Sign in to follow this  
powsmowl

time to start saving!

same here thunda, ill just be upgrading to an X2 and 2gb of RAM and some modding stuff for the same price as that, as you said the x850xt is great atm

I seriously doubt I will purchase ATI graphics cards again until they come out with their 32-pipe version

its fine and dandy to have a 700Mhz+ gpu with 3 shaders per pipe, but honestly, it just can't really do the high-end load that a 24-32 pipe card with even only 2 shaders can do at lesser clock speeds.

I know I know I've read the little reviews etc that say it is as good as the 7800GTX etc...but I just am one of those persons that would rather have a V8 engine at 240hp than a souped-up 4 cylinder that also is 240hp

I mean, which would you rather have to do your serious racing????

I'd rather have the souped up 4 cylinder engine if it's more efficient :shake:

more efficient?

if you want efficient, get a 6600GT that doesn't require extra power connections and will play the game decently

but what is better....a 500Mhz gpu on a 6600GT with 8 pipes...or a 500Mhz gpu on a 7800GT with 20 pipes???

I mean efficient as in can do more/same without taking too much more power. Usually an 8cyl. engine takes more gas than a 4cyl. engine. So if you soup up the 4cyl. engine to be as powerful as the 8cyl. engine the next thing your going to look at is how much fuel each one takes (and money) whichever one performs just as well or better but takes less gas(and money) for the amount it produces is the winner.

I seriously doubt I will purchase ATI graphics cards again until they come out with their 32-pipe version

its fine and dandy to have a 700Mhz+ gpu with 3 shaders per pipe, but honestly, it just can't really do the high-end load that a 24-32 pipe card with even only 2 shaders can do at lesser clock speeds.

I know I know I've read the little reviews etc that say it is as good as the 7800GTX etc...but I just am one of those persons that would rather have a V8 engine at 240hp than a souped-up 4 cylinder that also is 240hp

I mean, which would you rather have to do your serious racing????

Well said!!

I mean efficient as in can do more/same without taking too much more power. Usually an 8cyl. engine takes more gas than a 4cyl. engine. So if you soup up the 4cyl. engine to be as powerful as the 8cyl. engine the next thing your going to look at is how much fuel each one takes (and money) whichever one performs just as well or better but takes less gas(and money) for the amount it produces is the winner.

But, running that (excuse the term) riced out 4cyl is gonna blow its top long before the v8 will, pulling the same HP and beating times just as well. How many bolt on parts and such does the 4cyl need?

Ask any street racer. Those hyped up 4cyl will burn out and need their valves adjusted and their ports polished LONG before that V8 will.

depends on alot of things.

As far as horsepower and racing, well I think a power per pound ratio is more important, so it also depends on how heavy the cars are. If the 4 banger is much lighter, then it will win some races. The 8 cylinder will win the ones with longer straight aways, as it will probably have a higher top end.

As far as being efficient, well that depends on whether that 4 banger has a turbo or a supercharger, it's weight, and if it's running nitro, higher octane or plain old 87 grade, lol. For racing, nobody cares about how much money they have to spend in gas, as long as it's a gas that's allowed, and they win. And for comparing to video cards, video cards are a one time fee anyway.

The cars have all these variables, but what variables do the cards have ...hmm...maybe heat, which can effect it's performance, and the performance of the other components around it, if some special cooling isn't being used.