Sign in to follow this  
wladek

Amd A64 3700 Oc #1

Hi guys.. I recently built the machine listed in my specs (damn x800 is on RMA). I've been playing around with oc'ing and I think I've hit my max.

My VCore is currently at 1.57V

Chipset is at 1.66V

DRAM is at 2.82V

FSB: 246MHz no dividers

3700 has a 11 multiplier so I'm running at 2706MHz

I am currently prime95 (12 hr and counting) stable and could push it further but my temps aren't the greatest. Idle sits between 35 and 38 and my load is anywhere from 44 up to 50 C.. then my BIOS gives the CPU fan full load and it stays below or on 50.

a) Does this seem high for the heatsink I own (XP90Copper)?

B) Should I have the CPU fan go at full throttle at a lower temperature?

c) Anyone with the same proc want to give me their voltage settings for a 2.8 GHz oc?

Cheers,

-w

Set it for full fan at 40C. That way you won't have the fan when idling but it will kick in sooner and keep the ambient down too. That way you might never hit 50C.

I'd recommend possibly applying the heatsink again.. clean the chip and heatsink, put the stuff on again, perhaps you put too much, too little, etc.

What is your system temp when the CPU goes to 50c? What fan do you have?

I've thought about reseating the heatsink too.. i thought I did fine, used a razor and everything, but I haven't applied too many heatsinks so i may of squished around too much. How much goo is enough?

I bought a cheapie led light 92mm fan.. just for looks and because I was broke. Can anyone recommend a better one (quieter the better).

Chipset stays at a cozy 45C during the prime95 test. Stock cooling.

-w

I think you can bring down the voltage a bit.. did you try it..?

I run 258x11 at 1.475v.. I know it wont work the same for u, but you may try putting it down it a bit..

You should re-seat your hsf.. it shouldn't go a lot higher in 50c.. your chipset at 45c?? thats amazing..? my chipset is always higher than the cpu.. my cpu idels at 25c (its winter here..lol) and the chipset around 38c..

Re-seat your hsf with AS5..

Yeah, a little goes a long way with thermal paste. You only want to put about a bb size amount, no more. That is for AS5 of course, but all types of thermal paste should be around same ammount I would think. I have my 3700 running at 2605 right now. I have the memory running 200mhz 2.5-3-3-6 2T with 4x512. The CPU is at 237x11= CPU-Z saying 2.607 @ 1.55v. Temps are around 28C idle and 42 full load. Chipset sits around 34 idle and 37 load. As madu said, it's winter hear also :). My 3200 Whinchester would idle at 25C and the CPU fan would keep shutting on and off since 25 is the lowest setting for full on fan in bios, lol.

It's winter here too (north east of Toronto, Canada)

I'll see about getting that thermal grease and re applying it and possibly getting a new fan too.

The reason the vcore is so high is because is that is the minimum voltage I need to achieve prime95 stability.. otherwise it crashes on a torture test after 20 mins.

-w

ladek, at 1.53 i get mad errors, @ 2751mhz. @ 1.57/9 i get stability, and 54 degrees on my xp90 c, i also have a cheapie led fan, but ive got a 92 mm panaflo high performance fan on its way. you can get one from performance-pcs.com for about 12.99 us dollars.

good luck, and do reseat that heatsink, and which way do you have the heatpipes facing>?

Right now the heatpipes are facing the ram.. Can barely get my pcie video card in the 16x slot, but it blocks the port above it.

I'll look into that fan.

-w

I wouldnt think so...

From my experience (maybe others experience otherwise), the higher the fsb, the higher the voltage you have to give FOR THE SAME CPU FREQUENCY.

Mean for me, if I have to give more voltage to 250x11 than 275x10... This is just an example, I dont need to higher voltage for this setting, but when I get to around 2.84 range, I have to govemore voltage to go on a lower multi..