover, it's always been a 2ndary drive and SMART shows it as totally fine. It's current values = worst values, and so SMART gives its fitness rating a 100%.

The Seagate drive on the other hand has been known to have problems (refer to SR). My drive has been fine, but it COULD be problematic. However, symptoms on this drive are teh SAME as on the Hitachi drive, making me wonder that this is a chipset/board problem.

I'm just hoping if I can RMA, that I can do this in a painless process. I liked how I went home one weekend and I talked to OCZ and I drove to their place and swapped sticks of RAM within 10 minutes.