IDE at Auto = CHS???

Hi naddie, thanks for that explanation, I kinda came to the same conclution. Unfortunately my problem is a bit different in that Windows also detects it as a 137g drive and so does the Samsung Hutil tool. All attempts to correct this with the tool result in an error message "Error: To Try Again Repower Hard Disk"

Basically somehow the drive has had its size clipped at a firmware level & because the bios wont detect it in the correct mode (LBA, as it's gone back to detecting it in CHS mode) I don't seem to be able to change this. I think I may just rma both the board & disk

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem sorted!! The Samsung Hutil software is buggy and once a soft clip has been applied to the drive you cant undo it. I found a program called HDAT2 which allowed me to return the drive to its former condition & size and all is ok now.

*bumpity bump*

So is it confirmed? Is it a firmware bug? I think I stated myself clearly that:

1) Auto sets IDE to CHS.

2) Even set to CHS, you may still see all of your drive space, or just 137 MB.

3) When you set your IDE channel to "NONE", the OS will still see the HD (this goes with Windows XP, 98, DOS, and Linux).

Can anyone else confirm these?

Thanks.

Yep same for me. The first disk is Maxtor Sata 1 drive & is detected as LBA, second disk is a Samsung SPinpoint Sata II drive & is detected as CHS. Performance tested in windows shows the drives to be about even so surely something is wrong.

Changing to large does nothing. What gives DFI techs??

Same here 2x WD 400GB One reports LBA, other reports CBS. They are one PRI-SATA 3/4. I ended up moving them to the SIL-3114. Because I bought 2 more and wanted to run them in Raid 5.

*bumpity bump*

3) When you set your IDE channel to "NONE", the OS will still see the HD (this goes with Windows XP, 98, DOS, and Linux).

Can anyone else confirm these?

Thanks.

I can confirm this with my puter. I currently have the BIOS set to NONE in the IDE primary channel due to BSOD on boot. When I set it to NONE xp boots fine with no issues and see's the entire drive size of 160G.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I suppose the 1st post had to be with a problem didnt it ! :rolleyes:

I had a few gremlins with at least two of my hdd's and ended up having to

dump the partitions completely and reformat etc, then i noticed this problem of

the drives being seen as CHS instead of LBA and kind of thought that may explain the problems, so it seems i'm joining the club.

DFI currently have no answer for this then?

May try another bios or two in the meantime and see what gives.

TIA

I have a similar problem and will jump in too. MY WD3200JD 320GB is reading as CHS, but at 320GB, and my WD Raptor 74GB correctly reads as LBA, but both are identified as ATA100 and ATA133 respectively. MY DVD-ROM is reading as ATA66, but all three drives are on the nvidia SATA ports. Weird...

• 2 weeks later...

how do you check whether it is CHS or LBA when its selected as auto?

Also, my bios has the option of selecting CHS and LBA, so shoudl I just select LBA for my IDE harddrive instead of auto? Okay to just change it, won't mess up any data on harddrive? running 6/23 bios btw.

how do you check whether it is CHS or LBA when its selected as auto?

Also, my bios has the option of selecting CHS and LBA, so shoudl I just select LBA for my IDE harddrive instead of auto? Okay to just change it, won't mess up any data on harddrive? running 6/23 bios btw.

Compare the settings from AUTO with CHS and LBA. If it the settings matches CHS, then it is in CHS mode. If it matches LBA, it's in LBA mode.

As for switching it, it's not that simple - if you switch from CHS to LBA or vice versa, you will need to reformat and reinstall your OS.