Sign in to follow this  
mursaat

HOW TO - Install Windows in 25 minutes

Depends about speed of hardware, user installing the system... and all the myriad settings which need fine tuning.
In my case, the [b]only[/b] way to get system running in 25 minutes is taking these steps:

1. Clean install of OS, drivers, softwares and updates.
2. Tune and tweak all you want.
3. Make an image of partition and save it for future usage to suitable place!

Now, THAT took a whole lot of time, but NOW I can install a whole system in 25 minutes:

[b]4. When ever OS and softwares need reinstalling, just restore image![/b]

All settings and tweaks are already in place.
Try to keep image updated after major hardware changes.
For image storage, I recommend either DVD-/+RW or DVD-RAM disks.

I don't have fast computer, so this is only way I can get things done in 25 minutes.
Otherwise (like in steps 1 and 2) it takes MUCH longer time!
Mainly because all those tweaks and neccessary softwares I have to install... :tooth:

[quote name='Cooler']Depends about speed of hardware, user installing the system... and all the myriad settings which need fine tuning.
In my case, the [b]only[/b] way to get system running in 25 minutes is taking these steps:

1. Clean install of OS, drivers, softwares and updates.
2. Tune and tweak all you want.
3. Make an image of partition and save it for future usage to suitable place!

Now, THAT took a whole lot of time, but NOW I can install a whole system in 25 minutes:

[b]4. When ever OS and softwares need reinstalling, just restore image![/b]

All settings and tweaks are already in place.
Try to keep image updated after major hardware changes.
For image storage, I recommend either DVD-/+RW or DVD-RAM disks.

I don't have fast computer, so this is only way I can get things done in 25 minutes.
Otherwise (like in steps 1 and 2) it takes MUCH longer time!
Mainly because all those tweaks and neccessary softwares I have to install... :tooth:[/quote]
What do you use to create the image? Is there any freeware image programs?

I used to use earlier version of Ghost, but I got tired to waiting a version which would also restore images with my current setup. When v10 got out, I was already convinced Acronis TrueImage user.

Earlier, it was nice to make bootable CD with image on it... and later just boot from it to restore system. Current system requires more than one CD/DVD, but that's what the spanning is for...

If my memory serves, Acronis have trial versions of their software(s), so check it out.

Edit: As far as for freeware alternative, I don't know. Perhaps Google is your friend?

[quote name='HITandRUN']Installed my win xp pro with sp2 in about 10 or 12 min. with the system in my sig. :shake: LOL[/quote]

Damn Straight! Heres an easier way to install XP Pro or my case, Windows MCE in about 10-15 minutes.

Step 1: Order 2 36gig, 74 gig, or 150 gig Raptors from [url="http://www.newegg.com"]www.newegg.com[/url].
Step 2: Mount them in your computer with a screwdriver and screws being sure to mount them in the hard-drive rack and not anywhere else.
Step 3: Attach SATA cable and SATA power.
Step 4: Use NVRAID and make it into a RAID0 array.
Step 5: Watch those puppies fly!

DriveImage XML is Free, im just starting to use it but I havent been successful yet.
but its a nice little program, Anyone else tried it ???

Guest burningrave101
You should keep in mind that when you install and run programs from a partition separate from the OS that you have increased latency imposed when switching between the two partitions which will be constantly done when doing something like playing a game.

Yes it does make things tidier but it doesn't help with performance. For performance i would suggest a C: partition in the 40-80GB range that you install your primary OS on and all the applications and games you intend to actually run. Then i would leave the remainder of the drive for data storage and you can just have it as one large partition or multiple partitions if you want to divide the data up into a certain organization. The fastest portion of the drive is located at the very beginning. If you Games directory is located halfway across the disk, and its a large disk, then your not getting the best performance regardless of the fact you've already increased latency beceause your switching between partitions accessing files.

[quote name='burningrave101']You should keep in mind that when you install and run programs from a partition separate from the OS that you have increased latency imposed when switching between the two partitions which will be constantly done when doing something like playing a game.

Yes it does make things tidier but it doesn't help with performance. For performance i would suggest a C: partition in the 40-80GB range that you install your primary OS on and all the applications and games you intend to actually run. Then i would leave the remainder of the drive for data storage and you can just have it as one large partition or multiple partitions if you want to divide the data up into a certain organization. The fastest portion of the drive is located at the very beginning. If you Games directory is located halfway across the disk, and its a large disk, then your not getting the best performance regardless of the fact you've already increased latency beceause your switching between partitions accessing files.[/quote]

what if programs and games are on a seperate HDD from OS?

for intance my current setup is a 75g raptor which i (temporarily) split into five 12g partitions
C: Main OS
D: Games
E: Programs
F: OS2
G: OS3

second HDD is 250g seagate barracuda split into 3 partitions
H: Pagefile (8g)
I: Media (200g)
J: Backup/Recovery (30g)

i understand the raptor is slower to access programs and games on a different partition within the same HDD...

but eventually i am planning on running a second 75g raptor as a single large partition for games and programs, and reformat the Games and Programs partitions on my current raptor(above) to just be setup for OS partitions 5x12g.

would a 3 HDD setup(non-raid) be faster than having OS and all program files and games on the same partiton © in raid0 with the two 75g raptors instead?

I'd like to add:

For Firefox and Thunderbird, you can store your entire configuration on the D partition.
If you go to your C:Documents and Settings[username]Application Data. In here you will see two folders: "Mozilla" for firefox, and "Thunderbird" for thunderbird.

Open up each folder and you will find a profiles folder and a profiles.cfg file. copy the profiles folder over to your D: drive. open up the config file in notepad and change two lines...

[code]IsRelative=1
Path=u9n0ot4l.default[/code]

change the 'IsRelative=1' to 'IsRelative=0' and change the path to the folder that mozilla is going to be in. here is what it looks like for me...

[code]IsRelative=0
Path=D:ConstantsMozillaThunderbirdu9n0ot4l.default[/code]

you can also copy that file over to your D drive as well, so next time you install mozilla, simply copy the configuration file over and thats it. everything gets writted to D: drive, everything stays on D: drive.

I got a few issues with this guide:

1.)Some apps require your documents folder to be at the default location, while others just write to the default and then you're like whereTF are my files?? So 10GB for C: just won't cut it in those instances.

2.) Some apps also require the swapfile to be on C: so that won't work. I think it's mostly video and photo apps though.

3.) Some apps might work without installing them again, but might not work correctly without the proper registry keys.

I commend your effort, but it seems a bit tailored for your specific needs. With a little more research this could become a more generally applicable guide. I would include things like portable apps, registry backups, disk images for 5 min recoveries, etc. You can PM me or hit me up on msn messenger if you want and we can brainstorm on it.

what needs to be updated from this guide?

I want to reformat and I am debating of doing this. But im worried about programs running

with new drives out 25minutes seems like an eternity...

I just got a New Maxtor 160gig sata drive retail and I installed windows in 10 minutes flat....seriously...

Pulled the hard drive out of the box...mounted it in a Abit-AV8 (via chipset)-3700sandy

plopped the floppy in...booted the drive and supplied the F6 drivers and was done in 12 minutes flat with all of that...had 71.9mb/s transfer rate with HD/tach on 1 drive...

:)