Angry's Blog of Doom (or idiocy....take your pick)

Angry_Games

um...explain this better for me. I don't understand what you are saying here. I imagine it has good insight, but I can't grasp what it is you are saying because the words don't make sense the way they are written (might be that king's english that a redneck like me wouldn't understand lol)

It's probably more of a question about me not being able to put simple thoughts into likewise simple print. I'm sorry!

What I mean is that all humans comprehend and deal with information from their own personal perspective, which could be described as a filter. Genes, childhood, opinions among members of the family or other close people, experiences and so creates a model for future behavior. In that sense we're not as independent as we think; what we are inclined to think or be perceptive to might in a large degree be determined by the mentioned factors. I don't mean that there's no possibility of breaking the outlined pattern, but if a person doesn't show at least some determination of breaking through he/she might live his/hers entire life in a narrow figurative box of what is possible or not, what is accepted to believe or not.

You and I can for example study the same circumstantial evidence, but end up with opposite conclusions, even though we both tried to force ourselves to be as open minded as possible, still our minds are not without a filter.

I think this is scary. You see humans inherit pattern of thoughts. Each individual is still unique, but some behave like a homogeny mass of copycats… and I think for myself: do I still sit in that narrow box, or have I managed to make some small progress?

I hope this response does fulfill your wish about not involving … [hm] … but if it’s about something else I can’t say.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!

Did this get way out of hand.

If, and this is a big IF, you believe animals have emotions, that's good for you.

If you follow science and psychology, you will know that there are no scientific proofs given that animals have emotions.

The observation of "emotion" in animals has much to do with the anthropomorphising of human emotions on animal behavior.

Much like the gentleman that brings a horse that counts to a show doesn't realize that the horse is watching the man for his reaction when the horse has completed stamping out the right count. The horse doesn't really add 2+2=4, he simply waits for the man to change his posture or some other trigger then the horse stops stamping.

The fact that a rabbit cowers when attacked by an owl does not mean it's afraid. The act of cowering and staying still is simply an instinct response to avoid becoming a meal for the owl.

Are there some mammals that exhibit emotional behavior, yes. Elephants have been observed to "morn" the loss of a heard mate. Some apes have appeared to become despondent over the loss of a mate.

Finally, Koko the gorilla that was taught American Sign Language, has never passed even the most simple tests regarding emotions. Every result has been ambiguous at the very least and shown no emotional bearing for the most part.

The fact that your dog or cat "appears" happy to see you when you come home from work has everything to do with cognitive behavior rather than true emotion.

It's probably more of a question about me not being able to put simple thoughts into likewise simple print. I'm sorry!

What I mean is that all humans comprehend and deal with information from their own personal perspective, which could be described as a filter. Genes, childhood, opinions among members of the family or other close people, experiences and so creates a model for future behavior. In that sense we're not as independent as we think; what we are inclined to think or be perceptive to might in a large degree be determined by the mentioned factors. I don't mean that there's no possibility of breaking the outlined pattern, but if a person doesn't show at least some determination of breaking through he/she might live his/hers entire life in a narrow figurative box of what is possible or not, what is accepted to believe or not.

You and I can for example study the same circumstantial evidence, but end up with opposite conclusions, even though we both tried to force ourselves to be as open minded as possible, still our minds are not without a filter.

I think this is scary. You see humans inherit pattern of thoughts. Each individual is still unique, but some behave like a homogeny mass of copycats… and I think for myself: do I still sit in that narrow box, or have I managed to make some small progress?

I hope this response does fulfill your wish about not involving … [hm] … but if it’s about something else I can’t say.

ya good post...i knew you were meaning something but just didn't express it correctly the first time in english (I bet it was correct in Swedish though haha)

We are all alike in the sense that we are all human and we all have the same physiology and we all possess the same basic psychology...but you are correct, we are all individuals. This isn't to say there aren't individuals in the animal world below us...but for the most part, animals that have been domesticated are the only ones that really show individuality.

Most animals show group behavior.

This is yet another thing I think that separates us (though we all can see individual behavoirs in our pet cats and dogs etc...but this is a trait picked up from human interaction, not a dog or cat's individuality via nature)

but some behave like a homogeny mass of copycats… and I think for myself: do I still sit in that narrow box, or have I managed to make some small progress?

a most important question for sure

are we supposed to all think alike and our problem is that we do not?

or are we all supposed to be individuals and our problem is that there are still far too many of us that are too much alike in our thinking/behaviors?

