Sign in to follow this  
GuiGui

Video artefacts (photos inside)

Gui: Its good that you measured w a voltmeter. I assume you measured at idle. If so that 12.8v, while not necessarily dangerous, is still about 7% out of spec with no load... it has me concerned about what happens under load, or at boot when everything is spinning up. Although the 12v rail may not be the ultimate problem, these boards do like tighter voltage regulation.

I tried for a long while to pull down some specs on that Hegen PSU and couldn't find any. Can you give us the amp rating for each rail as well?

Why do you say it is a crappy PSU?

[quote name='GuiGui']Hi, I am having problems with my new computer.

Everytime I boot up, I get lots of video artefacts and random blinking characters.

---

The only way I found to get rid of this is to clear the CMOS.

After that I can run, restart & reset the computer without a problem
but if I shut it off, artefacts come back and I need to clear the CMOS
again.

Any Idea ???

Thanks[/quote]

bad Video card
this happion to me after OCing (The CPU) newegg did a fast RMA

[quote name='Raphie']did you try other PCI-E slot? it's probably the card itself[/quote]YOU SAVED MY DAY !

I put the video card on the other PCI-E slot and it worked without a glitch ! Actually, I think the chipset ventirad was the one to blame. When inserted in the slot near the CPU, the video card touches the aluminium case. This is my first PCI-E MB, I should have seen that. Now, there is a little spacing (about 1mm) between the card and the ventirad and the whole looks more ... eehh ... like daddy in mummy.

So special greetings to :
- NINaudio for pointing it out in the first time.
- bakermancan for its wonderful NES cardridge analogy !
- Raphie for finding a simple solution yet working ! (shame on me).

THIS BOARD ROCKS !

[quote]I tried for a long while to pull down some specs on that Hegen PSU and couldn't find any. Can you give us the amp rating for each rail as well?

Why do you say it is a crappy PSU?[/quote]Copying what's written on the side of it :
input :
- 4A
output :
- +5V : 21A
- +12V : 10A
- +3.3V : 14A
- -5V : 0.3A
- -12V : 0.8A
- -5vsb : 2A
max :
- +5V & +12V : 130
- +5V & +12V & +3.3V : 185

I say it's crap because I've bought it integrated in a crappy case for 30€ (about 35$us).

**EDIT**
[url="http://www.beflix.com/"]http://www.beflix.com/[/url]

Had a friend with a similar 'artifacts' problem on a laptop. We called Gateway and they told us it was a known issue with the laptop. It turns out the frame was not strong enough and during normal use (carrying to class) the motherboard would actually [i]bend[/i] in the case.

Moral of the story: Sounds like perhaps its a PCB issue on your video card or *perhaps* motherboard. You should definitely try a new video card, most stores have at least a 10-day return policy (make sure its the same interface (PCI-e)). If you see the same effects, its got to be an issue with your motherboard. Then you can use your new word of the day, RMA.

[quote name='GuiGui']YOU SAVED MY DAY !

So special greetings to :
- NINaudio for pointing it out in the first time.
- bakermancan for its wonderful NES cardridge analogy !
- Raphie for finding a simple solution yet working ! (shame on me).[/quote]

No props for me? :(

please make sure that when maintaining to use the lower slot you put it on 8x
also the card should work in the upper slot, so you either need to find the shortcircuit (maybe re-assemble, or take a close look at your card again.

It might just have been that it wasn't properly seated the first time.

[b]The artifacts came back ![/b] :(
After about 5 power off->on (front button), the video card artifacted badly.

Now that I changed the slot for the card, I get slightly different behaviors :
- I can now power off->on a few time before the artifacts arise (as opposed to reset/reboot only).
- The artifacts ALWAYS come back when I shut the PSU off.

This thing is driving me crazy.

(Now leaving to my friend's place to test the card)

I searched the web for that PSU. That coupled with what is written on the PSU, at your voltage results in an amp capacity in the low 20's.

Read the PSU guide [url="http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854"]here[/url]

Do you have access to another PSU?

[font="Arial"][size=2][color="Red"]It's definitely a PSU problem !!!!!!! You can't have all your stuff to run properly with a 10A on the 12v rail !!!!!!!!!!!! Buy a decent PSU and you'll see everything will work fine. You need at least 20 or 25A on the 12v rail. I'm saying this because I used to have that problem with my old computer and I'm sure it was the PSU.
If you keep running with that PSU, you'll probably damage your vcard (if you haven't already...)

Hope it helps :)[/color][/size][/font]