Sign in to follow this  
teamxrsx

Can't seem to get my new ultra-d and opty 165 to run stable stock

OK, so i built a new rig using some old parts from my old rig. I carried over my ram, HD's CD-R and case from my old rig and upgraded to an ultra D mobo, Opty 165 and x-finity 600W PSU along with a GeForce 6600 GPU.

Here is my problem, after finally getting my ram to pass memtest86+ (200mhz 3-3-3-8 1t single channel) i can POST, but can't get into windows. So, i formatted and re-installed windows but had an error, so i had to start over(in the process now). I have tried everything i know of but have run into a brick wall. i can't seem to even re-install windows!!!!!!

my old set-up was socket a w/Athlon xp 3000+ so i had to re-intall windows to get it to work with the new dual core CPU.....but i was not expecting to not be able to even re-install.

Is there anything in the bios settings that i may be overlooking?? please give me a hand.......i'm lost!!

Thanks for your help

CJ

May be silly but double check your memory timings are set up right. On my build last week I had inadvertantly interchanged the last two ram timings in the bios because they are not listed in the same order in the bios as the are on the memory specs.

My rig actually passed memtest but crapped out on prime95 and eventually corrupted windows. Had to reinstall Windows but was still unstable until I figured out my timings were swapped.

What bios are you running?

510-2......i re-flashed the bios to replace whatever the board shipped with. It didn't really help out at all. At least i know i am running the correct bois now.

This might sound really stupid, but i didn't hook up the molex and sata power connections on the board. I did, however, hook up the 24 pin and 4 pin power connector.....i thought the molex and other power connections on the board were power sources coming out of the board, not meant for the PSU to connect into them. My old board did not have these type of power connections on the board so i left them un-hooked because i didn't know what to do with them and i didn't want to fry anything. Maybe this is part, if not all of my problem. Should i hook these power connections up to the PSU???

Thanks

CJ

Plug them in, they are meant to provide power to various sub-sectors of the board.

Correct BIOS is 623-3, I beiieve.

They help with motherboard stability so they wouldn't hurt.

Meh.. I need to determine if I need to reflash my BIOS, dunno if it's supporting my Opteron. (is it being able to run a good sign it does? :P)

May be silly but double check your memory timings are set up right. On my build last week I had inadvertantly interchanged the last two ram timings in the bios because they are not listed in the same order in the bios as the are on the memory specs.

My rig actually passed memtest but crapped out on prime95 and eventually corrupted windows. Had to reinstall Windows but was still unstable until I figured out my timings were swapped.

not silly at all...there are alot of timing values i'm not used to with my old rig. I'm trying to get everything set correctly.

I think my problem is the power connections that i listed above.

I'm afraid to plug them in....i don't know if i should or not????

CJ

plug all of the power connectors in

flash to bios 623-3 or 704 bt

I think the 623-3 works better for my opty165 and tccd

most problems that people have w/ these boards are mem timings, there are a couple of posts and stickies about setting base ram timings to get it running and memtest helps but is far from being a concrete or accurate picture of being stable.

just disable cpc, and bank interleave, use one stick in the orange slot farthest from cpu(if overclocking disable cpu throttling), dissable coool n quiet

run memtest test 8 for a while, then installwindows

OK...plugged everything in.......installed windows without a hitch!!!

Running 3-3-3-8 1t single channel and it seems fine....passed memtest a couple of times (all tests). I used rgone's recommended memory settings to get me going....although not very stable, i was able to install windows and all the drivers.

I need to focus on getting this thing stable at stock speeds before i start overclocking....

Thanks for the help guys!!

CJ

Have you flashed to the 623 bios as you must have the 623 bios for the mobo the reconize a X2 chip. And install amd x2 driver after OS. As you said make sure you are stable first run 30min OCCT and 12hr-24hr prime95.