Windows XP Installation Issues

Ahh sweet, Ive seen that setting will switch it on

Install was smooth as anything on both SP2 cds I have ... stick CD in, blue screen comes up and u pick partition etc, install , reboot into the funky windows propaganda thats all great, copys files/configures network and sets up start menu etc etc (so it says) then on the final reboot when the windows xp screen comes up I get BSOD.

Dont have any other hardware im afraid ... once I can halt on the error, will try and see what the STOP error refers to

As for slimstream, this wasnt one that ive produced, it has no special drivers other than what comes with normal XP Corp + SP2. When I stick in the windows install CD and it asks for specific drivers for SATA or RAID, should I be putting in anything?

Am running at 39oC core temp and case is 28oC, chipset is 46oC (stock fan on it)

I don't think that the default windows SP2 SATA drivers are compatible with the NF4 hardware (someone might correct me there) - they are known to have problems. You really want to be using the ones that come either off the floppy you got with your MB, or latest drivers from the web. The problem is that unless your slipstream contains the correct drivers - it is unlikely to install correctly and your BSOD is likely due to a failure when it attempts to load the incorrect drivers for your hardware...

By far the easiest way around the problem is to use a standard windows xp install disk, use F6 to load your SATA/RAID drivers from the floppy that came with your MB when asked (it only waits about 5sec, says something about loading SCSI or additional drivers) and then use a separate SP2 disk for your upgrade. You could also try this method with your slipstream - but I've had loads of problems with slipstreamed SP2 disks as the drivers will conflict with existing windows drivers and not install...

Ok..I'll correct you. You don't need to load any drivers if you are not using an array. Windows sees an sata drive as a pata drive and will install without sata drivers. You load the sata drivers later with other chipset drivers.

I would guess that his slipstream copy of xp just has sp2 slipstreamed and not the raid drivers.

Ok thanks guys, simple thing fixed it for me, plugged the Raptor into SATA 3 instead of 1 and its all fine ! Now to get prime stable at stock and then OC, anyone know what my stepping Opteron 170 should get?