Sign in to follow this  
Thermomonkey

Boot hang, and memory dividers

Ok, I've been trying to solve the issue of my computer hanging just before the OS boot, and I can't for the life of me resolve it. Whilst trying to resolve the issue once and for all, i've noticed some very strange things happening.

For a start, a few weeks ago, I had my computer starting up almose every time, no problem, running at 9 x 295, and a memory divider of 120. Today I just installed a new PSU, and if I now put my memory divider at 100, and try booting at even 290, it hangs. I even lowered the CPU/FSB to 4x, thus running my processor at only 1160, and it still wouldn't boot. Now, given that the issue clearly isn' t the ram running too high, it's not the cpu, and my LDT/FSB was at 3x, what else could the problem be?

Another thing, I think i'm mistaken about how memory dividers work. I was under the impression that, if my fsb bus was set to 250, and the ram was set to 120 divider (i.e. 3:5) then the ram would run at 150 ( 250 x 3/5 ) however, cpuz reports the speed as 166. This is the same as when I was running stable at 295, with a divider of 120, it was actually running at 204 according to cpuz and not 177 as i'd calculated. Please tell me how they actually work! Thanks.

One more thing. When I set the FSB to 260, and the divider to 100, then CPUz reports that the cpu is infact running at 200fsb. Could this all be a cpu-z issue? Any other programs anyone could recoganise? A few other things make me suspicious however that the error lies in the motherboard itself.

Thanks for any help.

Try changing the Htt multiplier to 3*, max async latency (MAL) to 9 and read preamble to 6. I've found that they have the most effect on weather the board will hang before loading the OS or not.

Ok... found something else out that's a bit strange. I made a post about a month or so back, saying how when I put 'boot other device' option to on in bios, it made the frequency of my boot hangs less frequent.

I've now discovered, that all my problems have gone away... and the only thing I changed in bios was putting the first boot device to cd, rather than hard drive (now as second). Very odd, and probably co-incidental i know, but if someone else is having boot issues, it's worth a try... and tell me how it goes.

Also now got 4x512 sticks in running at 204 mhz... and hasn't hanged on boot once.