Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Angry's Blog of Doom (or idiocy....take your pick)

HG, what ATi driver are you running on that X1900XT? Have you tried feeding it some extra volts using ATi Tool?

well

I think it is just a crappy Asus X1900XT honestly

I've tried Omega 6.5-based which is the exact same drivers I use on my X1900XT's that are built by ATI, and all 4 of my cards clock like crazy (2 on full DD Tyee waterblocks, 2 on Accellero coolers)

This Asus of his though...the instant you go above 625 on the core and/or 650 on the memory, it crashes the card and blanks out the monitor (monitor kicks off, but the rig still runs just fine).

I've tried with stock 1.4v on the core, 1.5v, 1.525v etc (his Asus gpu is watercooled remember, but the memory on his card is not, just blue Zalman sinks), I've tried all combinations of damn voltages and settings in ATI Tool and nothing works

then I decided before I'd RMA (or just give him one of mine and send this one to ATI to replace for me since mine are free and I'd rather not RMA something to Asus since that costs Asus money and the card does work perfect at stock speeds), I tried 6.6 CAT drivers and the CCC...

funny thing...it overclocks of course just fine, but the memory limit shows 720 instead of 700 like it does on my 4 X1900's

then here's the real kicker

after clocking it up to 720, all of the sudden after hitting Apply, it only gives you a range of 720 to 800Mhz...and of course 800Mhz = lots of tearing, but 720 seems to be just fine...

I personally think it's an odd card issue, and it's mostly an Asus card/bios issue because all of you guys are running ATI Tool and overclocking decently on your X1900's, and this is the ONLY card I've ever had weirdo problems with heh.

Ah well, another NF4 Expert that I just don't like. OCZ 4000EL Gold 2GB @ 2.7v, 270x10 @ DDR180 divider...and the memory just gets bastard-hot....switching them to Yellow slots = won't boot all the way into windows...put a silent 80mm fan over the memory and they stay crisp and cold...gawd what a tempermental motherboard...I never did like them and I never will like them.

But

At least I've got an AM2 board coming to me by Friday booyah!

So anyway I gave him his rig and then he took it home and we just got done playing about 4 straight hours of Titan Quest together...but the first time he joined the game he had to quit because he said it was tearing so bad he couldn't see anything...which started . me off and at the same time a little piece of me inside just died because I hate nothing more than pouring my heart and soul into a machine and the customer gets it home and it don't %#@[email protected]# work like it did on my bench =(

Every machine I build for customers is different. I only build a couple per month on average because of the time it takes me to do it. Everyone always tells me I should do it full time because I could make a lot of money with custom builds with the quality of work I put into them, but I honestly don't do it for the money.

I do get some money out of it (I charge premium dollars for these builds but the customer always orders all the parts from newegg/SVC himself and I only charge the labor for assembly and overclocking), but each one is very different, even if I build a machine for a customer with the same parts his buddy just had me build a month earlier (I work only on referrals, no advertising).

I guess they are works of art but that sounds kinda gay...but it is true. I'm very proud of my builds, and I get very upset when either they don't work right when they arrive at the customer's place (rare but it does happen on occasion), or worse, when a customer screws them up within a month or two by being an idiot.

Most customers that pay the premium price for these killer builds respect my words of advice enough that they call or msn me with questions about installing this or that etc (and it's funny that they all apologize for bugging me when in reality I am very happy that they respect my opinion and my knowledge enough to ask me before installing dumbass programs or even normal programs that I encourage...it means they actually listened, and the premium money they spent on that rig and me building it isn't just a waste..they want it to last a long long time). So I suppose not too many screw them up, but it does happen.

oops...I am babbling. I always have a let-down or slight depression when one leaves my hands. That really sounds corny I know...but in a dumb way they are all my machines and I put a little piece of me into them...in a selfish way I wish I could keep all of them and just use a different one every day to show it my appreciation for cooperating with me to achieve killer clocks and stability...but that just really sounds weak and lame so I'll stfu hahaha

Angry, Where da f**k is NEOAethyr? Has he been banned, or did he deleted his own profile?? The nf2 section died without him =/

dunno

I am busy enough these days, I can't keep track of everyone lol

NF2 section is eventually going to die the true death (Hyperion reference...!) but there's a couple users in there that are keeping it alive.

