Angry's Blog of Doom (or idiocy....take your pick)

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heads, LOL.

Wild fires are bad, you cant breath or see anything over 100yards. I just moved from Montana 2 years ago to Kentucky and the wild fires in the rockies(Glacier National Park) the last year we were there, we could see the smoke 300+ miles away, and still smell it too. So I understand, but the rain and storms here in KY are the worst, I swear. I thought the river was going to float my house away this spring.

Happy, I just read your Niner post on your site or whatever and I wanted to know how you got Mamma to even be interested in computers. My wife, of 11 years, highschool spanish teacher, she uses rig#2, for web surfing. I use it for gamming but Im into my new CFX now. Anyhow, I wish she would play games or at least understand some of what I do with these systems. I try to explain, but she doesnt care, also have bought her about 10 games and she will not play them. What does Momma play? and How did you slowly start to explain Ram, GPU, CPU etc. and what they do? As for her understanding why Prime has to run for the whole day, no way, I had to buy a laptop just so she could surf while I overclock. I get about 2 words in and she is lost. I even had her help me build my CFX rig and in 20min's she was gone. Any sugestions? Or is this just a lost cause. I am disabled and computers are my life, I just want her to understand some of it.

One last thing, this is the first time I think I have wrote to you, or even tryed to approch you. I read the post about how, why you changed to Happy. I got very upset and wrote to DFI and let them know that you are the foundation that holds up DFIstreet. I think that you have done a wonderful job. I use to visit a lot of forums, now this is my home base and rarely go to many others. I would say if they are not happy, (not you, the feeling happy, LOL) then why do they come back for more, over and over. I know they want to make waves, well let them! All your hard work should not go to waste over a few wave makers. I think DFI would get the most complaints ever, if you were to shut this place down.They would be crawling back to you, begging you to open it up again. Just my thoughts, keep up the great work and know that 99.9% of us like what you do and could not function without this place.

I dont think you hear this enouph, Thank you for this forum and everything you have done, for all of us! Just another very happy DFI customer and DFIstreet member!

Welllll here's my answer to your question. Angry got me hooked on games by sitting me down one night in front of Diablo II. He told me to take the mouse and point and click on bad guys to kill them. So I did it and magically they dropped things that I wanted to dress my dude up to kick butt. I played the crap out of this game for about a year because its so simple but yet complex enough to keep my attention that long. He taught me how to play FPS by sitting me down in front of Unreal Tournament and showing me how to spam dudes to death. It took me awhile to get this game but I finally got it down and I must say I am one of the best snipers in Face, hehe.

Pick something that you two can play together, that's really important. Don't get frustrated and angry while trying to teach her something new, she hasn't played games so it might take her a minute to get it. And last of all, let her win out of pity every now and again just to keep her wanting to play. We used to spend hours together playing Unreal Tournament over the lan at home and its some of the best times we have had together.

At the moment, I can't wait to get into Titan Quest.

Besides what i have mentioned, I love Dungeon Siege I and II, Neverwinter Nights and all of its expansions, and WarHammer.

Do you have an XBox or PS2? I love to sit down and play Burnout and a good game of hockey as well so that could be another way to get her.

As for explaining computer stuff, Angry uses a lot of analogies to help me get it. He might be able to explain them better than I can because he thinks them up on the fly all the time because I get that blank look whenever he rambles on about complex stuff. Another important thing is to take interest in something that she is passionate about because if you show interest in what she loves, maybe she will understand your love of computers. I don't claim to ever get half of what he is saying but I will listen and pick out some parts to store in my memory because he sits and listens to me go on and on about what I care about.

Just keep the faith and keep trying. It doesn't always click with some but maybe she will take an interest. Good luck!

well

the most important thing you can remember is that you can't force someone to like the things you like

we have a way of growing apart as we get older and stay together longer...but that doesn't have to always be true.

A lot of times you don't know that you like or dislike something until you actually try it...

And I'm not just talking trying it while bitching to yourself or already hating it with a closed mind...I'm talking about trying it with an open mind and being mature enough to tell yourself "it is ok if I actually like this, no matter how much I want to not like it".

