Sign in to follow this  
dwd

Hi there DFI'ers

Hi (hoping im posting the "saluting" in the right place)

i'm new around, come here to learn more about OC and configure the best way of getting a good stable and fast settings

I hope get my solutions here, for now im reading and trying to OC my Opty 146 with excelent stepping

I tried last night for OC but i didnt get too much.. just reached the 2222mhz.. so low

maybe im doing it wrong.. im still learning and testing, more tests for this night

still so confused..

BTW Excelent site, congratz for this one and the ppl around suporting this

DFI for the winner, for now im enjoying, my first time getting one

cumps

Ps. l8r on im posting the using procedure

Welcome to the street buddy! You will always find help here for all your problems. If you go by the above mentioned OC guide you can't do anything wrong. Always pay attention to the temps. :shake:

Hi again

With a few attempts.. and bios resets.. For now im using..

Max mem clock (mhz) - 133

Memory Timing - 2t

LTd 4x

Fsb 251

Multiplier 10x

In CPU-z

CPU

Core speed 2518mhzHTT 251.8mhz

MEMORY

167.9mhz

FSB : DRAM cpu/15

well i not gueting this one... perhaps i should read the OCguide again..

I want to hit the 3000mhz stable..

what should i try in bios ? im not gueting that htt thing heww

i just reached this litle high OC with low mhz in ram..

Continuing reading and trying

btw, i dont have anything sata connected

cumps

Whats up with the ram running at 133MHz? Is this the default speed detected on the MOBO? What are the timings? What is the exact part # on the ram? You said it is OCZ? What are the steppings on the cpu? Which core? Which PSU? Need more info!!! :shake:

Whats up with the ram running at 133MHz? Is this the default speed detected on the MOBO? What are the timings? What is the exact part # on the ram? You said it is OCZ? What are the steppings on the cpu? Which core? Which PSU? Need more info!!! :shake:

@ HITandRUN, I think he read the OC guide cause he's excluding the ram to find his max cpu oc. In other words he's using a divider and the timings aren't relevant at this moment. Stepping is in his sig.

@ dwd, you should lower your ldt (set it to 3x) if you want to reach a higher htt. If you want to determine your max htt, you should lower the multiplier to, let's say, 7x or 6x. Like HITandRun I want to know what your vcore is set to.

Keep us posted... :P

BTW, keep in mind that not every Opteron can hit 3ghz stable. ;)

here we go for the specs

DFI Lanparty NF3 Ultra-D (Bios 07/11/2005)

AMD Opteron 146 (CABNE 0545BPMW) Venus, Revision E4, stepping 1, Model 7, Ext Model 27

PC3200 ddr400 Dual 512MB OCZ

ATI x850 xt Platinium Edition 256mb AGP8x

Watercooling Alphacool in Sckt 939

PSU Blue Aspire ATX 500w

1 ATA Western Digital 60GB / 1 ATA MAXTOR 200GB

1 NEC DVD Writer / 1 NEC CDR Writer

Ram Timings

Cas latency 2.5 clocks

Ras to Cas delay 4 clocks

Ras Precharge 4 clocks

Cycle time Tras 9 clocks

Bank Cycle Time Trc 12 clocks

Dram idle Timer 16 clocks

the other OC i post here was not stable.. crash few minutes after in 3dMark

the voltage of ram and cpu are default

cumps

he's using a divider and the timings aren't relevant at this moment.

The timings are relevent, even when the ram is on a divider. All the divider does, is lower the frequency...it doesn't make the timings any more stable. And while, yes, if the frequency is lower, the timings may matter less, or may allow more deviation from optimum, or stable settings, they are still relevent. There are so many settings, and all it takes is for 1 of them to be a little off. So if, when finding the max cpu speed, a benchmark fails, you wouldn't know if it's because the cpu has been maxxed out (cpu mhz), or if the cpu can not run that speed, while the timings on the ram are wrong (even more so since the memory controller is on the cpu).

This is why I think we should be finding the optimum ram freq. and timings, before moving on to the cpu. The timings on the ram have to be stable settings, not neccessarily optimum, even when the ram is on a divider. I've seen this happen several times.

More than likely you'll have to raise the vcore from default. Raise it in 0.025v increments while carefully monitoring temps under load.

FightGame said:

This is why I think we should be finding the optimum ram freq. and timings, before moving on to the cpu.

@FightGame: Hmmn...interesting point. I'm a relative tyro w oc, but what you say makes some sense. So you are saying that even though the lower freq makes the timings matter less...they do matter...and it would seem to me then that they would matter more and more as the cpu gets clocked ever faster...right? I would be interested in other opinions on this, BUT even if others disagree, I see no downside to doing the MemMax first as you suggest.

So you are saying that even though the lower freq makes the timings matter less...they do matter...and it would seem to me then that they would matter more and more as the cpu gets clocked ever faster...right?

Exactly what I am saying.

What is it exactly what you have there (PC3200 ddr400 Dual 512MB OCZ). Your timings look too lose for PC3200 (2.5-4-4-9) Are you running on a divider or what and why would you do this in the first place anyway. You don't even know what your cpu is able to do? I would put he ram on 1t and default settings and lower the multi to like 5 or 6 and that try to over clock.

Just send me the exact part number for your ram and I will send you some settings.

No panic we’ll help you out here!!! :nod: