Sign in to follow this  
pbcustom98

Which CoolerMaster?

I'm looking to get a new case. So far I am only interested in the 810 or the 830. I like the newer style of the 830, but it is x2 the price of the 810. Also, would a crossflow fan be better then 4x120mm fans in the 830? I am looking for a big case, with great airflow. I would also like to upgrade to water cooling or maybe phase (6-8 months), so it would also have to fit everything for that as well.

Also, which 120mm fans would be good to cool down the motherboard, SLI video cards, and chipset? (for the 830)

pb,out.

Not on your list, but I just picked up a Coolermaster Stacker 820 (which I see is not listed on the Coolermaster site right now). I didn't need the extra PS space and I liked the extra 120mm fan instead. Any of these three case will give you LOTS of room! Like you I was really looking hard at the 830. Finally it boiled down to justifying the extra $100+. Just could not justify it. Now that I have had the 820 for a week, I am happy with my choice.

I do not believe you can use the crossflow fan with the 820. But, the 2 120mm fans in the back suck out enough air that I don't need the crossflow. The fans are super quiet. I have an external HD that makes more noise!

It is nice to be able to get my hands in the case to hook up something and not disconnect something else :) I also like having the USB ports on the front top of the case. Makes it real nice to reach over and plug in a flash drive.

The only problem I had was installing the floppy drive. I was absolutely sure the mounts would not work. Even after seeing the pictures on the Coolermaster site, I was positive it wouldn't work. I decided to follow their instructions just so I could tell their customer service folks that I had tried. I'll be damn if the instructions were right :nod: If you go looking for the instructions and pictures, they are hidden with the information for the additional optional SM Stacker Bracket (floppy).

At any rate, any of these cases would give you the room you are looking for!

Good Luck with your choice.

I've got the shark, great airflow (due to side panel) and WC prepared.

I have a TT armor right now, but I'm not such a big fan of it. The side panel doesnt have fans on it for cooling, and the OCZ PSU, doesnt fit right with the wires toward the bottom. Im looking for something with a LOT of room, and the ability for water cooling in the future. I am also looking at a Lian Li PC-V1000, so that maybe a choice also.

so now the decision is..Stacker 810 or Stacker 830 or Lian Li PC-V1000.

pb,out.

Hey pbcustom98,

I have to learn not to post when I am tired! The case I bought is the Stacker 810 not the 820. The 820 is/was for BTX boards. So take my previous reply and insert 810 for 820.

Sorry about the confusion! :confused:

Hey pbcustom98,

I have to learn not to post when I am tired! The case I bought is the Stacker 810 not the 820. The 820 is/was for BTX boards. So take my previous reply and insert 810 for 820.

Sorry about the confusion! :confused:

does the 810 have the holes setup for the cross flow fan? i was wondering, since the pics on newegg have it on the STC-T01, but not for the 810 or 830..

pb,out.

"does the 810 have the holes setup for the cross flow fan? i was wondering, since the pics on newegg have it on the STC-T01, but not for the 810 or 830.."

No, there are vent holes in the right place on the right case panel. But, the MB tray covers them. Coolermaster does not list the cross flow on the 810 (only the original stacker and the 830).

I imagine you could coble something up if you really needed to. Unless you are someplace really warm, I am not sure the noise would justify the trouble. I have heard that cranked up the crossflow is a tad noisy. From my sig you can see that I have 7 hds, a 7800GT, and an X2 4800+. My temps are running CPU = 31, PWMIC = 34, and Chipset = 40, with the stock fans that came with the case. I am really getting to like QUIET! I did mount the SI120 fan blowing toward the CPU. This sucks in room air thru the mesh in the left panel. It didn't make much difference on the CPU temperature but it made about 8 degrees difference on the PWMIC temp. I have to think it also may help the memory and surrounding components. As they say, YMMV!

would the ocz powerstream obstruct the top blow hole fan int the cm stacker 830

i know the powerstreams are 7" deep wonder if it would hit the fan

i decided to get the STC-T01 with side panel and crossflow fan. seems like it is more suited to watercooling then the 830 since it has that huge bottom compartment. hope my temps are lower with the CFF..

pb,out.

Yeah, I have the black Cavalier and it was worth every penny. The only thing I don't like is that the hdd's sit directly behind my 7800gt. It will hold 3 hdd's, but will only hold 2 because the 7800gt is so long the power is to close to the 3rd hdd so I had to buy a hdd cooler and place it in the 5.25 bay. I actually need another hdd cooler as I have 1 other hdd left, lol. Other than that, this case is a very good case IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811119074

Sign in to follow this