Users of commodity PCs like Dell, Gateway and HP, treat their machines like a washing machine or dishwasher. They expect it to work no matter what they throw in it.

Experienced gamers, builders and users of quality rigs are much more selective about what they install.

After listening for a few minutes to what a customer wants installed on a new rig, I can estimate the billable hours I'll get from them for the next year or so.

For a while I swore that I'd tell people that I majored in math, not in computer science so that I would be less likely to show up on their "computer guru" radar. It's not too far from the truth; CS is very similar to math and I minored in math anyway. I don't depend on being people's "computer guy" for a living, so I don't care about passing up opportunities to save my sanity. It always frustrates me when I do make a rare "computer guy" appearance at a friend or family member's house. I sit down, fix the thing (usually it's been overtaken by scumware), and think to myself "this machine will be scummed up again in two weeks and there's nothing except ultra-draconian measures that I can do about it."

Now I understand what it's like to be a dentist (or my dentist anyway). They tell me over and over "brush after every meal, floss daily". I brush my teeth twice a day and never floss.

This has nothing to do with the point of your post, but it made me think;

Well after my last dentist visit (first one since 95) I decided that I like having teeth, so I am going to be flossing after every meal, I already brushed 3x a day, but that's not enough, all kinds of crap gets pushed underneath the gums, and starts rotting away at your teeth from there. Just look at AceGoober's avatar. I don't want to look like that, no thank you.

i've got to go see a dentist to remove a broken chunk of molar that never came out when the molar died =(

my teeth are still straight, and i have a broken front tooth (i claim now it is from hockey when in reality it broke when i tried to use my teeth to remove a child-proof device from a Bic lighter lol)

Ace and I...we are genetically poor when it comes to teeth. He and I both have had conversations about just how bad our teeth our no matter how much we take care of them.

We could brush and floss and rinse and Listerine our teeth 100 times a day and we'd still get cavities and . like that...

while momma (and probably others that you know) on the other hand...she could stop brushing her teeth for 10 years and still maybe get ONE cavity.

She's 23 years old, been to the dentist TWICE (once for a chipped tooth), brushes only once a day, and has NEVER had a cavity, and she never has bad breath etc

she really pisses me off because I work so hard and am very conscious of my teeth and yet they are all going to just fall out all rotten before I am 40 I'm afraid *sigh*

heh

Dentists are a scam!!! Conspiracy!!! heh

pron, drugs, alcohol, etc

should be stuff that you wait until you are an adult until you decide to sample

I'm not advocating drinking, drugs, pron, etc

I'm just saying that it is never good to allow young people with little life experience to experience these things until they've had life experience and can think (hopefully) in proper terms, in proper context, and have the maturity to properly decipher what it is they are seeing/reading/ingesting/drinking/experiencing

I can see your point here, but I can't honestly imagine how I would have lived the past few years of my life without such things.

Drugs and drink are pretty much the basis of social life of most people I know.

A party without alcohol is not a party. This has been the case since I was 14 or so.

Without alcohol I cannot imagine people having a good time.

However, alcohol shouldn't been taken too heavily by teenagers. I can verify this as it has messed me around qutie a bit, and I screwed up with a girl I really liked I while back because of being drunk.

As for drugs, I agree more with the experience idea. I would never touch anything except weed, which is much more benign than alcohol, as I fear them to be too dangerous, and too much trouble can come of them, both legally and healthwise.

Problem is that drugs are easier to get hold of than alcohol is; I got stoned before I got drunk.

