i hate microsoft

powsmowl

even though its probably normal, after installing windows for the 4th (installing + activated = 8) time on this PC i cant use my CD key to activate windows anymore, and im not spending 130€ for another one, anyone know what to do?

If you call them to activate it. They will ask something along the lines of why. I just always told ive reformated 1 too many times apparently.

I agree M$ does suck when it comes to this. Linux is a good alternative, but can be difficult to learn, im still working on it, thank god for vmware....if i hose something all i have to do is reinstall my virtual machine :P

If you call them to activate it. They will ask something along the lines of why. I just always told ive reformated 1 too many times apparently.

I agree M$ does suck when it comes to this. Linux is a good alternative, but can be difficult to learn, im still working on it, thank god for vmware....if i hose something all i have to do is reinstall my virtual machine :P

Ubuntu seemed pretty strait forward to me as far as I went with it on the Ultra. Unfortunatly lunix does not seem to like some of the older systems that I weant to use it on :(

I have used and installed Suse, Free BSD, Net BSD, Gentoo, Lycoris,Debian, and Fedora core, and Mandrake and Yellow dog on my PPC machines. Suse seemed to be the easiest for me to install, its all graphical. So is Lycoris. Simple and worked. There are some good pay alternatives, like linspire, I hear it is excellent and CHEAP for an OS.

Stay away from Gentoo and Debian if you dont like a command line and a compile on your install.

Stay far far away from any BSD (unless you are using os x on a mac) they can be intimidating.

ps-for free downloads check this place out http://linuxiso.org/

Gentoo can be a bit difficult.. BUt Ubuntu is not that hard to install...plus they have a good user forum... You can do all the installtions in graphical menu...and there are lots of good illustrative guides.. Only problem is you have to come back to windows to play games..there is a program you can install on linux to run windows games.. but thats not free..lol.. like most of the linux programs.. and also the incompatibility of microsoft word and stuff..

You will not have to worry about viruses, trojans, ad-ware or anything.. and even if they do get in, they cant do any damage to the kernel.. unlike windows where everything that gets into IE can go straight to kernel...

Have a go bro..I would suggest Ubuntu.... anyway good luck with your windows..

Unfortunatly lunix does not seem to like some of the older systems that I weant to use it on :(

That sounds odd, at least to me. Usually you'll be able to find something for whatever hardware you have, even some old junk.

A very easy distro is VectorLinux, which assembles much of what you have in Slackware; just one CD but pretty powerful and easy to work with. My old Intell 2.4Ghz got an awesome boost when running this one.

I would suggest that for testing out extreme OC a Linux partition would be very handsome, since it takes a lot more to crasch it. And if - let's say you have one OS just for testing - it goes really fast to reinstall it again.

That sounds odd, at least to me. Usually you'll be able to find something for whatever hardware you have, even some old junk.

A very easy distro is VectorLinux, which assembles much of what you have in Slackware; just one CD but pretty powerful and easy to work with. My old Intell 2.4Ghz got an awesome boost when running this one.

Yeah, Suse has a live eval cd also, I think most of the major builds have them.