Most animals show group behavior.

This is yet another thing I think that separates us (though we all can see individual behavoirs in our pet cats and dogs etc...but this is a trait picked up from human interaction, not a dog or cat's individuality via nature)

It's funny though how quickly we "Higher" level intelligent creatures ever so easily fall back into the group behavior.

More often then not it is so easy to get pulled into a "mob" mentality.

lol I have to totally agree

my math theory goes like this:

one individual is quite intelligent

the intelligence however, lowers by a geometric factor for each individual that gets added to the group until you hit a number of say....20 in the group, then the decline becomes exponential, not geometric.

ie: the more morons in a group, the dumber the group

except for DFI-Street tho...of course lol

I do see humans as being smarter than animals but we are still animals thats a given.

the fact that we do pointless stuff isnt an indication that we have more to think about its an indication that we dont have enough to think about. We are a lazy good for nothing race that will probably go extinct through our own sense of self importance.

there is no common goal driving us all except Greed. we have very little to fear in the world so we are becoming more and more lazy about everything.

For a weird scenario if an alien race was to attack us and all our weapons had zero effect on them even our germs (WoTW) didnt do a thing then we be no different than the animals other than we would die first because we do not know how to survive with out our Microwaves and Tv's, Big Macs, Whoppers etc. so what possible difference could thinking do? what possible difference would laughing or entertaining do?

Point im trying to make is superiority is only a matter of persective, when we are behind the gun looking at a dangerous animal you can do all the thinking or laughing you want. but when say a tiger is chasing you I bet you dont think about anything else other than your own survival. All the knowledge in the world about tigers doesnt mean a damn thing nor does the entire span of human evolution or intelligence, at that point you are a monkey and you will do what monkeys do to survive , you will climb a tree or you will be eaten.

We are a lazy good for nothing race that will probably go extinct through our own sense of self importance.

there is no common goal driving us all except Greed. we have very little to fear in the world so we are becoming more and more lazy about everything.

wow...you pretty much hit it right on the head in the fewest words I've ever seen lol

I always try to think about "what if there was a major war and America was nearly obliterated or human civ was nearly obliterated?"

and I cringe at the thought of no stores to buy food in, no hot water or electricity, no police nor threat of police to keep crime down, the hygeine would suffer as would just cutting your finger on a rusty piece of metal...you get sick and there's no doctors...

if this all happened 100+ years ago, we'd be fine because everyone still knew pretty much how to live off the land and take care of themselves and their family.

humans today...rely so heavily on techonology that they have forgotten how to do just about anything for themselves...

I am one of those people that without computers would have a tough time

my dad gives me crap for it nearly everyday

he works hard, get's dirty, and knows whatsup

me?

i go outside a lot, go fourwheeling, etc etc but at the end of the day I'd be just as screwed as Jacko if the world decided to end.

you should get out more and learn to do things like fish and camp and all of the things that go along with it

its refreshing to go outside once in a while...and it's fun to camp and fish and cook fresh fish over an open fire etc lol

its fun to get away from the computer and just read a book once in a while honestly...

Good point, 100 years ago we still had a survival instinct and probably could survive with little resources. if the economic structure of this country flatlined tomorrow the only people to survive would be the smart looters that hit supermarkets and food stores first.

Those of us that hit a TigerDirect warehouse would starve to death infront of an awsome system...lol

Edit, Aw man I love to camp and fish and do the fire thing uuuuUUgh uuuuUUgh. cant wait to teach the kid all that fun stuff

you should get out more and learn to do things like fish and camp and all of the things that go along with it

its refreshing to go outside once in a while...and it's fun to camp and fish and cook fresh fish over an open fire etc lol

its fun to get away from the computer and just read a book once in a while honestly...

It's not uncommon for us to take two week long trips up to Red Lake, Ontario, Canada for fishing/fourwheeling trips.

But we dont "rough it" lol

I skateboard... or used to... and hopefully will start racing motocross next summer.

I'm not the kind of person who can sit inside for hours and hours and hours

I agree about getting away from the computer... gets boring after a while

sigh

At least I'm not one of those kids with greasy hair who's afraid to talk to girls and is ghost white... lol.