Deleted 110gb of data on accident!!

SoyoJoe

I can believe i did it, i was in such a hurry to install xp that in the text mode to select a drive i deleted my primary back up drive partition !!

5 sec's later i caught on to what i did, i nearly had a heart attack.

Im still in shock. That drive was my primary backup as well. I do have a partial backup with 40gb of data, but thats 70gb short of what was on that primary drive.

I bought spinrite to try and recover the data but it found nothing! ( ran recomended #2 search) I cant believe it.

The partition that was there was deleted, and now there is 233gb of unallocated space.

Im thinking that if create a partition in that space maybe it will help spinrite or further ruin my chances of recovery? Maybe format it as well, but that sounds retarded to me for obvious reasons.

PLEASE!! does anyone have suggestions that might help?

That sucks.

Spinrite isn't the right tool for this job.

You need an undelete or unformat utility. Something that will recover the data.

Here's the bad part... If you simply delete something you can normally recover it. In your situation you not only deleted it but you started writing new data on top with the OS install.

Good luck with your recovery.

I can believe i did it, i was in such a hurry to install xp that in the text mode to select a drive i deleted my primary back up drive partition !!

5 sec's later i caught on to what i did, i nearly had a heart attack.

Im still in shock. That drive was my primary backup as well. I do have a partial backup with 40gb of data, but thats 70gb short of what was on that primary drive.

I bought spinrite to try and recover the data but it found nothing! ( ran recomended #2 search) I cant believe it.

The partition that was there was deleted, and now there is 233gb of unallocated space.

Im thinking that if create a partition in that space maybe it will help spinrite or further ruin my chances of recovery? Maybe format it as well, but that sounds retarded to me for obvious reasons.

PLEASE!! does anyone have suggestions that might help?

That sucks.

Spinrite isn't the right tool for this job.

You need an undelete or unformat utility. Something that will recover the data.

Here's the bad part... If you simply delete something you can normally recover it. In your situation you not only deleted it but you started writing new data on top with the OS install.

Good luck with your recovery.

Well i didnt write anything ontop of it, i just deleted the partition that was on the drive?

The drive is still empty unpartitioned and unformated.

Oh well atleast i can return spinrite for a refund.

Well i didnt write anything ontop of it, i just deleted the partition that was on the drive?

The drive is still empty unpartitioned and unformated.

Oh well atleast i can return spinrite for a refund.

Since you didn't write any new data to the drive you have a better chance of recovering the data. Every drive has a backup copy of the Partition data. The recovery program should allow you to read that data and copy it back to the Master Boot Record.

Keep Spinrite. It's worth every penny you paid. Spinrite looks at the drive and finds then corrects defects. I use it to "recover" drives that are about to die so I can get the data off.

Additionally, I use Spinrite on every new drive to qualify them before use. You'd be suprised at how many defects there are on a brand new drive.

Run Spinrite every few months or at least twice a year on your drives to make sure they're running at peak performance.

You need a tool to do this.. None I think are free unfortunatly..

I have used this one

http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Its only $29.99 for a single licence and it does work.

:: Edit:: if someone finds a free one, please let me know. Its handy to know such things and to use free software on customer's PC's

Yah i noticed that one as well, i might try the demo and if it actually recovers something ill buy it.

Im kinda straped for money so buying spinrite was a stretch. But i would like to have keeped it, i just returned it. Maybe ill buy it again.

A friend has ontrack recovery software that he is goin to let me use, which is great cause it costs around $500.00 :drool:

OnTrack systems makes some serious software.

$1,500.00USD per year unlimited drives.

The $500.00USD version is only good for 20 drives. I go through that a month.

Every shop should have it. I've used it for years and it works wonders.

Yah i noticed that one as well, i might try the demo and if it actually recovers something ill buy it.

Im kinda straped for money so buying spinrite was a stretch. But i would like to have keeped it, i just returned it. Maybe ill buy it again.

A friend has ontrack recovery software that he is goin to let me use, which is great cause it costs around $500.00 :drool:

OnTrack systems makes some serious software.

$1,500.00USD per year unlimited drives.

The $500.00USD version is only good for 20 drives. I go through that a month.

Every shop should have it. I've used it for years and it works wonders.

not sure what version it is, but hes been in IT for over 20 years and pulls in some serious cash, so it might be the full blown version.

I didnt know what it was till he gave it to me and i looked them up online:D

unfortunately when he put it on my memory stick it some how got corrupted and i wont see him till monday and i cant really wait that long.

I found this program by acronis.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/produ...recoveryexpert/

tried the demo and it found everything in 5 min just wouldnt let me restore it obviously.

I cant remember the name of the program we have here but its 150 dollars a pop and can pull ANY deleted data off of a hard drive, we found some stuff on a hard drive formatted 7 times over and the files were 7 years old LOL deleted back on win 95!!!