nF3 250Gb Dedicated Thread.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scores are quite low. I'm a little over 13K with my sig rig. 8500 is what I get with a 2.8 P4 and a 6600GT.

Let's start narrowing it down a little. Could you post your bios settings for DRAM and CPU config. Also which bios version are you using?

Have you tried any of the 77. Graphics drivers?

You need that GART driver installed, if those are the scores you're getting without it. There's also the possibility that you're getting on a server with a high ping dropping your frames per second down to what it is. No matter how good your video card is, if someone is coming on with a dial-up modem or a crappy DSL service, you're gonna get low frames per second. How does Half-life 2 play?

Ok thanks for fast response. my ping is usualy around 20 so thats ok i have a very nice 4mb dedicated connection.

my Bios is the retail version ive never flashed it or tryed to up any settings in order to overclock (FSB,multiplier) etc.

As for drivers whats the difference between Nforce and Forceware?? im confused.

Guest shaolin95

The problem is that there are many GF 6800 owners that are not having issues like me. Perhaps its a xfx issue...ive read bad things about that. I am running the latest nvidia drivers for mobo and video card btw.

Minto, what drivers are your running now. The 8.22 remix drivers are pretty good. All you really need from that package is the SM Bus driver, the AGP Bus driver (GART) and the ethernet driver. I'm using the official 81.95 video driver. The latest is the 81.98 or the 83.12 offical beta. All of the 8xxx series drivers have run well with my card.

What do you have your AGP aperture set to in the BIOS? I run at 512 MB.

Do you have 2 seperate Molex cables connected to your Ultra ?? Tjhe Ultra's generaly do not like having a shared power cable. It's best to run 2 distinctly seperate power cables to each Molex connection on the vid card.

Have you measured your 12V rail with the pc under load ? How stable is your 12V rail. Does it fluctuate under load ?? If it does, by how much ?? You really do not want your 12V rail dropping below 11.85V. The 12V rail supplies power to your vid card and cpu.

When you run a video bench mark, what are the drivers quality settings at inside the nVidia driver control panel ?

What clock settings are you using for your cpu ?? Stock settings are fine, but at stock games can overwhelm the stock cpu and drop frames during intense graphic portions of the game.

What settings are you using for your RAM ? Are you running at 1T or 2T ?

I'm getting great gaming peformance in my rig. My rig is similar to yours, but still a bit differnet. I ran it at stock settings for a while, upgraded my RAM and now I'm running at 10x264 with a 166 divider. The differnence from stock settings is quite dramatic. The extra 264 MHz on the cpu and the tighter RAM timings have boosted my rigs performance significantly.

In my own experience, some games will drop frames in intense graphics. I play BF2, but I turn dynamic shadows and lighting off becuase of those settings kill frames. In CS:S, the newer maps use HDR lighting. HDR drops frames big time. Very intensive cpu and RAM utlilization. It sounds to me that you need to really start tweaking your rig to get better performance. But first, make sure your power supply is not letting you down and that all components are getting a good source of good clean power.

thanks for the detailed reply.

Im using nforce 5.1.11

and NGO nvidia drivers

with everything installed except GART/SMA because i cannot play games with this installed.

my AGP size in bios is 256MB i thought it had to be the same number as your card, ill try up this to 512MB.

Yes i have 2 seperate molex connectors, this psu is brand new and very powerful i bought soon as i decided to upgrade my graphics card.

all my cpu/ram settings are default i havent tried overclocking it because i dont feel i should do with such a "new" system.

right im going to try change my agp size in bios then run 3dmark, thanks for the reply dude. :)

*EDIT*

it gave me a small raise in 3d marks for 2003 free version :- 8859

Perhaps if i update my bios? i have never done this and i do not have a floppy drive

everything installed except GART/SMA

What is SMA ??

Regarding BIOS version, on your post screen, hit pause to freeze and your BIOS version will be listed at the bottom of the screen. The 5/4/2005 BIOS is fine. I think I flashed to it when I got my board this past summer. I don't recall what the board shipped with. The 5/4//2005 BIOS is fine. The 6/23 BIOS is for Rev E cpu's. Your cpu will do fine with the 5/4 BIOS.

Think about getting a floppy drive. You can pick one up at a used pc store for pratically nothing. I paid $2 US for mine, used. Floppy's are useful as hell, especially when overclocking. DFI makes flashing a BIOS very easy with the DFI flash program. I tried the Windows program and had no luck with it. Luckily, I was just trying to reflash my BIOS Saviour with the Windows program and did not hose anything. Always flash from a floppy disk. Less to go wrong.

One more thing, what type of monitor are your using. What resolution are your running ? If your trying to run 1600x1200, with 4x AA, 8xAF......Good Luck.....you will get very low frames. Only the 7 series are starting to run high resolutions with lots of AA/AF. That's the supposed "breakthrough" of the 7 series gpu.

I started fiddling with BF2 after my post to you and found that I can run dynamic shadows and light at High setting with minimal fps loss. My overclock and RAM are helping huge. Before, with 3x512 sticks at 2T, I could never do that. Take a real hard look at your RAM timings. Also, check out if your graphic card manufacturer has put out any recent BIOS for your Ultra. Some of the manufactuerers were correcting 6800 Ultra performance issues with GPU BIOS updates. I still don't understand how you can't install the GART driver though.