Sign in to follow this  
caebron

NTLDR is missing - what is that?

Think what I'm gonna do from now on, is I'm gonna get another SATA HD on which I'll install Windows again and use that drive only for OC'ing. One that's swappable.

That's a good idea. ;)

Think what I'm gonna do from now on, is I'm gonna get another SATA HD on which I'll install Windows again and use that drive only for OC'ing. One that's swappable.

all you need to do is run memtest built into the bios before loading to ensure you dont corrupt xp.

all you need to do is run memtest built into the bios before loading to ensure you dont corrupt xp.

True, but this time around the board wouldn't even POST.

Oh, I am well aware of that - I just have to keep messin' that's all. As well as I'm aware that wrong RAM settings can corrupt data - but that won't stop me from freakin' tweakin', lol!

Thats what I'm talking about, lol.

I also had this problem recently and fixed it by booting off ox my XP CD and then dropping to the recovery console, and the using the 'fixmbr' command. Restarted the machine and everything worked fine.

You could indeed try that. NTLDR is the NT boot loader. Could be that indeed the mbr is corrupt but can also be the the bootloader itself is corrupt. Could be fixable using chkdsk /r at the recovery console. But fixmbr and/or fixboot are also good ones to try.

I used to do a repair everytime I got that message. However, I have found after repairing and reloading dozens of times that NTLDR is not really missing. If I go back to the bios and go back to a stable situation, the OS lods right up. So if you destabilize your BIOS then first step should be "Reenter BIOS and change back to a stable setting".

I used to do a repair everytime I got that message. However, I have found after repairing and reloading dozens of times that NTLDR is not really missing. If I go back to the bios and go back to a stable situation, the OS lods right up. So if you destabilize your BIOS then first step should be "Reenter BIOS and change back to a stable setting".

That actually was my first step (it seemed sorta, logical, since my toaster wasn't even POSTing), didn't work.

Can't remember if I posted this already, but I actually resolved the issue by unhooking my RAID 0 config, reinstalling Windows and hooking the RAID back up. Not the most efficient method perhaps, but it did work fine.

A good way to be prepared for the NTLDR problem is ceate a Bootable Floppy with a copy of NTLDR stored on it the when you get that problem you have a quick fix.

I ran accross this suggestion on one of the other Forum's.

i always get that NTLDR is missing if i clock the CPU too far (not the RAM), throttling back always fixed the problem tho'...... regardless my HD config the last couple of years......

hey guess, what,

AG YOU SHOULD STICKY THIS:::: IMPORTANT: (at least i think so)(and if i missed it on the Crucial info sticky, sorry)

If u install windows on a SATA drive, UNPLUG THE IDE DRIVE. its REQUIRED.

becoz the ntldr will be saved on the IDE (on my case anyway)

i installed winXP SP2 and x64 and they both got the same problem: if the windows cd is in the cd-rom, it will boot jsut fine if u install windows on the SATA drive while having ur IDE connected.

however, if u take out the CD, it will say NTLDR is missing.

put the cd back, windows boot just fine.

posible solution: fixmbr or fixboot or chkdsk /r

i'll try it now.... damn, that taught me a lesson...... *sigh