which LCD monitor???

blahblah

I have looked around and researched for a monitor lately.... and i came down to 2 monitors the Dell ultrasharp 1905fp ----> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/p...specstab#tabtop and the Viewsonic VX924 -----> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopd.../xseries/vx924/

The Dell is known as a "top 5" 19" monitor for several sites (Anandtech.com, CNET.com, PCworld.com, and more)..... it has a response time of 20ms.... which i dont like.... since im a gamer...... but it uses 8 bit pixels and has a contrast ratio of 800:1. This monitor has won awards for great picture quality.... Monitor goes for around $319

The Viewsonic on the other hand is another 19" monitor but the response time is 3ms..... this is good for gaming...... but it only utilizes 6 bit pixels....... contrast ratio is 550:1.... This monitor is known for mediocre or average picture quality....

This monitor goes for around $375 + shipping.

Which one should i choose? what do you guys think?

This is a VERY subjective request. Everyone will be in love with their own monitor and pimp them all day long. If you are looking at the Viewsonic 924 - consider teh 922. It appears to be the faster replacement for the 924. I was happy with my VS vp912b until the front panel switches got jacked up and it has been in RMA status for a month now. If I were buying another LCD today I'd probably do the 922 or the Viewsonic 930b. I might consider the Hyundai L90d - it gets a lot of good press for gaming and overall use. Good luck and post back with your choice and results.

hmm...... i think its gonna take me a while to decide...... as for gr8golf suggestions with the different monitors..... yea i looked at the viewsonic vx922 but it was a lil pricey compared to the others...... its around $400 bux..... but i guess its not much difference from the price of the vx924 since i dont have to pay shipping on newegg for the 922........ for this weekend..... hmm...... and i looked at your suggestion of the hyundai L90d+ .... I have to say its a monitor with great reviews and specs.... at first looking at the specs of this monitor i was like "wow" this monitor is very nice........ and the asthetics of the monitor doesnt look bad either...... but upon looking at the buyer negative reviews........ alot seemed to have complained about the vertical lines appearing after a month or so and sometimes even going dead...... but it was only about 70 reviews out of 700+ that had that problem... but thats a 10% gamble.... the odds are for me if i buy this monitor but if i had to rma it i would have to spend about 30-50 bux more to ship it...... and i dont want to take that gamble i would rather spend more on a little better monitor and not have to rma it........ as for thespins suggestion.... that monitor is way outta my price range....... and as for uncledavid's comments..... i want a monitor thats either great in picture/video quality or great in response time.... one or the other......... or i can try to get both =P..... but thats asking too much i think, with the price range im looking at, that is........ i dont think alot of ppl know this but the monitor you game on has alot to do with the performance and quality of the game......... thnx for all your inputs guys..... i guess im leaning toward the viewsonic 922....... or the dell ultrasharp....... more towards 922 but kinda pricey given it is a almost 100 bux difference compared to the dell

20ms response time? man - I would try and get something in between - something with good image quality, but lower response time.

Have you looked at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001185 ?

800:1, and 8ms - for $300 - b00ya! :nod:

[EDIT] 700:1, excuse me - and it only has ANALOG (no DVI) :(

hovever this one has DVI, but $30 more

20ms response time? man - I would try and get something in between - something with good image quality, but lower response time.

Have you looked at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001185 ?

800:1, and 8ms - for $300 - b00ya! :nod:

[EDIT] 700:1, excuse me - and it only has ANALOG (no DVI) :(

hovever this one has DVI, but $30 more

yea i seen that one but the picture quality isnt that good and has washed out color effects because it uses a 6 bit pixel method instead of an 8 bit pixel method like dell...... heres the link on the article about this on anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2428 yea thats why im contemplating because alot of the "faster response time" monitors use 6 bits instead of 8 bit pixels....... as it is either 8 bit pixel displays or the fastest response time displays.... you cant get something for nothing... there always has to be a tradeoff somewhere......

hmm.. I guess since you have a 7800 GT

I would definitely get the higher response time display. It'd be kindof a waste to use that thing for internet browsing/image viewing ONLY, since you have hardware that seems geared so much toward gaming! I've never actually experienced the so-called ghosting on a 20+ms display first hand - maybe some one here who has can comment how bad/not-so-bad it is?

[EDIT] if you really need a screen now, you could get a cheap high response 17or 19inch lcd, and/or wait until prices drop enough to where you can get one like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824116371

Or get the vp930b - which is plenty large enough and much cheaper. Damn - it is hard to pick a winner with the gaming requirements. If I were you I'd do what I had to do to get the extra $100 to get what you want - you will be using it for a while and over time it will be worth it.

check out the va1912wb, its a 19" widescreen (similar to the 2405fpw) but for like $100-$150 less. its got dvi and vga and its native resolution is 1440x900 which i must say is perfect for dvds hands down. it also looks pretty sweet in cs:s and doesnt ghost at all. i was so surprised at how much bigger the 19" widescreen looked as opposed to my NEC 19" crt. i love this thing :)

* 8ms response

* dvi + vga + rca

* SXGA TFT

* 500:1 but still awesome image quality

newegg.com = $325 :)

• 2 weeks later...