Sign in to follow this  
red930

Media PC and the benefits.

if i wanna record in good quality from my satalite tv box do i just buy one of these WinTV-PVR-500 MCE and use the video capture apps?

will this be the same quality as the hdtv torrent downloads?

No, quality sucks (if you know quality) and i c you do since ur downloading hd torrents. There is no pci card that will record from a set top box hdtv. Im always looking for one so if anyone dose known of one please post. :D

Ati dose have off air but......well theres alot stipulations involved. (tower,tunner)

also to record hd it must be brodcast in hd and your set top box has to be a hd box.

I am actually looking to build a cheap MPC around a skt754 and a DFI K8T800PRO-ALF Socket 754 VIA K8T800 Pro mobo. I assume this mobo would be me eh'?

My idea of a Media PC is a usenet account with 70+ day retention, a cheap DSL line, a quiet PC, the hifi in my sig, and a dell 2005fpw screen. Whatever movie, TV show, or music I want available with no uploading required. :D

Yes, I read the link but I would like to see some realworld results before someone gets caught in a situation where it doesn't perform satisfactorily. What does "slower" mean in terms of performance? I hope that everyone considering a MediaPC would read and understand the documentation provided by the manufacturer.

The problems you encountered are exactly why I recommend the USB version of the product. Your dissatisfaction with the included software is exactly why I recommend the BeyondTV software.

The provided links will also lead you to the support forums so you can do some research regarding your specific setup.

Could you post exactly which cards you had problems with and a little more detail?

Ah, so you mean MFG saying "it works, but it's slower" is like "Minimum hardware requirements" are, I.E. it works, but it's not usable? :nod:

As the situation we're still having here with digital TV is what closely reminds me about all those "wonderful features" one can "enjoy" while being in beta test group, I seriously doubt I'm going to purchase any more DVB equipment any time soon. :tooth:

Also, as for buying 3rd party software like BeyondTV is still unacceptable for me.

Support forum of Hauppage is familiar to me, but... well, let me put it this way: If I would get brand new product (within a month of it's release!), the forum could be useful for period of few months. For anything older hardware, there's practically no new solutions even after release of new drivers/software with new bugs.

My hardware? WinTV Nova-T PCI ("new" model) is still inside the case. I took older analog card out. It looks somewhat like this: http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_401.html

Problems?

Digital card: Absolutely none of the recording functions are working, not to mention time shift. Screen shot cannot be taken. Occasionally I get no picture at all, but OSD shows upside down. Subtitles work only occasionally... if moon is precisely at correct position. Quality of video/audio is lousy, etc. "minor" features. I'll try the latest drivers and software soon, but if card does not work any better, it's begging to receive some "remodelling". :sweat:

Analog card? I'll return to battle with that, after I'll get DVB card working correctly. Until that happens, the card may stay in coma. :rolleyes:

USB equipment sounds every day more and more viable option, but with my poor income it's going to take some time to get one. :tooth:

Edit: Tried v2.4 drivers and software... with bad results. At 800*600 TV screen I can only see about 1cm stripe of picture at left and right of the window. The rest is black. Program info (EPG) is in wrong language, too. It's hammer time for TV card... :mad:

I have seen the future...

and it's expensive. LOL

Shame on you for tempting me to sell my left arm for that! :drool: :D

I'll never get much needed other upgrades if I keep seeing (and drooling) for new and expensive products like that! :tooth: