Angry's Blog of Doom (or idiocy....take your pick)

Angry_Games

Guest Halvis

(16 Viewing), (10 Viewing), (6 viewing) always, etc.... and very little posting going on, which leads me to my next semi non technical QUESTION HG. Given the number of HITS you see, how many LURKERS do you think are here that NEVER post?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Halvis

"semi-lurkers dont count. (OK, they DO count, but im only interested in the numbers that either dont register and never post, or do register and dont post) Im thinking its a high number.

I can see your criticisms but I sort of feel for the lurkers. Most forms that have any sort of popularity develop their own communities where everyone knows eachother and talks on familiar terms. Its a scary thing to try to jump into an established community like this. I guess they are lucky because there are a lot of forums out there that are much less friendly to newcomers than the Street. The most they have to worry about is not following the forum rules.

I can see your criticisms but I sort of feel for the lurkers. Most forms that have any sort of popularity develop their own communities where everyone knows eachother and talks on familiar terms. Its a scary thing to try to jump into an established community like this. I guess they are lucky because there are a lot of forums out there that are much less friendly to newcomers than the Street. The most they have to worry about is not following the forum rules.

you'd be surprised maybe at how many lurkers email me (they can all follow the rules since they've lurked for a month or sometimes as long as a year before ever registering and they've seen the rules and people get whacked for not following the rules and they can even *GASP!* see the email in my sig so they know how to contact me without having to go through the forum registration process) and tell me how much they appreciate the site and they are finally registered and made sure they followed the rules 100% ;)

That's pretty cool, nice to hear you reporting some good stuff once in a while.

I signed up right away after I bought my first DFI board. As soon as I got to the main page I saw the rules announcement and read it, 5 minutes later I was good to go. That's why I don't understand why someone would not bother to even read them. I think the best feature in the new forum layout is that we have to agree to the rules now everytime we posts in a section for the first time. Sadly some with malicious intents still get through, like the spammers. Could an image verification be implemented like google or rapidshare use? I am not sure how effective that would be, though.

I have registered at plenty of different forums, but usually don't restore the bookmark after a clean install ;). DFI-Street is always the first bookmark I add to the bookmarks toolbar in Firefox.