That's the biggest downfall to relationships going south...or friendships going south, etc.

You think you hate something 'gay' like ballroom dancing...but then you decide that it might actually be kinda cool to learn how to dance the classic styles with your wife...and of course she will LOVE this because it's totally a "chick thing" (or your gay cousin's thing etc).

So you go into it with a relatively open mind knowing that she will really like it, and if it makes her happy, you should try your best to at least try to like it....and BLAMMO you find out that it is really cool to learn how to dance the Waltz, Flamenco, Foxtrot, etc (stuff we are going to learn this August!).

HOLY $@#$!!! WTF???

You like to dance??? hahahahahahahaha

Now...here's the SUPER IMPORTANT PART

it works both ways...

you give a little and open up your mind to listen to NPR with her, put up with her listening to Shakira, watching chick flicks with her (and end up liking some like Wicker Park was pretty cool), and so forth.

She needs to do the same for you, and open her mind. You opened yours and tried the things she liked because you love her enough to realize she's the most important person in your life that you would do just about anything to make her happy...but more importantly you know that couples that play together, stay together

This is SOOOOOOO @#%#@$#@ important that I can't belive, CANNOT BELIEVE that people still don't get it!!!

She needs to take a look at the activities which drive you with a passion...for me it is ice hockey, guitars/music, and computers/gaming.

So we'll use momma as an example, but in your mind, you two can fill in whatever your passions are (I expect you to be reading this together...it doens't work if only one of you reads this!).

When she met me, I loved computers and thats about it. I've always loved my guitars and music, but I was in a deep depression over my mom and 10+ years of bitterness to the last band i was in so I didn't have a guitar for 10+ years.

But anyway, it was computers and gaming.

Momma...well...she just really didn't like it. She could never figure out why "all the boys" had to sit around and play stupid games (just like we could never figure out why all the girls did the stupid things they liked to do).

BUT

and here's the IMPORTANT "but"

BUT

she realized that if we were to be together long after the passionate flames died down a little to a comfortable fire (because the hotter a fire burns, the faster it burns out, but all fires are the hottest at the beginning as that is how you get it to burn long-term...the heat stays at the bottom and burns just enough to always ingite new fuel that is laid on top), then she had better sit down and have an open mind on why we stupid boys play our stupid video games.

What's the easiest game I could think of that we could play TOGETHER?

Diablo II

I'd just finished...oh say 4+ years of playing it lol..and knew it inside and out, but was totally burned out...but...how much easier does it get than putting your pointer on a bad guy and click click clicking until he's dead and a bunch of shiny treasure drops from his body?

Oh yeah...easy stuff.

See...you don't try and teach them "battlefield mechanics of tank gunnery during skirmish warfare" from Battlefield2 as your first foray into husband/wife gaming.

That's like her dropping you into the middle of a soap opera and trying to explain, as each new character comes on the screen, what his background is and why he's got that girly little mustache and why all the girls on the show hate him yet sleep with him.

See...it don't work like that, now does it?

So you begin with easy stuff...and you begin with stuff that appeals to YOUR WOMAN (or man...but a man who don't like video games is really just a man who took a serious head injury at some point and never recovered).

She maybe ain't so down with blasting commies with anti-tank guns from a mountainside while screaming for your Apache attack chopper to COVER ME GOOOOOOOODDDDDDDAAAAMMMMMIIIIIITTTTT!!!

She might, however, be down with the whole D&D thing (ie: fantasy stuff like Dungeons & Dragons, Everquest, World of Warcraft, etc).

Or maybe she'd be down with The Sims (which I find to be a stupid stupid stupid game...but chicks REALLY like it for some reason...if they had "The Sims Get Nuked" or "The SIms Ultimate Fighting Challenge" then maybe I'd like it more lol).

OR

and this is a killer one

the OLD classic Sim City

I mean...how can you possibly go wrong with old Sim City?

There's only a single, easy goal...build a city!! Manage it!!