And pr0n I'm not sure about.

I think people need to experience all these things as part of growing up, out of curiousity and boredom, though in moderation, and not too frequently. Perhaps it is through such experiences that people do mature.

I'm not quite sure what my conclusion is here, I just posted my thoughts really, but I don't think that such vices should be excluded from teenage life.

My wife has perfect teeth as well, not a single cavity. I know exactly what you and Ace mean, he was telling me his horror stories too. I feel bad for the guy, every time I talk to him he's got something going on. My teeth are basically just falling apart, from an old dentist doing crap work. Most of my fillings crumbled and pieces keep breaking off the enamel, probably from opening beer bottles with my teeth, when I was younger and dumber. He also did a root canal on one of my molars when I was 18 and my new dentist found it yesterday, 8 years later ... WOW. Hopefully this guy is better than the last one.

You don't need alcohol or drugs to have a good time. I enjoy every day, and I've not had a drop in a couple years now.

It's all about the perception. If your idea of having a good time is drinking until you puke, then you'll never enjoy life the way I do. Anything that makes me smile, that's a good time.

I ride my bike, simplest thing in the world. Makes me smile every time. I enjoy dinner parties, and spending time outside with friends. Barbecues, hikes, go karting, these are all much more fun sober. Women like me more for it too, and there's alot of respect to be had for a young man that makes his own decisions.

My favorite part of being sober, I feel good. When I wake up in the morning, there's no headaches, dehydration, cravings. I can have a cup of coffee and check my email without vomiting. I don't sweat or smell funny. My mind is coherent and collected. My finances are in order.

Teenagers want to experience everything in a hurry, and I'm in no position to recommend otherwise. Trust me when I tell you that I wasn't always this tame.

My point is, there are alot of positive aspects to slowing down and living comfortably. I think that there are many other people that could greatly improve thier quality of life by doing the same.

What do you guys define as 'perfect teeth'?

I have a nice set of teeth's... but its very yellow + abit crooket..but never had any 'tooth problems'

I personally do not drink/smoke/etc. I plan to definitely not smoke for the rest of my life and to not drink as long as possible (for the rest of my life if I can). I have arrived at this conclusion for several reasons. One is that I am probably unhealthy enough by not eating what I'm supposed to, I don't need to make things worse. The other is that I sort of tend to have OCD tendencies where I obsessively do stuff (repeat words in my head all day, have a collection of nervous ticks, etc). Some of it is about drinking actually (when I play a game on the computer like CounterStrike, I'll end up taking a swig of a soda or something every time I die and not noticeing it until I've gone through several cans/glasses).

I think I'm just one of those people that can tell that if I started drinking/using drugs, it would become a problem for me and so I have decided to avoid it. Better to stop myself from partaking than to partake and have to deal with alcohol/drug abuse. My parents were smokers for a long time, quit, but started up again when we were in the process of selling our house. I'm sick of trying to get them to quit because they are adults and its not my responsibility, but I just hate the idea that something can grab a hold of a person like drugs do.

Without alcohol I cannot imagine people having a good time.

this really just shows that you are young and have no real life experience

"we have to have dope and booze to have fun!"

lol

*sigh*

you kids...you think you got all the answers, or that us old guys are boring or retarded (or both? lol)

The only persons who would say such a thing are immature kids...no offense...but if you don't know how to have a good time without booze and/or dope, it really does only show immaturity.

I think people need to experience all these things as part of growing up, out of curiousity and boredom, though in moderation, and not too frequently. Perhaps it is through such experiences that people do mature.

I don't deny that everyone should have some experiences to show them a little more about life, but I don't think kids should experience these things because kids just don't have the life experience, nor the maturity to handle such things.

Before you cry out that you or your friends all did, realize that you and/or your friends can each name 10 or more other kids I'm sure that didn't handle it well.

