Sign in to follow this  
rsh2k1

Help on Mysterious BSOD

Hi all,

So in the week or two that I've been reading DFI-street religiously, I've made some changes, as per the recommendations of more experienced builders and tweakers.

1. The PSU has been upgraded to the OCZ Powerstream 520W.

2. I changed out stock AMD cooling for an XP-90.

That is all that I have done. But now, I have to solve a mystery.

Before I swapped out the PSU and changed the heatsink, I ran a couple of tests.

First, I ran Memtest on both sticks of ram, individually, and then together. I haven't touched either one in terms of OC, and both passed all the Memtest tests.

Second, with only one stick of RAM in, my CD-ROM not plugged in, and with stock cooling and a 430W PSU, I ran StressPrime for 8 hours and the system passed everything.

Now, I've changed the PSU; changed the heatsink. And added back in the other stick of RAM.

I ran StressPrime last night for over 9 hours; no failures, no errors. So I went to close SP, and the comp crashed. It was a BSOD, but it flashed by so quickly that I wasn't able to jot down the errors. It immediately rebooted, and then prior to POST gave me an error about how boot block was changed, and how it might affect my boot disk priorities, then went into Windows XP for two minutes. It then crashed, flashed a BSOD, rebooted, but this time, w/o the boot-disk/boot blocks error, popped up Windows. But as soon as I touched the mouse, it rebooted again, no boot-block error pre-POST, posted successfully, and then simply hangs on Windows XP. It stays stuck on the "Welcome" window just prior to showing the icon selection for each user.

Again, the BSOD went by so fast I couldn't write anything down.

What do you think is the problem here? I haven't touched anything else but PSU, heatsink, and plugging in the CD-ROM.

Thanks everyone.

-r

Go into Control Panel -> System Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Startup and Recovery Settings.

Deselect "Automatically Restart"

Now you can write down the BSOD message.

There is a BIOS setting that will allow the BSOD to remain. Something along the line of Halt On All Errors. Then you should be able to see the tech info in the BSOD. Sometimes googling the error will help.

There is a BIOS setting that will allow the BSOD to remain. Something along the line of Halt On All Errors. Then you should be able to see the tech info in the BSOD. Sometimes googling the error will help.

I don't think that refers to OS errors and crashes.

I'll try to get into Windows and deselect that setting.

I don't think I applied too much AS-5; I've done that before, so I followed the official Arctic Silver instructions pretty closely. It's possible, of course, but then again, 9+ hours of passing StressPrime suggests to me that the problem probably isn't in the CPU or RAM.

I'll see if I can find a way to get the BSOD to stay.

Thanks all

-r

Okay, I managed to get into Windows long enough to deselect the Auto-Restart option. Over the next several reboot cycles, I've copied down as much of the error messages as I could.

First, the BSOD:

Ah, the dreaded IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. Error code:

0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8051E106)

Second, a couple of interesting non-BSOD errors.

I got three errors all which popped up, said Windows needed to shut down, and gave me a countdown timer. Apparently, they all are triggered by NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM, but the problem is different each time.

Error 1: DCOM Server Process Launcher terminated unexpectedly.

Error 2: C:WindowsSystem32lsass.exe terminated, code -1073741819

Error 3: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) terminated unexpectedly.

Each of these three rebooted the comp in 30 secs or so.

And then, I got a within-Windows crash (you know, where it comes up and asks if you want to send error message to Microsoft):

Generic Host Process for Win32 services has encountered a problem....

I clicked on more details and got:

szAppName: svchost.exe, szAppVer: 5.1.2600.2180

szModName: rpcss.dll, szModVer: 5.1.2600.2726

offset: 0000527c

I'm assuming that the rpcss.dll is the same as or related to the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) that died.

So... I know the IRQL errors are hard to figure out what's what. Any common suggestions as to what might be causing this?

-r

Well, some poking around suggests that I have already contracted the W32 Blaster worm... just before I was able to install my various AdAware and such. Only had AVGFree installed....

BTW, I did follow the install guide pretty closely. Guess I'll try to disinfect and go from there.

-r

Guest Dynamic

Have you tried flashing your BIOS to the lastest version? Why do you still have 3/10/05? Another thing, how is your hard drive configuration? Are you still running raid-1 with two SATAII drives? Which drivers have you installed for your chipset and hard drive to be recognized as raid anyhow? Let me know....

Have you tried flashing your BIOS to the lastest version? Why do you still have 3/10/05? Another thing, how is your hard drive configuration? Are you still running raid-1 with two SATAII drives? Which drivers have you installed for your chipset and hard drive to be recognized as raid anyhow? Let me know....

I have not flashed the BIOS to the latest version, based on posts on this board recommending that one not touch the BIOS until one needs to in order to fix a specific problem.

Now, this might be that problem. :-)

From what I can tell, people don't necessarily use the latest BIOS; should I just flash to the latest, or try and pick one of the earlier ones?

My HD config --> still running RAID-1 with two SATAII drives, exactly as you've said. I've installed the drivers off the floppy that came with the nF4 board, following the RAID installation guide on DFI-Street to the letter.

Everything was working beautifully before the CPU swap and the heatsink swap.

However, I did add a CD-ROM, another stick of RAM (already passed MemTest) as well. How that affects things, I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks!

-r

Have you looked in the event viewer to see what errors Windows logged? sounds more of a OS Data corruption to me.

Go start/run/eventvwr.msc then when event viewer comes up click on system.. and see what erros have been logged

The eventvwr logged a whole bunch of errors, in between warnings and information (which are harmless). Is there something particular that I'm looking for?

In the meantime, I have yet another BSOD, but this one suggests something....

It appears my nvatabus.sys caused a BSOD - apparently, something odd is going on with my nvraid drivers....

Would flashing to the latest BIOS help this issue?

Or should I just follow instructions from http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140

Or both?

Thanks all

-r