The point is...you got to get her interested a little...enough for her slightly open mind (that she didn't want to open to your stupid gaming habit anyway) to stay propped open a little while longer to keep playing/trying the game or new games, or whatever you are interested in.

I can remember momma not really liking Diablo II at first...she basically gave me that "ok whatever" attitude, but like a good wife, she knew it was important to TRY to like it because it would be something I would be doing for the rest of my life.

She knew that there would be MANY lonely days/nights when I would be playing Xbox or my computer games, and she'd be...doing whatever WITHOUT ME.

So why not do it WITH ME???

(oy...what a concept!)

Well....I don't remember when it happened, but I remember that she wouldn't budge from the computer chair and all I heard was the clank clank clank of her Diablo guy smashing something with a sword or hammer or whatever...and then soon she was yelling at the monitor about how she was gonna kill this creature or that, then it evolved into talking smack (in between her yelling because she died...she can curse like a sailor when you make her unhappy by killing her in a 4th level dungeon lol).

It eventually evolved into me trying to get her to try something else...Eve-Online, the massively multiplayer game we still play together 3 years later, was next. It was so easy...she could do little things like mine minerals or courier missions while she did her homework.

This was great...but I still had one more level of wife-testing to go...

And yes, it did involve the big kahuna...FPS GAMING

This is where I had failed many times previously...but this time, I was going to use all of my combined "you stupid dumbass" mistakes to make sure I did it right.

And doing it right = not getting her and you into a Deathmatch map and then yelling "DIE classy lady!!!!" and creaming her 44 times in a row with a rocket launcher...

keep in mind..she's never played FPS games...you maybe been playing them so long, you forgot how hard it was to learn them and all the little controls and ways of controlling.

And pleeeeaaaase...stop lying...ok? You were NEVER that awesome when you first learned how to move around and shoot and jump at the same time with WASD on the keyboard and the mouse in the other hand...so just stop...and remember...she's just like you WERE.

So be a good teacher...and get a game that has bots like Unreal Tournament or Quake3...something simple yet fun yet easy to get you both into and will run on both of your rigs and yours as a listen-server (ie: you can play and use as server for her at same time). Or have a dedicated game server like I always have (used old AThlonXP or old Pentium4 for it forever)

Drop say....20 bots in Face and you and her on the same team...show her the sniper rifle...then show her how to get up to the middle ledge...then show her how to zoom...then show her how heads pop off those bots when you blast 'em

pretty soon...it all comes together...and then you can get her interested in other games.

ALWAYS make sure you find out what her interests are...chicks dig games like Popcap games (Bejeweled, etc). Chicks also dig Everquest or WoW. Chicks also dig Diabo, The Sims, Sim City, old NES/SNES games like Dr Mario (my buddy's wife was so freaking awesome at Dr Mario that I finally told her I refused to play against her anymore).

Never stress verbally how important it is that she (and this goes for you on her interests also) begins to "play together" with you.

As I said, you cannot, CANNOT force someone to do something they just don't like. If they try it...REALLY try it, and don't like it, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Period.

Well..get a divorce and date some woman that is 10 years younger like I did...but I'm gonna say take a pass on that bit of advice because the whole point is playing together to stay together.

What good is a marriage/relationship if after a few years you've totally grown apart, and have very little interest in the things each other does?

Then again, I'm not a marriage counselor, but I play one on TV.

And I stayed in a Holidy Inn Express last night.

So...my overall point is...both of you read this...and both of you sit down and have an open, honest discussion about why you don't do more "together" things. Being disabled can be a factor, but it shouldn't be if you both still love each other.

Like I said, the flame may not be burning white hot like it did when you were teenagers diddling around with each other jumping at every little sound thinking her parents were gonna smash down her bedroom door and catch you in there...but it still burns enough that she hasn't poisoned you to death (check the tips of your fingernails daily though...if they turn bluish then she's poisoning you lol) and you've not loosened the lug nuts on her car's tires...

