Sign in to follow this  
Aragorn_CY

DFI EXPERT Problem!!!!

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my motherboard and before sending it back for RMA i thought of letting you know, maybe there is an answer out there.

I connected everything to my DFI Expert (2 Raptors in Raid0 and 2 Barracuda in Raid 0, 7800GTX 256 Ram, 2 x 1GB Ballistic memory) and after 5-10 secs the CPU fan and chipset fan stop working. I tried every possible solution i could find in the forum and the best thing that happened was to go up to the DFI Expert logo screen and stop. I can not even go in the bios settings!!! My power supply is the Enermax 600W (2 x PCI-E). Never had any problems with it.

As i can see a lot of people have similar problems as me and i was thinking whether i should send it back as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Thanks for your quick reply.

The thing is that i am paying in order to get something that will work from the first time. I remember buying the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR and i had no problems. Why is this happening with the DFI Expert? I think DFI should find an answer to this as soon as possible so that i wont have to spend my time finding out what the problem is. I already wasted my whole Sunday in order to figure what is going on.

It really doesnt matter what mobo you buy, you should still start with minimal hardware when you install windows.

I would take out the non-sytem drives and disconnect any other non-vital components and see if that helps.

Thats standard on all new system builds...

Thanks for your quick reply.

The thing is that i am paying in order to get something that will work from the first time. I remember buying the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR and i had no problems. Why is this happening with the DFI Expert? I think DFI should find an answer to this as soon as possible so that i wont have to spend my time finding out what the problem is. I already wasted my whole Sunday in order to figure what is going on.

not sure I understand the argument of this...you are paying to get something that works the first time?

How about listening to Rgone and start with a minimal build so you can get up and running?

then you can put everything in and make it all work together...

if you want something that runs right out of the box with every piece of hardware already mashed into it and configured etc, then you should get an OEM built computer like a Dell or Gateway.

If you are wanting to build your own, then you have to lose the unrealistic expectation that you can just mash all your hardware in and it will boot right up and work without any problems (because that is just not reality)

Wow, blame everything but the Expert. It couldn't possibly be that board, right? Still soo many people here are in denial about issues with the Expert. Did you guys read his post? It all worked with the SLI-DR, but not with the Expert. They are esentially the same board, at least hardware-wise, just different layout and power regulation. How could that equate to him being expected to strip his entire system bare just to get it to boot?

If the board runs like crap, then it probably is crap. I went through the exact same problem in December. After a week of playing the game of stripping down my system, I had to RMA the board, discovering at that point that it was faulty. Also, I do believe that people pay money to have their hardware work the first time, and very good money at that. To say that the hardware (mainly the Expert mobo) shouldn't be expected to work when it is intitialy installed is one very narrow-minded and distrubing statement. Think about that statement, do you really stand by it? I know I damn well expect that if I pay that much for a board I would very much expect it to boot into the bios, at the very least, no matter what the hell was connected to it!

Shawn

Okay look. If you truly read up on stuff, you SHOULD EXPECT to have to do atleast somthing. The expectation that 'OMG everything should work if I plug it into it' is just bull crap. I've been running my Expert for 3 weeks, and not a single BSOD, crash, or error. Was the first shipment of experts probably flaky? Hell yes. But if you would have waited for it to mature for the least bit, it probably would have been better. Like was said above, if you want everything to work flawlessly out of the box, get a .in dell.

i think its time to give people 30 day bans when they cuss in forums. Especially if there dogging the admins. Show some respect people. Cuss out the hardware, not the people who are here to help!

Again, wow. Thank you for the narrow-minded "mine works so go screw yourself" reply. You make this a very helpful place. Is it really too much for him to expect ? He has a video card, ram, sound card and hard drives hooked up, that's it. And it won't even get into the bios. His fans stop spinning. Yep must be the sound card, wait no the hard drive. Hmm. All of it worked with the SLI-DR. Hmmm... must be anything but the Expert.

