Sign in to follow this  
madian225

I think it could be stuffed !!

If in the meantime you get another board, just to rule out any bad component you have for the build, think of it as a mother in law board, something for the kids.........

Or a mistress, lol

you need to slipstream the NF4 drivers onto a Windows install disc, as the floppy ones are old, and often times do not work, i had the same problems. Windows sees the drivers, and even though they are whql certified, it deletes them at the end of the install (when it restarts)...i had this same problem and it took me about 3o disks to figure it out...this should help you a little..i thought my board was hosed and it was windows which was at fault

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=89&t=51140

Your problem is the RAM timings plain and simple, P95 may like it, MEMTEST may like, but windows doesn't. Try upping the voltage slightly or using 1 stick(ad nauseum)

@h_Us3r

^try reading a post^

he is using one stick....the ram sure doesn't sound like the problem to me, what is your reasoning behind this and how much do you know about the expert board..not a flame, just curious to why your conclusion is so "plain and simple"? or is it your 1337 [email protected]><><0r name?

I agree with H_U3er. Your problem seems to be memory. The reboot after seeing WinXp screen is a perfect symtom.

One issue I had while playing with raid. I tried setting up raid for NVidia and the drive would never let me format. I could install on a single drive, but not RAID 0. Trying to use the SIL Raid had similar consequences, but not in same spot. I ended up clearing the drives from the SIL configuration, clearing the config from the NVidia config (F10), low level format both drives and then setup the NVidia raid. Works like a champ now. It seems as if the drives retained info from another previous config and did not like it.

JM $.02

Good Luck

@madian225: dude I have no idea for you but if you hot swap the ram while doing all the raid/windows/drivers tricks, it is highly possible that you may end up with a unlocked cpu :shake:

:spam: disclose: dont take my word seriously...

BEST of luck by the way.

edit: Nevermind [PS: you said you flashed the BIOS, why did u do it while it was working fine (perhaps I missed it somewhere) - and it's possible that ram might be the issue with the new bios (even tough it's memtest stable)...]

Hi

The system was running fine for 3 weeks, the floppy loaded the Nvidia drivers without a hitch and everything was fine, I was having a few program errors but no more than normal when setting up a new system with a firewall, ANti-virus and spyware search programs running.

My problems started as I tried to test the max speed of the RAM as it was a pig to get it to boot on a FSB of 200 with a CPU multi of 7, when I did manage it and upped the FSB to 215 it failed to boot at all regardless of the Data Stregth and DATA strength I used and this is where the system crapped out on me. I had all 4 sticks in at the time.

I am not sure about the RAM as it passes 35 passes of test 5 and 56 passes of test 8 a total memtest time of just under 3 hours but I will pull that stick out and try another stick just to see. Where does one draw the line when testing RAM? how long should I run Memtest for? if no errors occur after 3 hours then should it not be OK or should I be testing for longer on the full Memtest range?

I had been thinking of going for 2 * 1G sticks instead and if it is indeed the RAM then now would obviously be a good time to do that. However, before I do that I want to make 100% sure it is the RAM as I do not want to spend £210 on RAM only to find out it was the RAM at all but the PSU or the M/B or something else instead.

With regards to the PSU I will admit that I have not tried another one yet although it may well come to this as I am trying to rule out ALL possible options before I give up.

I am sure someone else is/may have the same problem and hopefully this thread may help someone to resolve the issue they themselves face so I will keep posting till the board is working, one way or the other.

Hi

A partial result i think.

I now have windows installed on a single SATA drive, which was something that I could not do before.

DFI kindly sent me the RAID files to re-load on to a floppy disk and I also used spinrite to check my hard drive which found no problems. I was a bit worried that the WD lifeguard tool was not deleting all the information so I decided to try a hard drive wiping program instead.

I used Disk Pro (demo version) and found that I had 3 illegal partitions on the drive, I got the full program (not cheap $100) ran it and that seemed to delete them.

I re-booted, loaded windows and used the new RAID files that DFI had sent and everything ran smoothly, no errors or BSOD at all. The desktop loaded without a problem and is currently runnig after re-booting a number of times just to make sure.

I will use this program on my other hard drives as well and then use spinrite to double check all is OK.

So i think part of my problem has been resolved at the moment but next few days will tell.