;)

Yes I agree, I do about everything she does but its the gamming that I just cant seem to get her into, tryed the bejewled and simcity classics, but on the other hand while I sit here she is taking my bandwith up, surfing and I guess thats close enouph. At least she is in the same room with me. But at the same time its been a long 11 years 4 kids and my disability. Through all that being that she is, a major nerd, teacher, cathlic school, you know. I got her into camping, hunting, fishing and of course, to party, HeHe! So I guess Ive come to the conclusion reading from Mommas point, that it may not be the gamming thing, it may be all the other stuff we now share. Man, who could complain about a wife that teaches but parties too, LOL.

I showed her your responce and I think just the fact I wrote to you all about this, has made her more accepting of the whole thing. She knows how much Im on DFIstreet and I said well you are kinda a DFI customer too, since your system is a nF4 and she loves it. I mean, that stupid Dell she bought last year without my consent is sitting at her school now and she wont let my kids even touch her DFI rig. So she does like the fact that I know what I know. BTW she says hi to Mamma and thanks her for opening her eyes a bit more. Now shes wants me to install 1602AD, an old sim city type game, I played years ago. I guess out of all this I may get some gamming out of her yet. Just the fact that Mamma wrote sparked her intrest, so I thank you.

One last comment, I am 35 going on 36, disabled for the last 4 years and I had 3 surgeries this past year. If it wouldnt have been for my DFI's and overclocking I dont think I would have made it through. These boards have given me goals, that's something I no longer had at this time last year. Due to limited mobility and motivation I have had a boring couple of years. I beleve that my wife knows this, thats why she doesnt nag at me on my games and overclocking. If it wasnt for my building and overclocking I would be bed ridden, but they give me the motivation to get out of bed and stay out in the familyroom with my wife and four kids. I cant stresss enouph how much DFI and this forum have been my rehab to a better life. Thanks again!

Ok, enouph of this peace and love ., back to hard core overclocking and gamming.

don't forget to kiss your wife twice a day and tell her how much you love her (twice a day also)

she's the first face you should see in when you wake up (which deserves a kiss and telling her how much you love her) and she's the last face you see when you go to sleep (so again with the kissing and telling her you love her)

not that you need me to tell you this...but just in case any of these young punks who are just-married are reading this ;)

On the topic of female gamers, there are alot of girls that like WoW these days, my friends live in GF plays with him daily. She's better than he is.

My GF won't play Sim City, but she'll pick up a PS2 controller, or even get into a lan battle of Mission Risk. She has a "Pogo" account, and that's the kind of gaming she's happy with. Saves me money, I don't have to hop up her computer while I'm doing mine. I'll do it at my leisure instead, which is fine by her.

I had another friend, a pretty tech savvy guy. Does network admin for big money.

He convinced his GF to move in, and tried to get her into Eve Online. bought her a PC that matched his in gaming specs, all set up beautifully in thier office. Well, she never used the Eve acount, barely used the PC, and now lives with some one else.

You can't tell some one that they should like something. Some girls will never like PC's (think about what a nice diamond that $2500 computer could have bought) and that's just the way it is.

I'm glad my girl likes the games... soon I'll be in trouble though, her 3 year old son wants to use my gaming PC! He has his own online games too.. something at the sesame street site, he knows the bookmark in firefox already..

Anyways, back you A_G. :)

Yeh, I didnt want to force her, just trying to get her to try. Its funny though, I asked if she wanted a new set of Dimond Ear rings, or a new Tattoo for her B-day comming up and I just think its funny because, she wants the Tatttoo. So dimmonds are some girls best friend, but not my wife, she wants tattoos. I knew she would say the tattoo, in fact I said you want to get a babysitter, hotel room and lots of party supplies for you b-day instead of the tattoo? Her answer, Tattoo! So, like I said earlyer, I am lucky in so many ways and really cant complain about the gamming thing. So, dont always think that dimonds are going to get you that 10, on the scale of what she wants.

Diamonds aren't my friend but its for a whole other reason. Everyone is different and I am so glad that you guys are at least talking about it and that's she's opening up to it. Tell her I said hello back!

how not to lose your cool teaching someone to use a computer?

learn Buddha's mantras and keep yourself calm (and always remember that not everyone knows what you know and is good at the things you are good at and can learn as fast as you can learn)