I just don't believe you should do certain things before a certain age (driving, drinking, sexual activity, etc) because you just aren't mature enough. I wish I'd have waited until I was at least 17 or 18 before experimenting with a lot of things...I'd certainly have made a lot of different life choices.

Momma waited until she was 18+ to try a lot of different things...by the time she was 18 or older she had a lot of maturity (most of it from not doing immature things like drinking and drugs and . before being mature enough to understand what she was doing), and she also had mature friends who weren't there to pressure her into being cool, or just pressuring her in any way.

She was mature enough to decide for herself what she wanted to try, and there are things she will never try because she has witnessed too many idiot kids trying them lol.

I'm not quite sure what my conclusion is here, I just posted my thoughts really, but I don't think that such vices should be excluded from teenage life.

Keep in mind you live in a different culture also. Europe is quite liberal and there are not so many taboos like there are here. I've always believed that telling kids/people DON'T EVER DO THAT! means they will run out to do it just to find out why they shouldn't do it =/

I'm not saying everyone should believe in what I believe.

I just believe that as an adult about to turn 33 years old and having more life experience than any 10 teenagers (even the wildest teenagers...you guys would never believe the things I've done in my life), I can honestly say that some things should be left alone until you are a bit more mature.

But I can tell you that I was exposed to Playboy at about age 10 (my brother got a subscription to it at 14 and by the time i was 10 he had centerfolds stuck to the wall of the room we shared, which now would mean instant jail time for my mom who bought him the subscription, but she was always wanting to make sure we knew about . so we wouldn't be afraid of it, but she never gave it any thought we might become sexual deviants...which thankfully we didn't...but we might have...)

It's all about the perception. If your idea of having a good time is drinking until you puke, then you'll never enjoy life the way I do. Anything that makes me smile, that's a good time.

I know what you mean...I play hockey until I nearly puke, and I've always got this huge smile on my face and the guys I play with all think I'm some freako weirdo haha...they all love hockey too, but I don't think a single one of them has ever met anyone like me who loves hockey almost more than anything else in this world, and everytime I skate out on the ice ready to play, I just start smiling because I can't believe I've started playing it, and I'm actually starting to get good lol.

My favorite part of being sober, I feel good. When I wake up in the morning, there's no headaches, dehydration, cravings. I can have a cup of coffee and check my email without vomiting. I don't sweat or smell funny. My mind is coherent and collected. My finances are in order.

yep...mouth doesn't feel/taste like someone took a dump in it...I actually WANT to get out of bed, I don't sleep for 12 hours and then only stay awake for 9 then back to sleep for 12-15 again...I have energy all day every day.

I do still sweat and smell funny but I think that is just my body ridding itself of the slow poison momma puts in my food!

Teenagers want to experience everything in a hurry, and I'm in no position to recommend otherwise. Trust me when I tell you that I wasn't always this tame.

My point is, there are alot of positive aspects to slowing down and living comfortably. I think that there are many other people that could greatly improve thier quality of life by doing the same.

many of us 'old guys' were wilder than any kid on this forum, and wilder than any kid on this forum's wildest friend or acquaintance.

Yer right in that kids think they should experience everything as quickly as possible...but when you finally grow up, you will look back and wish you'd saved some things for later, and you'll also look back and wish you'd saved some things forever and never tried lol.

Sure it makes it 'life experience' but some things are better off not being experienced.

What do you guys define as 'perfect teeth'?

I have a nice set of teeth's... but its very yellow + abit crooket..but never had any 'tooth problems'

exactly what Reel and I just described...our spouse's teeth...they never need to brush, they are straight, white, never get cavities, they never have to visit the dentist for any reason.

yellow, crooked, cavities, constant bad breath (halitosis), etc = not perfect teeth

people who have teeth like mine and Reel's and Ace's but always go to the dentist and have them taken care of so they look straight, white, and cavity-free = not perfect teeth either...because they are high-maintenance =(

I plan to definitely not smoke for the rest of my life and to not drink as long as possible (for the rest of my life if I can).

well, to each his own. Smoking I can agree with. Doctor told me I was 47 years old inside...32 + 15 years of smoking = 47 years old.