Right. Wake up and offer some help, not you need to work harder at getting this flakey (your word) motherboard to work properly. Hell, I sold mine because it didn't work right, this is very true. You know why? Because I shouldn't have to put up with not having a computer for weeks at a time while yet another RMA is being processed. I really like DFI, the SLI-DR has been one of the most stable motherboards I have ever used, so this is not DFI bashing at all. Shame on me, right, go get a dell because I felt it necessary to use my computer over the Christmas holiday season. No, I wanted something that worked right and didn't require a week worth of troubleshooting to be able to access the bios screen. But come on man, get a grip. Even bring up the possibility that it could be the Expert motherboard at fault and people like you flip out and start throwing around insults. I'm very glad that you have had yours running for three weeks with no problems. Good for you. But guess what? There a some people around here that haven't been so lucky and this is your way of helping out?

I connected everything to my DFI Expert (2 Raptors in Raid0 and 2 Barracuda in Raid 0, 7800GTX 256 Ram, 2 x 1GB Ballistic memory) and after 5-10 secs the CPU fan and chipset fan stop working. I tried every possible solution i could find in the forum and the best thing that happened was to go up to the DFI Expert logo screen and stop. I can not even go in the bios settings!!! My power supply is the Enermax 600W (2 x PCI-E). Never had any problems with it.

I agree that you should take it back to the basics with only one hard drive, one video card, and one stick of memory in there. I would also unplug the power supply and clear the CMOS for a few minutes, then try and boot into the bios. If it gets that far then enable RAID, configure memory timings and whatnot. Let me know how it turns out, hopefully it was just a simple memory setting the board choked on.

Wow, blame everything but the Expert. It couldn't possibly be that board, right? Still soo many people here are in denial about issues with the Expert.

The point is the only way to diagnose the problem is to start at the beginning again. RMA'ing the board does no good if they find nothing wrong with it.

There a some people around here that haven't been so lucky and this is your way of helping out?

Vern, you aren't helping either. I understand you weren't happy with your purchase and I sympathize. However some of us are trying to help another user that is willing to spend some time and try to fix his. If you have any ideas that might help that'd be great, but other comments just aren't necessary.

Again, wow. Thank you for the narrow-minded "mine works so go screw yourself" reply. You make this a very helpful place. Is it really too much for him to expect ? He has a video card, ram, sound card and hard drives hooked up, that's it. And it won't even get into the bios. His fans stop spinning. Yep must be the sound card, wait no the hard drive. Hmm. All of it worked with the SLI-DR. Hmmm... must be anything but the Expert.

Right. Wake up and offer some help, not you need to work harder at getting this flakey (your word) motherboard to work properly. Hell, I sold mine because it didn't work right, this is very true. You know why? Because I shouldn't have to put up with not having a computer for weeks at a time while yet another RMA is being processed. I really like DFI, the SLI-DR has been one of the most stable motherboards I have ever used, so this is not DFI bashing at all. Shame on me, right, go get a dell because I felt it necessary to use my computer over the Christmas holiday season. No, I wanted something that worked right and didn't require a week worth of troubleshooting to be able to access the bios screen. But come on man, get a grip. Even bring up the possibility that it could be the Expert motherboard at fault and people like you flip out and start throwing around insults. I'm very glad that you have had yours running for three weeks with no problems. Good for you. But guess what? There a some people around here that haven't been so lucky and this is your way of helping out?

All due respect, but it's what comes with the turf. In order for DFI to provide the level of performance they do, there will be more compatibility and tweaking issues than with other motherboards. There are plenty of maunfacturers who build boards to POST and work the 1st time without any tweaking, and there are computer companies who sell complete computers which will boot and run always, forever. Most of us appreciate the choices we have in the market, and choose DFI because we want that performance and build quality, willing to risk the chance of problems. If you NEED this computer, and it's your only one, why would you buy the most technical and high-end motherboard out there?

And on the original topic, I would suggest even removing the HD and Soundcard, and attempting for Memtest-ability. We have certainly seen some soundcard (X-Fi) and HD (Maxtor) related problems, so I wouldn't rule anything out quite yet.