[RESOLVED]BAD 4 PIN CONNECTOR>> New Build Problems!

Hi all....

Just got all my bits for what was meant to be my new pc....i have been looking forward to having a new one for a while and im a bit upset cause things arent going smoothly.

The pc is built up and is now booting intially it would not boot for some reason...and i had to take it out of the case and power it up on the workbench....but after that its worked fine.

I keep getting MACHINE EXCEPTION ERRORS....everytime i put in my XFX driver disc.....does nt happen on any other disc.... its a blue screen and completley kills my pc

Has anyone else been getting these errrors?

cheers!

First, Welcome to new build on the Street. With an Expert, an Opteron and 2 gig ram.

By the way, which BIOS did you Flash? Did you follow Initial Build sticky? Are you using (2 X 1) gig or (4 X 512) gig? Please use complete ID numbers on your Ram. Which fan are you using w/Big Typhoon? We are nosey, but you are asking the questions that need answering for your help.

Don't use the XFX disc use Nvidia site on-line for MB and Graffix.

Cheerio! lol.

Hi thanks! Pleased im here....really impressed with the feature set of the DFI mobo...just hope i can resolve the stability issues im having!

I did follow the intial build thread almost to the T without ever reading it! I think i installed my RAID card drivers first before the Nforce stuff tho..

I have updated my sig with the things you wanted to know!

Hi all please help the MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION occured again!!

i have just ran memtest for 3 hours without any probs....no errors at all....

could my mainboard be faukty? Is there a way i can check that out?

This may not relate to your current issue (or may), but will probably relate to a future issue you may have, but . . . does your XFX Extreme Edition have the molex (4pin) power connector or the PCI-E (6pin) power connector? Also, is the card a UDE7 model or a UDF7 model. Also, does it have the black PCB with two green DVI connectors? The model that I have (black PCB, molex connector) is known to not be stable at the factory overclocked speeds. Mine crashes in Half Life 2 every time at the overclocked speeds, but set back to 400/1000 it works like a dream. Hope you got a different version than mine as this is a common problem with my particular model. Check our XFX's website forums for more information on the issue.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

try running the system with minimal parts installed. so 1 hd, 1 cd rom, per channel, if hd is sata, then leave it and have dont have an ide hd in, have 1 stick of ram

good luck

This may not relate to your current issue (or may), but will probably relate to a future issue you may have, but . . . does your XFX Extreme Edition have the molex (4pin) power connector or the PCI-E (6pin) power connector? Also, is the card a UDE7 model or a UDF7 model. Also, does it have the black PCB with two green DVI connectors? The model that I have (black PCB, molex connector) is known to not be stable at the factory overclocked speeds. Mine crashes in Half Life 2 every time at the overclocked speeds, but set back to 400/1000 it works like a dream. Hope you got a different version than mine as this is a common problem with my particular model. Check our XFX's website forums for more information on the issue.

Hi cohort thanks for you reply!

My XFX Extreme is the molex 4 pin one, black pcb, with 2 green dvi outputs so yea sounds just like the your describing dont know the model number i will check tho! It has crashed in games but most of the time its just does it at desk top doing nothing intensive at all...... ie when autoplaying the xfx driver disc it always crashes!

So yea.....thinking about it i wonder if it is the card....mmm,...... how do i underclock it? using coolbits?

Suppa-Snipa....cheers for the advice...i will do the do that....maybe put the cdrom on the ide channels removing it from the raid card.

Many thanks! all!

blop, I am pretty sure that your card isn't causing your problems in 2D mode as it runs at very low clock speeds while in windows, but it could definately be contributing to crashing in games. You are correct that using the "coolbits" registry hack will allow you to set the clock speeds back to 7800GT reference speeds. Coolbits registry entry is actually contained on the XFX CD and works quite well, though since your CD seems to cause your system to crash, I would recommend downloading it.

As for your BSOD problems, have you run any stability tests besides Memtest86? It seems you have probably ruled out the RAM as the problem. Now why not run Prime95 small FTT to stress the CPU to the max and rule that out as a problem also. Also, do you own a multimeter so that you could manually test your PSU? You mention a RAID card too. Why not try the onboard nVidia SATA connector first and get everything stable, then try installing your RAID card? Let's get this figured out so you can enjoy your new build instead of worrying about it!

Cohort. ... i worked it out in the end...it seems that the Y connector that i had pluged in to my fan and second harddisk was not producing a good connection.... I brushed past it whilst i was inside my case and heard the harddisk click off and the familar Blue Screen of Death occured....... So i replaced this Y connector and everything is fine....i can even autoplay the XFX disc now.

Many thanks!

Hey! Congrats man. It always feels great to find that one "bad connection" that is holding your whole system back. Glad you were able to solve your problem so you can finally enjoy your rig. Now sit down and start gaming! :)