I wish I had never started....but at the same time, I can honestly say I enjoyed it (some of you have heard my whole synopsis on smoking).

If you aren't a smoker, don't ever start. It's worse than heroin/crack/meth to get away from.

If you are a smoker, quit and find something better to do like exercise. Live a little longer so you can love a little longer the things and the people you love and that love you in return.

But if you enjoy it then why bother? Just don't subject anyone else to it because it really is a nasty habit and just because you like it doesn't mean you need to make others suffer.

As for drinking...I did all the drinking I ever wanted to do from 14 - 19 years old. On my 19th birthday I got so wasted that I puked and puked and puked nad puked...I threw up from the time I left my bday party all the way home...I stopped the car a few times and puked on the side of the road (the fact that I drove a long way home totally wasted is another moral of the story but you'll see why in a moment that I don't even focus on it).

I continued to throw up (by this time I'm dry heaving because there's nothing but air and bile left in me lol) until i reached my house. I tried to eat some Chef Boyardee's ravioli stuff, and it went down real good...until about 5AM when I woke up and hurled it all up on the bed, on the floor, in the bathroom sink, in the toilet, in the bathtub, in the hallway.

I woke up and tried to drink water and threw it up. I tried to drink OJ and threw it up. I tried to drink coffee and threw it up. I can remember the night before laying my head outside of the door at the party and throwing up into the grass while the rest of my body was still inside the apartment.

It was the most horrible night of partying ever in my life and when I woke up normal two days later, I vowed to never drink again.

For almost 14 years I've kept that promise other than maybe 3 or 4 single drinks spread through the 12 years. I think I've had a single drink in the 4 years momma and I have been together.

I've never had more than 1 in a 2 year period since then. I never will again because everytime my friends or hockey buddies start to offer me booze, I simply remember that night and tell myself only a fool would relive that night.

Keep in mind I am an alcoholic. I cannot just drink socially and quit. I have to keep drinking until I am so wasted that I am tossing up everywhere.

I honestly cannot believe that the couple of drinks I've had since my 19th bday have not resulted in me going on a bender..but the less I tempt myself, the less I have to worry about waking up in a pile of my own stinking puke.

I have to say that until that night, I was a regular drinker like most kids 14-19 are in junior high/high school. Small towns provided us little to do on weekends/summer other than getting wasted, or so we said as an excuse.

I don't miss it at all. I won't even go into my doper stories as it is not appropriate here, but lets just say I've learned a lot of hard lessons and if anyone ever wants to talk in private about their drug or drink addiction to someone who is real and isn't going to just give them the lame 'churchy' or 'parents' bit, I'm the guy you want to talk to (ask Charlie from the forums here lol).

Not that I want to counsel anyone...but if you can only find the preachy bastards to talk to, I'd rather you talk to me or any of the guys here who have been through it before and aren't all preachy. We are just realistic adults with plenty of life experience and have made the same stupid, crappy choices you have (and we are still alive to give you a little guidance if you want it lol)

I think I'm just one of those people that can tell that if I started drinking/using drugs, it would become a problem for me and so I have decided to avoid it. Better to stop myself from partaking than to partake and have to deal with alcohol/drug abuse. My parents were smokers for a long time, quit, but started up again when we were in the process of selling our house. I'm sick of trying to get them to quit because they are adults and its not my responsibility, but I just hate the idea that something can grab a hold of a person like drugs do.

it's good that you can recognize this in yourself. You gotta do what you feel is right.

As for parents... they are adults and they know better, and you can't babysit them or lecture them like they have done for you all your life. You already know this, and you also know that nagging them is not going to do anything but make them resent you in certain ways (no matter how close you are to them, nagging will build a little rift even if they agree with you).